2014 Miami Final: Serena vs. Li

Who ya got?

• Total voters

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think that Li Na played well. Of course, when she lost that two break advantage everyone knows that the match is over. But her first hour was perhaps the best she's played all year. But when it comes down to it the truth is that with the sometime exception of Azarenka none of these girls really has the nerve or the ability to actually beat Serena. That's why for the sake of fairness people should go easy on Sharapova for her h2h with Serena. It's not as though any of these other girls are doing any better against her. The only reason why Sharapova's list of losses is even longer is that she's been around longer than any of the others.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
jhar26 said:
I think that Li Na played well. Of course, when she lost that two break advantage everyone knows that the match is over. But her first hour was perhaps the best she's played all year. But when it comes down to it the truth is that with the sometime exception of Azarenka none of these girls really has the nerve or the ability to actually beat Serena. That's why for the sake of fairness people should go easy on Sharapova for her h2h with Serena. It's not as though any of these other girls are doing any better against her. The only reason why Sharapova's list of losses is even longer is that she's been around longer than any of the others.

I just wish the press would stop calling it a rivalry; both sides have to win to "make it so!" Sharapova is just a step above Anna Kornikova; known more from off court ventures than actually winning tourneys! She's had a few moments in time that got her 4 majors, but it wasn't impressive in any way; 1 every few years! The greatness label will have to either wait or be totally dismissed when it comes to this player! :nono :huh: :( :s :puzzled

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Even so, Maria herself has said there isn't a rivalry there, so I am not sure why people would take it out on her. She can't control what media/commentators like Carillo, Mary Jo and others say when the commentate.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
jhar26 said:

I just wish the press would stop calling it a rivalry; both sides have to win to "make it so!" Sharapova is just a step above Anna Kornikova; known more from off court ventures than actually winning tourneys! She's had a few moments in time that got her 4 majors, but it wasn't impressive in any way; 1 every few years! The greatness label will have to either wait or be totally dismissed when it comes to this player! :nono :huh: :( :s :puzzled
She had some moments in time that got her her four majors, she had a moment in time that got her her YEC, she's got moments that allowed her to win other tournaments and make it to #1 on the ranking list. When you put it all together she has had a lot of such moments. More than any other current player not named Williams.

I admit that I sometimes end up scratching my head when I read tennis forums. On the one hand some folks argue that Serena is the GOAT. Than when you ask why they will argue that it's because of her 17 majors and other achievements. When you reply that Court, Evert, Navratilova and Graf did the same thing they will argue, "Yes, but it's much tougher now because the field is much stronger than it was in those days."

But on the other hand I also constantly read posts like this one where often the same posters call Sharapova nothing more than a scrub and argue that those that are younger than her are no good ("generation suck"). The logic of how one can unite those two things escape me. Either Sharapova who has the most impressive cv of any currently active player other than Williams IS a great player, or else she's not a great player which makes everyone else even worse since she's done better than them. It's one or the other. I don't see how it can be both.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
It is a rivalry because they play against each other so much and they play in the same era, granted its a one sided rivalry but it is never the less.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
It's not a rivalry, the Yankees and Red Sox have a rivalry, the Lakers and Celtics is have a rivalry, Chris and Martina had a rivalry. What Serena and Maria have is not a rivalry, rivalries are not one-sided to the degree their battles have been. Serena is 8-0 against Radwanska, but, you'd never categorize their matches as a rivalry.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Definition of rivalry: the act of competing for the same thing.

On a microscopic level, one might say Pova and Serena are rivals. They are competing for the same title at a particular tournament. However, on a macroscopic level, they are not rivals at all. Serena is miles ahead of Pova. She is competing with Evert, Martina, etc for the title of GOAT.

So, in summary, whether they are rivals or not depends on what is at stake. Most people would take a bird's eye view and conclude that they are not rivals.