Who ya got?

• Total voters

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
DarthFed said:
nehmeth said:
Darth, you could watch the Eagles instead.

With football season on I won't be watching tennis anyways. Good riddance to 2013 tennis.

I see you are scared 1/2 to death general darth.

why the hell are you so miserable?

either you love the sport or you don't.

:D:D

Tennis has been miserable in 2013 with Fed becoming a scrub. I'm not miserable, Football starts tomorrow.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
atttomole said:
DarthFed said:
nehmeth said:
britbox said:
Nadal's playing the better tennis, but I picked Djokovic to win at the beginning so not going to change my mind now he's made the final.
Novak in 4 or 5, but he's going to have to move up a gear to halt the spanish steamroller.

Novak in 4.

He finally gets tired of playing the big points and the big matches like a 'wuss' all year and comes out firing. Rafa plays significantly better than he did today, but comes up short.

..... then I wake up from my sleep to find it's Vika over Serena. :cover

I hear you man, I don't see him suddenly digging deep and coming up big. I prob won't watch: if Nole wins great. If Rafa wins I will be glad to miss it. Not sure I can deal with another dark era in tennis.
What do you mean by 'dark era in tennis'?

Any period of time where Mr. Topspin is on top is a dark era.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
atttomole said:
DarthFed said:
nehmeth said:
britbox said:
Nadal's playing the better tennis, but I picked Djokovic to win at the beginning so not going to change my mind now he's made the final.
Novak in 4 or 5, but he's going to have to move up a gear to halt the spanish steamroller.

Novak in 4.

He finally gets tired of playing the big points and the big matches like a 'wuss' all year and comes out firing. Rafa plays significantly better than he did today, but comes up short.

..... then I wake up from my sleep to find it's Vika over Serena. :cover

I hear you man, I don't see him suddenly digging deep and coming up big. I prob won't watch: if Nole wins great. If Rafa wins I will be glad to miss it. Not sure I can deal with another dark era in tennis.
What do you mean by 'dark era in tennis'?

Any period of time where Mr. Topspin is on top is a dark era.
I got you.:D:D

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Clay Death said:
DarthFed said:
nehmeth said:

With football season on I won't be watching tennis anyways. Good riddance to 2013 tennis.

Tennis has been miserable in 2013 with Fed becoming a scrub. I'm not miserable, Football starts tomorrow.

fed is old now.

did you expect him to win forever?

and you are miserable.

just hang on. we will cure you of all that ails you.

you will just have to embrace the clay warrior.

don't let nadal ruin your life. just join his forces.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
DarthFed said:
Clay Death said:
DarthFed said:
nehmeth said:

fed is old now.

did you expect him to win forever?

and you are miserable.

just hang on. we will cure you of all that ails you.

you will just have to embrace the clay warrior.

don't let nadal ruin your life. just join his forces.

You'll turn old and grey waiting for that old sport:)

Roger is old but he is playing like a 50 year old. No excuse for him to be this bad.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he has 17 majors. some of his records will never be broken.

enjoy all that he has contributed to the game.

and he is not playing like a 50 year old.

the guy is lazy. he wants to play high risk tennis and go for everything.

you cant win that way anymore. the game is different from even a year ago.

you have to craft points. you have to willing to grind a little bit.

he does not want to do that.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
he has 17 majors. some of his records will never be broken.

enjoy all that he has contributed to the game.

and he is not playing like a 50 year old.

the guy is lazy. he wants to play high risk tennis and go for everything.

you cant win that way anymore. the game is different from even a year ago.

you have to craft points. you have to willing to grind a little bit.

he does not want to do that.

He needs to be aggressive, he isn't winning anything by grinding from the baseline. His movement and defense are no longer elite. The problem is incredibly inconsistent play and losing every big point and one of the worst returns on tour.

17 will prove easy to beat. He isn't going to reach 20, the question is if he will become relevant again. My bet is that he will, but he wasted a year with atrocious play and it won't get easier next year.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously, Novak had the tougher semi today, which we always knew. However, it's possible that both were peering a bit ahead to Monday, which could explain why neither played with conviction today.

I do think that Rafa looks like the man to beat, and Nole has not been convincing in the big moments for most of the year. But it's Show Time, folks, and who knows what could happen? It's Djokovic's surface, he's beaten Rafa here, (there and everywhere, sometimes, too.) They've both got a lot on the line...could be epic. I hope so.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I don't believe in faiths, meant-to-be's or however one might phrase it, but it does feel like stars are aligning for Rafa here...Not a particularly taxing draw, shorter matches...Obviously he is playing amazing tennis on top of that. He made what, all but one final since he came back from injury? That is just nuts.:speechless:

I predicted Nole at the beginning and I will stick to it but he has to win it in 4 sets tops. It goes to 5, Rafa wins the last set 6-1.
I will go with Nole in 4.

