2014 US Open Quarterfinals: Djokovic vs. Murray

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mile said:
Time to confirm there were never big four.

I don't agree with this. The Big Four were a solid block at the top of the men's rankings since Djokovic joined in 2007 and Murray in 2008. It's only in the last couple of years that it has really even wavered. That was a glass ceiling that was fairly impenetrable, for mostly 5 years, and is still a force. And who has a slam outside of them, since Marat Safin (ret.) AO 2005? DelPo and Wawrinka, one a piece.

Djokovic is playing very fine tennis, but Murray just got a big win over Tsonga. Obviously edge to Novak, but Andy could surprise us, if he's stays in it, and confident. He has survived the bigger test.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, not the best match-up, but it still should be a good match.

Djokovic in 4 for me.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mile said:

:snigger Nice.

Slam counts are Fed-17, Ralf-14, Nole-7, Murray-2. Looking at them, one could say there's only been the "big" two with an interloper and a wannabe messing things up.

Maybe there's never been a "big" four, but over the last so many years there's been "the four" and everyone else.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Mile said:

:snigger Nice.

Slam counts are Fed-17, Ralf-14, Nole-7, Murray-2. Looking at them, one could say there's only been the "big" two with an interloper and a wannabe messing things up.

Maybe there's never been a "big" four, but over the last so many years there's been "the four" and everyone else.

That's cool, nehmeth, and in a lot of ways we agree. (See my above.) I don't think the intention is to say that it's Fedal, then two, then the rest. That's too simplistic. However, I think Mile's intention was to say that Murray doesn't rank with the other 3. (Forgive me if I'm reading in.) But Murray has hung in the top four, and also won some top prizes, which others haven't snagged, at all, or with any regularity. I think if you're inclined to say "The Four," then you may as well concede to a "Big Four." Besides 2 majors, which no other active player has, beyond the other 3, Murray has a OG Gold medal, and a least 8 MS1000 trophies. He's part of the group that has kept other players from getting more trophies, and mostly, from getting to the top of the rankings.

Look at other players that straddle the heights, and regularly: Ferrer has 1 MS shield. Berdych, too, and both are perennials in the top half of the top 10. Berdych has 9 career titles. Murray has 28. He's really not just a bride's maid, IMO.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was simply agreeing with Mile that there never was a big four. At this point in history, for this era, there is Roger and Rafa. Then there is Novak... and Murray. Bigger four than the rest of the tour could work!

By the end of the tournament, either Murray could have his third slam, Novak his eighth, Stan his second or Roger his eighteenth. The only thing for certain is that Ralf will be stuck with Pete at least until next year. :snigger

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I think you're shorting your guy a little buddy. Novak will end up in double figures and will be a cast iron all-time great and will also have enjoyed spells as a dominant number one (essential IMO).

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
murray was in the top 4 of rank for most of 2008-2013 period.

"the big 4" was a reality for that reason, but clearly he was the 4th member in terms of majors won in that time.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
^ I think you're shorting your guy a little buddy. Novak will end up in double figures and will be a cast iron all-time great and will also have enjoyed spells as a dominant number one (essential IMO).

Well, if he'd won a few of those five slam finals he lost, he would be in the mix with Fedal. And in the future, you're right, he could be right up there. Presently he has half of Ralf's haul who is still three behind Roger.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Joker in 4. Murray will retreat into his tortoise shell. Nole loves the bright lights big city.

I think Flushing is always Murray's best chance for a slam, support at Wimbledon not withstanding. If it's windy then I'll even give the edge to Murray, but otherwise... sadly.. Novak should win it comfortably

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
This is a real test for Nole to prove he is focused and back to his winning ways. Murray is playing well here so we'll see. I always back my guy, of course.:D

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
This is a real test for Nole to prove he is focused and back to his winning ways. Murray is playing well here so we'll see. I always back my guy, of course.:D

Still believing he can take down Murray in three.

I just hope he keeps focused on each match as it presents itself without looking toward the final. I get burned out just thinking about a Murray, Stan, Fed gauntlet. :nono

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Billie said:

I just hope he keeps focused on each match as it presents itself without looking toward the final. I get burned out just thinking about a Murray, Stan, Fed gauntlet. :nono

Yeah, not the easiest path to the title, but he hardly had anything easy in his life so this shouldn't be any different.

I always believe in him, even when he fails to deliver sometimes. If he plays like he can then he should move on to the semi final. But I respect all other players and Murray is one heck of a player so we'll see. A few times in the past when Nole comes out focused and on the ball, it kind of breaks Murray's spirits and Nole wins, but if he is little off and Murray is playing really well then it is a battle that can go either way.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
It's interesting to see the Big Four discussion. Obviously Murray doesn't have the sheer numbers to be up there with the other three, but on the other hand, he was part of that top four, ranked as high as no. 2 on more than one occasion, and if you do leave him out, does that mean you put him in with the next guys? You can't really:

Murray - 2 slam wins from 8 finals, Olympic gold medal, career high rank 2, 9 MS titles.

Ferrer - 0 slam wins from 1 final, WTF runner up, career high rank 3, 1 MS title.
Berdych - 0 slam wins from 1 final, SF of all slams, career high rank 5, 1 MS title.
Del Potro - 1 slam win from 1 final, Olympic bronze medal, career high rank 4, 0 MS titles.
Tsonga - 0 slam wins from 1 final, WTF runner up, career high rank 5, 2 MS titles.
Wawrinka - 1 slam win from 1 final, career high rank 3, 1 MS title.

Clearly, the answer is that Murray is (was, if you want) in his own tier 1.5 in this generation, but if you had to choose between the two alternatives presented above, I think he belongs more in the big four than out of it.

Anyway, I'm getting nervous for tonight, but I do believe. Go Andy go!

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Billie said:

I think this will be another MurrayVic,as some like 2 call their match up's,if it is,i think Fed will have his best chance to get another Slam.If Murray or Nole win in 4 sets,i give them both a chance in the Final,if thay get init.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
I was going to say it might be time to start thinking about how Stan would match up with Federer in the final, but he's struggling to negotiate his way past Nishikori at the moment.

If Kei wins, I don't see him getting any further but if Stan gets through I give him a very decent shot against Murray, who he's beaten twice in NY, and a slim chance against Djokovic too.

Cross that bridge when we come to it though, much tennis to be played before then. I'm off to bed now to try and get 3 hours kip or so.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
The Big 4 for me was more about the players reaching the semis, finals and winning tournaments. It was for a long time the same 4 guys. In terms of titles Federer and Nadal are obviously in a league of their own. As is Djokovic. Murray is by far the best of the rest.

I won't be able to watch but obviously my boy does it.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think Andy takes it in 5, even though it will mess up my draw challenge :/

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
I was going to say it might be time to start thinking about how Stan would match up with Federer in the final, but he's struggling to negotiate his way past Nishikori at the moment.

If Kei wins, I don't see him getting any further but if Stan gets through I give him a very decent shot against Murray, who he's beaten twice in NY, and a slim chance against Djokovic too.

Cross that bridge when we come to it though, much tennis to be played before then. I'm off to bed now to try and get 3 hours kip or so.

if fed makes past berdych and if stan had won....

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
hopefully serena finishes pennata off so this match can start and i can go to bed at a "reasonable" time hahaha