2013 US Open Final: Nadal vs. Djokovic

Who ya got?

• Total voters
N

NADAL2005RG

I was watching the semis, and during the Nadal match, the USA Network commentator said that at the 2010 US Open Nadal averaged 8 shots per rally (despite playing big servers Gabashvili, Istomin and Lopez). At the 2013 US Open Nadal is averaging only 6 shots per rally.

Looks like even though Nadal served A LOT faster at 2010 US Open, his baseline game was not as aggressive as at 2013 US Open. This is what I thought before seeing the stats too. And although Kohlschreiber's ranking isn't as high as a couple of Nadal's 2010 opponents, I think Kohlschreiber was playing at a higher level than anyone Nadal faced in 2010 prior to the final.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
clay warrior in straight sets.

or 4 sets.

end of story.

say hello to #13.

why? because he is better than nole.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I was just curious when was the last time that the US Open Final had such a strong influence and importance to the world #1 and year end #1 ranking. Funnily enough it was exactly 10 years ago when Roddick and Ferrero faced each other in the finals and ended up being less than 100 points separated after the tournament. Just to point out how close it is between Nole and Rafa - had Djokovic lost to Wawrinka and had Nadal went on to win the title, he would have become the new #1 this monday.

It's a lot at stake. Djokovic desperate to stop his bleeding, Nadal to add another important non-clay slam to his legacy, the year end #1 on the line and the winner is also basically the man of the year. That said, with so much at stake and already having seen countless epic matches between these two, I have a rather weird feeling this might end up being a highly tense, tight and ugly affair with the winner just jumping over the finish line by accident. Tough to pick the winner, really.

If Nadal goes by his own blueprint vs. the Serb (AO '12, Rome '12, FO '13 5th set and Montreal '13), then I can see him pulling this off in 4-5 competitive sets. If Djokovic remembers who he is and finally starts to believe in himself again in the big points unlike the past 18 months, he will stop the bleeding. If both occurs at the same time, god help us. I am just going by my gut feeling which is Djokovic in 5. I can't explain it rationally. ImJimmy already explained it perfectly.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa in 4.

(PS - I love the head/heart dichotomy in the voting.:snigger)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Djokovic is simply a better player on hardcourts. Like Didi said, he just needs to believe in himself. I think he can do it and I hope he stands up once more against the Spanish tennis bully. Novak in four. Let's hope it's not too windy.

N

NADAL2005RG

Denisovich said:
Djokovic is simply a better player on hardcourts. Like Didi said, he just needs to believe in himself. I think he can do it and I hope he stands up once more against the Spanish tennis bully. Novak in four. Let's hope it's not too windy.

Djokovic isn't better on hardcourts than Nadal in 2013.
And Djokovic wasn't better on hardcourts than Nadal in 2009 and 2010 either.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Let me refresh your memory.

Career hard court titles Nadal: 14
Career hard court titles Djokovic: 28

GS hard court titles Nadal: 2
GS hard court titles Djokovic: 5

MS hard court titles Nadal: 7
MS hard court titles Djokovic: 10

Djokovic is simply a better player on hard courts. And that is a fact. Nadal is also older so he had more time to collect (the lesser amount of) hard court titles.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In 2013, Ralf has been the more dominant player on cement... based on tournament results and aggressive play.

Both guys have consistently been the better player in a particular slam.
Take away Ralf's French Open tiles and he still has 4 slams
Take away Nole's Oz titles and he has 2 slams
Completely irrelevant to any discussion. Simply a random thought.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
In 2013, Ralf has been the more dominant player on cement... based on tournament results and aggressive play.

Both guys have consistently been the better player in a particular slam.
Take away Ralf's French Open tiles and he still has 4 slams
Take away Nole's Oz titles and he has 2 slams
Completely irrelevant to any discussion. Simply a random thought.

That will depend on tonight's results. If Djokovic wins tonight he will have won two GS hardcourt events in 2013, Nadal zero. Makes him the better hardcourt player of 2013 to me. Agreed if Nadal wins tonight.

N

NADAL2005RG

2009, Nadal won the Australian Open and Indian Wells.

2010, Nadal won the US Open and made the final of the World Tour Finals.

Nadal clearly was a better hardcourt player than Djokovic in 2009 and 2010.

If not then....results don't matter?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:

Results matter. They matter a lot. Please read my summary of results of both players on hard courts above. As you can see Djokovic is a better hard court player based on results.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:

Djokovic had won more hard court slams, more hard court masters, and leads the h2h in hard court meetings. Yes, results matter greatly. There is no point in separating years.

N

NADAL2005RG

Yes separating years would be very inconvenient for you. But the fact is, Djokovic in one year, is not the same as Djokovic in another year. They are different qualities of players. And Nadal in one year is not the same as Nadal in another year. After Nadal wins the 2013 US Open final (extending his hardcourt winning streak to 22), nobody will say Djokovic is the better hardcourt player in 2013. This isn't 2011. Djokovic's hardcourt prime is over. Nadal's hardcourt prime, has just begun.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fun facts for Djokovic fans and those interested: this is Nole's 7th hard court GS final in a row. He won 4 of them (losing to Nadal and Murray here, and beating Nadal and Murray both twice). And 4th US Open final in a row (5 total).

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Yes separating years would be very inconvenient for you. But the fact is, Djokovic in one year, is not the same as Djokovic in another year. They are different qualities of players. And Nadal in one year is not the same as Nadal in another year. After Nadal wins the 2013 US Open final (extending his hardcourt winning streak to 22), nobody will say Djokovic is the better hardcourt player in 2013. This isn't 2011. Djokovic's hardcourt prime is over. Nadal's hardcourt prime, has just begun.

Why would it be inconvenient for me?;

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I. Haychew said:
Anybody but Folks. Plus...I like Djokovic, even if he DID beat my main man Dr. Youzhny. GO DJOKOVIC!!!

Very unique use of the word "Folks." Please explain. And actually, some believe you're supposed to root for the guy that beat your guy. :angel:

Regarding the nickname "Folks". A few years ago on the old board it was said, by a certain member, that Federer benefited greatly in 2009 because folks were injured. I took "folks" to really mean "Nadal". So, for a while, my nickname for Nadal was "Folks". I let it die after a while and eventually kinda just forgot about it. Decided to break it out and use it again.

And I never root for the guy who beat my guy just because he beat my guy, in tennis or any other sport. I usually become bitter, hold a grudge, and hope that they get slaughtered in the next round/game/series.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Moxie629 said:
I. Haychew said:
Anybody but Folks. Plus...I like Djokovic, even if he DID beat my main man Dr. Youzhny. GO DJOKOVIC!!!

Very unique use of the word "Folks." Please explain. And actually, some believe you're supposed to root for the guy that beat your guy. :angel:

Regarding the nickname "Folks". A few years ago on the old board it was said, by a certain member, that Federer benefited greatly in 2009 because folks were injured. I took "folks" to really mean "Nadal". So, for a while, my nickname for Nadal was "Folks". I let it die after a while and eventually kinda just forgot about it. Decided to break it out and use it again.

And I never root for the guy who beat my guy just because he beat my guy, in tennis or any other sport.

I hadn't thought of "Folks" in a long time. The posts which started it were funny. :laydownlaughing Are you purposely leaving out the name of the "certain member" for some reason? Or have you forgotten? I'll give you a hint if you want.