Murat, what makes you think if the match goes to a fifth set that Nadal will just win the set 6-1? I am no Djokovic fan but I really doubt that if it goes to a fifth set the score will be 6-1.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Before today's matches, I would have called Nadal in 4 or 5, but I am not so sure anymore.

To me it seems that both players are NOT playing that well. Nadal is definitely not playing the best hard court tennis of his carrer. He is not as sharp as he was in UsOpen 2010. His serve is not comparable and his ROS is also not as good. Today's match was a little disappointing from Nadal's perspective. His forehand didn't have the same penetration. He was overspinning his backhand and standing back for ROS making the server look good. This typically happens when Nadal is not very confident. In short: Rafa definitely looked better in the earlier rounds of the UsOpen. Especially against Robredo. So did Nadal peak too early at the Open?

If you thought Nadal was sub-par, things are not looking so great for Djokovic either. Wawrinka dismantled him for 1.5 sets today and was clearly the better player for the majority of the match. Djokovic has had difficulty being aggressive and changing direction with his DTL backhand. His serve too was also not as good as it usually is. In the end he won the match, because he was stronger physically and played better in the bigger moments. Biggest reason: Wawrinka didn't have the self-belief to seal the deal. In short Djokovic is not the same guy who blew the competition away in 2011.

So what's going to happen? The Montreal Nadal-Djokovic match was a very good indicator. Nadal was very aggressive (Especially with the off-forehand) and he continually changed direction and never backed off on his backhand side. He was pushing Djokovic from side to side and coming to the net at every opportunity. Then he raised his level in the Tie-break and hit HARD to Djokovic's forehand. Even then the match was close. I haven't seen Rafa play with the same authority in the UsOpen, which makes me wonder whether there is any truth in the speculation that Rafa's B team is better than the A team (Toni).

It'll come down to the day to day form. Nadal needs to play at atleast as well as he did in Montreal to have a good shot. Since Djokovic has the matchup advantage and has usually been better than Nadal at this surface, it's hard to argue against him. He tends to perform better against Rafa at non-clay slams while looking sub-par earlier (think UsOpen 2011, Wimb 2011 and AO 2012). For Nadal, it's now or never. He has all the momentum and has to make it count. No excuse in being defensive and losing.

All said and done, based on today's performances, I have to say Djokovic in 5. (But of course I'd be happy to be wrong).
Whoever wins this is the best player of the year IMO, irrespective of the rankings.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
rafanoy1992 said:
1972Murat said:
I don't believe in faiths, meant-to-be's or however one might phrase it, but it does feel like stars are aligning for Rafa here...Not a particularly taxing draw, shorter matches...Obviously he is playing amazing tennis on top of that. He made what, all but one final since he came back from injury? That is just nuts.:speechless:

I predicted Nole at the beginning and I will stick to it but he has to win it in 4 sets tops. It goes to 5, Rafa wins the last set 6-1.
I will go with Nole in 4.

Murat, what makes you think if the match goes to a fifth set that Nadal will just win the set 6-1? I am no Djokovic fan but I really doubt that if it goes to a fifth set the score will be 6-1.

Of course these are just guesses, but mine is based on a couple of observations. One, today's match; Nole spent a lot of energy and this is the tail end of the tournament, so there is a cumulative effect. Two, he seems a lot more nervous than I have seen him in a long time, so if this goes 5 sets, I think Rafa will be more confident and tougher to beat than Nole. Also, he will be the fresher of the two as well. I picked Nole to win the whole thing, but I am seriously unimpressed by his performance so far...

Hey, I might be totally off base, but from what I see this last 2 weeks, plus the way Rafa has been playing all summer hard court season, I have a feeling Nole should wrap this up before it hits the 5th. set.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
imjimmy said:
Before today's matches, I would have called Nadal in 4 or 5, but I am not so sure anymore.

To me it seems that both players are NOT playing that well. Nadal is definitely not playing the best hard court tennis of his carrer. He is not as sharp as he was in UsOpen 2010. His serve is not comparable and his ROS is also not as good. Today's match was a little disappointing from Nadal's perspective. His forehand didn't have the same penetration. He was overspinning his backhand and standing back for ROS making the server look good. This typically happens when Nadal is not very confident. In short: Rafa definitely looked better in the earlier rounds of the UsOpen. Especially against Robredo. So did Nadal peak too early at the Open?

If you thought Nadal was sub-par, things are not looking so great for Djokovic either. Wawrinka dismantled him for 1.5 sets today and was clearly the better player for the majority of the match. Djokovic has had difficulty being aggressive and changing direction with his DTL backhand. His serve too was also not as good as it usually is. In the end he won the match, because he was stronger physically and played better in the bigger moments. Biggest reason: Wawrinka didn't have the self-belief to seal the deal. In short Djokovic is not the same guy who blew the competition away in 2011.

