2014 US Open Quarterfinals: Djokovic vs. Murray

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Cahill at the beginning of the fourth set made an interesting comment. For Murray to aggressively go after every shot here required a lot more energy than the way he normally plays. It was the only way Andy could stay in the match with Novak and in the end, it tapped out his reserves faster.

Yes, but in general Djokovic is a better athlete and a more effortless mover than Murray. That's one of the main reasons that his career results have been better. Murray has to exert more energy than Djokovic to compete when each is playing near their top level in H2H matches.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
So will there be talk now about Murray firing Mauresmo, or will she be on board until the end of the year?

This is a brutally sexist suggestion. Mauresmo might just turn out being as good a coach as Lendl was for Murray, you never know nehmeth.

The only issue seems to be that thus far Murray's results with Mauresmo as coach are like Michael Sam's performance at Rams camp: apparently not quite up to par. Just inadequate.

I have to applaud Murray though for being progressive by hiring Mauresmo. It really helped Dimitrov progress in his career by getting that big Wimbledon win in the quarterfinals. During that match, Dimitrov's dominance in the scoreline just kept progressing and progressing and progressing some more, thanks in part to Murray's progressive hire of a female coach. It was a really progressive moment that day. You could just feel it in the air.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Didn't get to see the match and I've avoided the highlights.

Congrats to Novak.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Iona16 said:

Congrats to Novak.

Oh, you should watch the highlights. Your boy had some fire in the forehand (not being
sarcastic here) the likes of which we have not seen from him before.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
nehmeth said:
So will there be talk now about Murray firing Mauresmo, or will she be on board until the end of the year?

This is a brutally sexist suggestion. Mauresmo might just turn out being as good a coach as Lendl was for Murray, you never know nehmeth.

Male/female isn't the issue at all C.

And I will admit, it's hard to tell how much of it is Murray making his way back from major surgery and how much is as JLLBorg stated Murray's own loss of drive after winning Wimbledon. Those are factors we can't measure and I guess it would be unfair to allow the burden of it to fall on the new coach.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Iona16 said:

Congrats to Novak.

Oh, you should watch the highlights. Your boy had some fire in the forehand (not being

Good to know but I never watch a match I know he loses.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I don't care if Murray has a male, female or a hermaphrodite as a coach, but someone PLEASE fix his second serve...

Very impressive forehands last night by the way.

Yes it was impressive. I have never seen him hit it like that.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Likewise. Some serious hitting in set 2.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iona16 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Iona16 said:

Congrats to Novak.

His forehand was downright scary for a good set. Looked like Delpo out there. If you can stomach it, the highlights are incredible.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I don't care if Murray has a male, female or a hermaphrodite as a coach, but someone PLEASE fix his second serve...

Paging Todd Martin;)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
1972Murat said:

Paging Todd Martin;)

Todd Martin still uses a pager? Well, that explains something ;)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Iona16 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Iona16 said:

Congrats to Novak.

His forehand was downright scary for a good set. Looked like Delpo out there. If you can stomach it, the highlights are incredible.

I rarely watch replays of Rafa's losses, so I understand not wanting to see your guy go down, but Riotbeard isn't exaggerating. Murray's forehand was incredible -- best ever -- for stretches the other night. Seeing such play might make you feel a bit better right now.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Riotbeard said:
Iona16 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Iona16 said:

Congrats to Novak.

I rarely watch replays of Rafa's losses, so I understand not wanting to see your guy go down, but Riotbeard isn't exaggerating. Murray's forehand was incredible -- best ever -- for stretches the other night. Seeing such play might make you feel a bit better right now.

The trick here is not to watch the whole match. Iona should watch those parts of the match
where Andy was doing great.

I guess for that somebody should give her an edited version of the match. Pavlik might do
it for hundred pounds.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Basically set 2 was the best he hit the forehand ever.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Just got back online for the first time since the match.

Congratulations to Novak, the better man won in the end.

I think this tournament and the match against Nole was a big step forward for Andy. Hopefully he's finally on his way back. The fitness is the main issue now, he needs to be able to go four or five with a tough opponent if he wants to win any further majors. Thankfully that isn't something he needs to worry about too much until January, the rest of this year is all about proving he's a cut above the likes of Berdych and Ferrer and getting to the O2.

I still think there's potential in the Mauresmo partnership, I think he's improved in quite a few ways since they started working together even if it hasn't quite all come together yet. Let's bare in mind they've been working together for 5 tournaments, and the only ones you can really read into are those after Wimbledon because she didn't have anything like the time to make a difference ahead of the grass tournaments.