2014 Miami Final: Serena vs. Li

Who ya got?

• Total voters

tented

Administrator
Reactions
You gotta love Serena being down 2-5 in the opening set, then winning 5 games in a row.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
OK, Im going to close the chat now. You can continue discussing the final in the thread.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Congrats to Serena. Amazing recovery after being down 2-5 in the first, then allowing her opponent ONE more game the entire match.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHwwKtZZ5EQ[/video]

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tented said:
Congrats to Serena. Amazing recovery after being down 2-5 in the first, then allowing her opponent ONE more game the entire match.

Oh please; like no one has ever started slow and came back from a deficit of 2-5? I've done it many times in the past; a lot of the time choreography to win 7-5! Spare me! There was nothing impressive about Serena's play what little I saw of it! It was the worst; with glaring errors on both sides of the net! Ugly! :huh: :nono :s :puzzled Na was going to win this unless Serena gave it to her and that wasn't going to happen at her home tournament in Miami!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ewww! I just looked at Serena's schedule for the year for tournaments, and I don't like her summer plans at all especially with her on and off back problems. Swedish Open -> Stanford -> Toronto and then Cincy, yikes! I wish she would just do Toronto and Cincy. Hope she withdraws from one or both of those tournaments.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sunday, can we just enjoy her winning the Sony Open for a moment.....lol

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Calvy said:
Sunday, can we just enjoy her winning the Sony Open for a moment.....lol

Really? You must have been distraught a few years ago when she was in the weeds, out of shape, and losing to nobodies and never-weres! :lolz: :snigger :cool:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am enjoying it, but I just thought I would look ahead at hardware opportunities, and that hit me hard ;).

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
tented said:

Oh please; like no one has ever started slow and came back from a deficit of 2-5?

Um ... never said it hadn't been done before.

I've done it many times in the past; a lot of the time choreography to win 7-5! Spare me!

Well, this is about Serena Williams and Li Na -- I bet you haven't choreographed a comeback against the likes of them!

There was nothing impressive about Serena's play what little I saw of it! It was the worst; with glaring errors on both sides of the net! Ugly! :huh: :nono :s :puzzled

Why would you make such a sweeping statement ("there was nothing impressive", "it was the worst") about a match you also admit you only saw a little bit of?

Na was going to win this unless Serena gave it to her and that wasn't going to happen at her home tournament in Miami!

Do you mean "Na wasn't going to win this ..."? Because otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeHMd2DuBxE[/video]

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mary Jo Fernandez asked Serena how she managed to turn the match around from 5-2 down in the 1st set

"Really,at the moment,I felt like I had nothing to lose and I was able to relax"

"And whenever I relax,I enjoy myself".

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I liked the fact that Li did not easily fold in this match. When Serena came back in the first set, she really had to play amazing tennis. There was nothing Li could do against some of the rockets Serena was blasting past her. Congrats to Serena and a "good job" to Na Li. I liked that she did not use the on court coaching and continued to play even when she was down a couple of breaks in the second set.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
colleen66 said:
I liked the fact that Li did not easily fold in this match. When Serena came back in the first set, she really had to play amazing tennis. There was nothing Li could do against some of the rockets Serena was blasting past her. Congrats to Serena and a "good job" to Na Li. I liked that she did not use the on court coaching and continued to play even when she was down a couple of breaks in the second set.

After blowing a 2 break lead, at 5 all, I had to turn away! If NA didn't fold, those must have been some very long games because she only won 1 more after that 5-2 lead! Seems like a fold to me! :nono

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCozsdSuxss[/video]

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
From Jaie:

I know what happened!!! In the beginning, Serena was getting beat so much she went down 2-5. Doing the changeover, Serena went into her bag, grabbed a can of spinach, ate the spinach, and the rest was history.

She goes to the finish cause she eats her spinach. She's Serena the comeback queen!!!

But in all serious, what a great way to win lucky #7!!!