So what's going to happen? The Montreal Nadal-Djokovic match was a very good indicator. Nadal was very aggressive (Especially with the off-forehand) and he continually changed direction and never backed off on his backhand side. He was pushing Djokovic from side to side and coming to the net at every opportunity. Then he raised his level in the Tie-break and hit HARD to Djokovic's forehand. Even then the match was close. I haven't seen Rafa play with the same authority in the UsOpen, which makes me wonder whether there is any truth in the speculation that Rafa's B team is better than the A team (Toni).

It'll come down to the day to day form. Nadal needs to play at atleast as well as he did in Montreal to have a good shot. Since Djokovic has the matchup advantage and has usually been better than Nadal at this surface, it's hard to argue against him. He tends to perform better against Rafa at non-clay slams while looking sub-par earlier (think UsOpen 2011, Wimb 2011 and AO 2012). For Nadal, it's now or never. He has all the momentum. The iron is hot, and he has to strike. No excuse in being defensive and losing.

All said and done, based on today's performances I have to say Djokovic in 5. But of course I'd be happy to be wrong.
Whoever wins this is the best player of the year IMO, irrespective of the rankings.

Good points imjimmy especially about Rafa's B team instead of A team with Toni. If you look at it, the B team is undefeated on the hardcourts and Rafa seems to had been playing looser.

I don't agree with what your analysis of Rafa's play so far in the USO but I do feel that you are saying what you honestly believe.

Here are my reasons:

Rafa's hardcourt success this year has been an astonishing accomplishment this year. To totally dominate the North American hardcourts master series is against all the top players in the ATP tour cannot be underestimated. ( I know he hasn't beaten Murray but truthfully Andy hasn't been his best during both swings of the North American tour).

Indian Wells

R64 Ryan Harrison (USA) 73 W 7-6(3), 6-2
R32 Leonardo Mayer (ARG) 64 W W/O
R16 Ernests Gulbis (LAT) 67 W 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
Q Roger Federer (SUI) 2 W 6-4, 6-2
S Tomas Berdych (CZE) 6 W 6-4, 7-5
W Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) 7 W 4-6, 6-3, 6-4

Montreal
R32 Jesse Levine (CAN) 132 W 6-2, 6-0 Stats
R16 Jerzy Janowicz (POL) 18 W 7-6(6), 6-4 Stats
Q Marinko Matosevic (AUS) 74 W 6-2, 6-4 Stats
S Novak Djokovic (SRB) 1 W 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(2) Stats
W Milos Raonic (CAN) 13 W 6-2, 6-2

Cincinnati

R32 Benjamin Becker (GER) 100 W 6-2, 6-2
R16 Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 29 W 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
Q Roger Federer (SUI) 5 W 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
S Tomas Berdych (CZE) 6 W 7-5, 7-6(4)
W John Isner (USA) 22 W 7-6(8), 7-6(3)

Keep in mind that Rafa was scheduled to meet Isner and Federer at the USO which I still feel that his results would have been similar.

In the past especially after getting dismantle by JMDP at USO 09, it was said that Rafa couldn't handle the big hitters which at that time appeared to be true. Rafa has made a ton of adjustments to his game to counter this.

In the past against excellent hardcourt players such as Federer and Djoker, it was said that Rafa chances was less than certain but Rafa has counter this.

Djoker made some adjustments in his game since their meeting at the USO 2010 which Rafa won in 4 sets. The primary was when a short ball was hit to Djoker's backhand, Nole crushes the ball to Rafa's forehand by pull him off the court and controlling the center of the court.
Rafa has made some adjustments by being more aggressive to Djoker's forehand which is more prone to breakdown and produce more UFEs. ( please reference Montreal 2013).
Rafa has been more aggressive at the net and his slice backhand down the line is landing deeper so far this year. Unlike the past, Rafa is playing the big points in his service games better mostly by going for more placements with his serve and shorten the points. He is playing more aggressively from the beginning of his matches with Djoker and shorten the rallies.

I have stated before, if all things remain true, it will always be Rafa vs Djoker. When they are both healthy, they are the best two players on the planet on every surface regardless of what happen this year at SW19. These two are Twins in talent, movement and defense. It too hard to make a prediction because it should come down to just a few points, who plays the big points better. So far this year it has been Rafa and I cant see why there is a need to change.

This is the best Rafa has ever been on the hardcourts.

The biggest intangible is confidence, Rafa is the more confident player, imo.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Anybody but Folks. Plus...I like Djokovic, even if he DID beat my main man Dr. Youzhny. GO DJOKOVIC!!!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hopefully Djokovic he needs it to get his 2014 off to a good start. I am leaning toward Nadal because he has been the more aggressive of the two this tournament going for his shots. Djoker seems to be pushing the ball back and praying for an error. That might work against most players but not Nadal. I would like Djokovic to win, but he has to make a few adjustments like hit his ROS with conviction everytime and get that BH DTL cranking.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Anybody but Folks. Plus...I like Djokovic, even if he DID beat my main man Dr. Youzhny. GO DJOKOVIC!!!

Very unique use of the word "Folks." Please explain. And actually, some believe you're supposed to root for the guy that beat your guy. :angel: