2014 Roger's Cup Toronto

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
All that effort for Roger just to go 15-0 against his opponent? Doesn't seem worth the effort does it?

Jokes aside - hard fought win for Roger and these tough battles are the most important, a performance like that will get him past Lopez but if he plays so hot and cold in the final we could well see a Bulgarian or a Frenchman lifting the trophy come Sunday night, in my opinion.

Still, some better performances in the next two matches and the Rogers Cup is there for Roger's taking.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'd be shocked if Feli pulls off another upset tomorrow, but who do you like between Tsonga and Dimitrov?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
sf line up is..

3pm grigor vs Tsonga ....8pm fedster v lopez (local time).

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Roger takes another dominant 10-0 record into the Lopez match tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Tsonga takes a 3-0 record into his match with Dimitrov, but all those wins came in 2011 against a very different Bulgarian.

I consider myself a Federer sympathiser but my love for the underdog is coming to the fore once more. I'm hoping for Jo-Willy to go and claim the crown this week, then Dimitrov, then Lopez, then Mr Roger. I can't complain at any of those four winning the championship though - a fascinating tournament, this has been.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
From 1-10 what's the level of this match?
I say may be 8

What are you talking about. Graded liberally this would be a 5. Both players had numerous
unforced errors and shanks.

Fed had 35 winners and 49 UFE
Ferru had 10 winners and 32 UFE.

They together had 81 UFE. That is almost like a Dominatrix vs. any decent WTA player match.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
While I want Roger to win it to break his big tournament funk, Grigor is my #2 guy. I'd also be happy with either Tsonga or Lopez winning it, so there really isn't a losing scenario for me.

What a story Lopez would be, of course he's probably least likely of the four.

I'd say Roger is a strong favorite over Lopez, Tsonga a slight favorite over Grigor (mainly because JW is playing so well right now).

I'm hoping, though, it will be Roger and Grigor.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
While I want Roger to win it to break his big tournament funk, Grigor is my #2 guy. I'd also be happy with either Tsonga or Lopez winning it, so there really isn't a losing scenario for me.

I'd say Roger is a strong favorite over Lopez, Tsonga a slight favorite over Grigor (mainly because JW is playing so well right now).

I put up the polls, so feel free to take the discussion over there. I agree that Lopez would be the longest shot. I also like all the options as a winner, really. Roger is the last man standing, as it were, and I'm sure he'd be disappointed not to take it. Have to say, I'd love to see Jo-Wil with the W.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Grades for Roger so far:

R32 ---- A- (but an easy exam; got broken once also)

R16 ---- B ( A on his service games and C on return games)

QF --- C+ (Extra penalty for negative W - UFE)

Against Cilic, Roger held his end (i.e, his service games) fine even though he had
hard time breaking. Today, he was terrible in his own service games, not to mention
the 49 UFEs.

Although Roger is winning, he is certainly not looking sharp. But, I can't see anyone
taking him out in Toronto except possibly Tsonga.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

But, there is also the lefty dynamic Lopez brings in. Fed needs to be careful.
Not another, three setter please. Now is the time to raise his game if he wants to
take home the trophy.

I can come up with an excuse of birthday for today's match and the expectation
caused by Novak's fall for yesterday's match; But, there should no excuse tomorrow.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
El Dude said:

I put up the polls, so feel free to take the discussion over there. I agree that Lopez would be the longest shot. I also like all the options as a winner, really. Roger is the last man standing, as it were, and I'm sure he'd be disappointed not to take it. Have to say, I'd love to see Jo-Wil with the W.

If Roger does not win, I don't care who wins; not because, I lose interest, but because
I like all other three dudes equally well.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Not another, three setter please. Now is the time to raise his game if he wants to
take home the trophy.

caused by Novak's fall for yesterday's match; But, there should no excuse tomorrow.

Lefty yes, but Lopez hits pretty flat. Doesn't that make a difference? I heard a stat recently on Roger v. lefties, and the losses are almost all to Nadal. I can't remember the number (must look it up,) but it's not lefties, it's Nadal. You'd be shocked.

EDIT: I looked it up. He's 100 v. 35 against lefties, and 23 of those losses were to Nadal.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

take home the trophy.

Lefty yes, but Lopez hits pretty flat. Doesn't that make a difference? I heard a stat recently on Roger v. lefties, and the losses are almost all to Nadal. I can't remember the number (must look it up,) but it's not lefties, it's Nadal. You'd be shocked.

EDIT: I looked it up. He's 100 v. 35 against lefties, and 23 of those losses were to Nadal. So he's pretty good against lefties, otherwise. (90 - 12)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Looks like Orange is the new Black, Tsonga is the new Berdych and Berdych is the new Tsonga (this is what
happens when you do PUI). Hope you understand what I am saying.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Moxie629 said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

take home the trophy.

EDIT: I looked it up. He's 100 v. 35 against lefties, and 23 of those losses were to Nadal. So he's pretty good against lefties, otherwise. (90 - 12)

I think I heard Roger hasn't lost to any of the remaining players in the field! Lopez is the classic player who can't finish all too often! I've already related the occasion on clay a few years ago where he was up 5-2 in a 3rd set TB against Fed, butchered an overhead at the net and ended up letting him come all the way back to win! Gutless is so common these days; I can't stand it! Love Feliciano's play and appreciated him taking Eastborne over Gasquet in June, but he'll find a way to give it away to the old man! :nono :puzzled :angel:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That clearly is not true as Tsonga has beaten Fed a few times and so I looked it up.
Fed is 10-0 against Deliciano and 1-0 against Black Heart and 11-4 against the Boxer.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Recovery time obviously wasn't an issue for Roger, nor was stamina. Incredible for a 33 year old. I wonder if he'll feel the pinch tonight...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I'd be shocked if Feli pulls off another upset tomorrow, but who do you like between Tsonga and Dimitrov?

I'm rooting for Grigor to win this cup, but he's made heavy weather of nobodies so far. If he faces Federer in the final, he should have a good shot, but the final I want is a rematch of the Queens final, against Lopez.

However, I think it'll be the other two...