• Total voters

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:
Looks likely to end same score as set 1 imo.

That would mean Ferrer would have to choke another service game. He has to be made of sterner stuff than that, or he wouldn't have won yesterday.

He's choking on gunk now. It's spewing everywhere.

Can't understand how he beat Ralf yesterday.. it just escapes me.

I thought you knew, Ralf is not so good on HC:cool:

very well done by Nole and In am also happy for David, worthy finalist

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
That's 3 straight final losses for Daveed in as many weeks. Rough fall season.

Still three finals, thats not bad!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Denis,
1-2 would not be that bad. 0-3 and one of them your home tournament is not that good.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:

Exactly. All in, he probably won as many points as last year, when he won Paris...

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
huntingyou said:
Ferrer did great but that second set game serving for it was pathetic. Anyways, Novak the hunter it's on a prowl again...at least the match was very physical. Now I need Roger and Delpo to step up and wound the tiger just a bit more.

Novak will be as fresh as a daisy, no need to lose sleep over that. He knows there is a long break coming up after Davis Cup. He can give a little extra.

The guy is human and it's all relative........tough matches can take it's toll. If Delpo and Roger can extend him and push like Ferrer did today then it COULD be a factor. That's all. The guy is on a 17 match winning streak.....mentally it's hard to sustain such excellence

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Denis,
1-2 would not be that bad. 0-3 and one of them your home tournament is not that good.

True, but a final at Bercy is really good. I never expected he would make it this far.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Ferrer's incredible ROS and impecable movement gives him a chance anywhere....including grass

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:

Exactly. All in, he probably won as many points as last year, when he won Paris...

Nope. Last year between Valencia and Paris, he earned 1500 points, winning both, this year as a runner up in Stockholm, Valencia and Paris he earned 1050 points.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Kieran said:
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:

Nope. Last year between Valencia and Paris, he earned 1500 points, winning both, this year as a runner up in Stockholm, Valencia and Paris he earned 1050 points.

Okay, thanks Herios. Still not a bad haul, but not as much as last year...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:
Denis,

True, but a final at Bercy is really good. I never expected he would make it this far.

My friend, I will have a chat with you shortly bringing up another thread, to remind you about a debate the 2 of us had about David and his ranking, stay tuned;)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:
Denis,

My friend, I will have a chat with you shortly bringing up another thread, to remind you about a debate the 2 of us had about David and his ranking, stay tuned;)

Hehe, I know I already preempted that in the rankings thread. ;)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
herios said:
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:
Denis,

Hehe, I know I already preempted that in the rankings thread. ;)

;)
you see, why I was so stubbornly holding my ground in that debate? I did a little more calculus to see where he can earn how much and I came to the conclusion he can still get ahead of Andy even if he loses points in Paris...
David did better in Paris than I thought (I was expecting a SF), worst in Valencia (I was expecting a W), all in all he just did enough. He had a great fin ish overall, and I am also expecting him to be competitive in London, the last few years he won a few matches each time. Despite his age, he recovers faster than these younger ones, fitness rules.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:

Reaching the final here was most unexpected for me at least. He defended a good chunk of those points and kudos to him for that. But he folded like a cheap tent serving for the 2nd set. Can't comment on set 1 as I only started watching at 5-5.

Edit: But I believe he was up 5-3 there too so all in all he still has much to be disappointed about.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
huntingyou said:
Ferrer did great but that second set game serving for it was pathetic. Anyways, Novak the hunter it's on a prowl again...at least the match was very physical. Now I need Roger and Delpo to step up and wound the tiger just a bit more.

Novak will be as fresh as a daisy, no need to lose sleep over that. He knows there is a long break coming up after Davis Cup. He can give a little extra.

You are talking about next season. i actually wonder how will he play Fed in two days considering that he played on reserve against Ferrer.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be fair Novak has only played two more matches than Nadal this fall, so they shouldn't be to different, and for Delpo and Fed, it will be their third tournament in as many weeks, so I don't think Novak is gonna be in much worse shape than anyone else, except perhaps stan, richie and birdie ;)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:

Reaching the final here was most unexpected for me at least. He defended a good chunk of those points and kudos to him for that. But he folded like a cheap tent serving for the 2nd set. Can't comment on set 1 as I only started watching at 5-5.

Edit: But I believe he was up 5-3 there too so all in all he still has much to be disappointed about.

I agree with you, Front, that on some levels, Ferrer did very well, and better than many expected. He came neigh on defending last year's title, when that one was sort of treated like a consolation prize and a pat on the head. This year, with the whole field in play, he made the final again, and was bossing Djokovic much of the match. At the end of the first set, which you say you missed, I'd say that Novak did what he can do, which is raise his game when he's pressed. Ferrer didn't so much blow it as Nole took it away from him. At the end of the 2nd, I'd say that Ferrer did blow it. Djokovic was very fine, but Ferrer might have pressed him to a 3rd if he hadn't collapsed.

In all, yes, Ferrer should be disappointed in himself. There's an argument that he nearly had Nole in two, but at the very least, he should have made it 3 sets.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ferrer had bp's in the 3rd game of the second set, for a double-break, and an unlucky net-cord left him exposed. You earn your luck, but in that case I think Ferrer was due some. Who knows, with a double break he still might not have won a set. I like how Nole sometimes squeezes more out of himself in them tight spots, and I don't trust Ferrer under a flame. But he was game, as ever, and he made it a very watchable match...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
Denisovich said:
kskate2 said:

I agree with you, Front, that on some levels, Ferrer did very well, and better than many expected. He came neigh on defending last year's title, when that one was sort of treated like a consolation prize and a pat on the head. This year, with the whole field in play, he made the final again, and was bossing Djokovic much of the match. At the end of the first set, which you say you missed, I'd say that Novak did what he can do, which is raise his game when he's pressed. Ferrer didn't so much blow it as Nole took it away from him. At the end of the 2nd, I'd say that Ferrer did blow it. Djokovic was very fine, but Ferrer might have pressed him to a 3rd if he hadn't collapsed.

In all, yes, Ferrer should be disappointed in himself. There's an argument that he nearly had Nole in two, but at the very least, he should have made it 3 sets.

Sounds like the 2nd set was a collapse (I didn't see it) but I agree with you on the first set. David did well to hold Nole back most of that set as the latter came close to breaking in many of those games. But Nole really stepped it up at 5-4 down.

I disagree with the thinking "almost had him in 2" because we don't know how the match goes if Ferrer wins the 1st set. Nole could have come out all guns blazing at the start of the 2nd set due to desperation instead of the meek start to the 2nd he did have. All in all it was a good week for Ferrer as he surprisingly got back to the final and has a solid chance to get to the semis in London (imagine how much he'd have hated Group B!!).

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
All in all it was a good week for Ferrer as he surprisingly got back to the final and has a solid chance to get to the semis in London (imagine how much he'd have hated Group B!!).

:s Everyone in Group B now hates it too...