Is Nick Kyrios Coachable?

Is Nicky Coachable?

• Total voters

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Is Nick Kyrios Coachable

kskate2 said:
I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't a good match. It was of the highest quality. But Dude is right. Ultimately it's up to Nick to focus and play through whatever adversary he may face (even an unruly crowd). I have no doubt, this will burn a fire in him. Maybe he needed this loss to learn how to deal with these kind of tight matches.

Which is why he needs a coach - someone he respects enough to listen to and talk him down from the ledge. He may win a few big tournaments without a coach - but he clearly needs some professional guidance from someone more stable than he is. Every great player has had a steadying influence in his life. Be that a coach or a parent - Kyrgios clearly needs someone to box his ears occasionally.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
RE: Miami Masters HC

Busted said:
kskate2 said:
I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't a good match. It was of the highest quality. But Dude is right. Ultimately it's up to Nick to focus and play through whatever adversary he may face (even an unruly crowd). I have no doubt, this will burn a fire in him. Maybe he needed this loss to learn how to deal with these kind of tight matches.

Which is why he needs a coach - someone he respects enough to listen to and talk him down from the ledge. He may win a few big tournaments without a coach - but he clearly needs some professional guidance from someone more stable than he is. Every great player has had a steadying influence in his life. Be that a coach or a parent - Kyrgios clearly needs someone to box his ears occasionally.

I don't know where he got the idead he didn't need a coach. That's the most ludicrous thing ever. Lemme see. I'm not #1, I've never won a slam or a masters title. I aspire to do these things, but I think I can get it done on my own because that's really worked out well for me so far! What? Anyway. Nicky, get a coach. You have the money. Stop being a rebellious adolescent and get help from a tennis professional. :please:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I'd love to see Pete Sampras take on Kyrgios as his coach. I know it won't happen, but I think Pete could guide him well.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

El Dude said:
I'd love to see Pete Sampras take on Kyrgios as his coach. I know it won't happen, but I think Pete could guide him well.

I Pete took him on, Nicky would never lose serve. :emperor:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

El Dude said:

I don't know if a coach can reach him and I don't think it's necessary..he just have to mature

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

kskate2 said:
El Dude said:

Nick mixes his serves well.. Pete may have him come in behind the serve more but otherwise Nick is fundamentally sound..

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
El Dude said:

I don't know if a coach can reach him and I don't think it's necessary..he just have to mature
If Safin, Monfils, JMac and Nastase can have coaches, surely Nicky can find one on his level that can reach him.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:
El Dude said:

Nick mixes his serves well.. Pete may have him come in behind the serve more but otherwise Nick is fundamentally sound..

I know. He rarely loses serve now, but it does happen from time to time. Pete would reduce those times to nil.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

kskate2 said:
the AntiPusher said:
El Dude said:

If Safin, Monfils, JMac and Nastase can have coaches, surely Nicky can find one on his level that can reach him.
During the match vs Sasha, Cahill says that he doesn't think needs a coach tinkering with his game.,Nick's game has been well without a coach

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Coaching isn't only about tinkering with one's game, but teaching a stronger mentality. Kyrgios is getting better, but I think he could use some guidance. Or maybe a shrink?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Dog says that his game is so different that he is pretty much uncoachable, as most coaches try to make him a normal tennis player. I totally agree with him.

But, Nick does not have a weird game and so he is definitely coachable.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

El Dude said:
Coaching isn't only about tinkering with one's game, but teaching a stronger mentality. Kyrgios is getting better, but I think he could use some guidance. Or maybe a shrink?

Nick has got to mature like McEnroe did.,first he needs to humble himself, respect the game then he will learn to be a champion..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's true , a coach can help you on your mental approach to the game but it's really up to the player to figure it out during adversity..Nick's game is fundamentally sound..he is a smart guy..he knows how to vary the pace when needed and he really tracks the plight of the ball well for his ground strokes. Maybe a sports psychologist can help him understand that when the moment gets to great, he can still produce some spectacular tennis if he can maintain his nerves. I know his tricks shots seems foolish but he is so gifted and his athleticism is at an extraordinary high level, Nick selection of shot is almost masterful. I said it before, he is playing at a different speed than the majority of players..Nick has got to want it, loosing has got to hurt and winning be meaningful. Nick needs to humble himself , respect the game then he will learn to be a champion. Will it take a coach to drill that into his young head, I don't think so but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW, I heard commentators in ESPN talking recently that ATP is planning on allowing Coaches talk to the players in the middle of the match, like it happens in WTA. They are apparently doing some trial run of it in some smaller tourneys.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
It has to be Pete who can be the best coach. He was a serve-expert himself. He would know something about making a service-centered game work.

I was thinking the alternatives could be:

Mark Philippoussis
Richard Krajicek
Greg Rusedski

P.S.: Pete Sampras will help Kyrgios with the net game.

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
He has already shown maturity. He was not outplayed yesterday. He needs to stay calm so that he makes better decisions on some points. That DF, going for a 128mph second serve, at 5-4 in tb3. Just that one decision may have cost him the match.

Whoever it is must be able help him with his patience. The crowd was tough almost unfair. Still he botched a shot because of a crowd call. Can't let that happen.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
shivashish said:
It has to be Pete who can be the best coach. He was a serve-expert himself. He would know something about making a service-centered game work.

I was thinking the alternatives could be:

Mark Philippoussis
Richard Krajicek
Greg Rusedski

P.S.: Pete Sampras will help Kyrgios with the net game.

Pete would be the one I've often said, and recently Pete said in an interview he'd answer the phone if Nick rang him.

I think the signs in Miami are encouraging for Nick, but he shouldn't become despondent. And yeah, the tweeners and silly exo shots are a great declaration of talent, but great players don't feck around on court like this. It's too distracting and unnecessary. But I'm beginning to think he can keep getting better - Zverev too....

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
BTW, I heard commentators in ESPN talking recently that ATP is planning on allowing Coaches talk to the players in the middle of the match, like it happens in WTA. They are apparently doing some trial run of it in some smaller tourneys.

Isn't that a really horrible idea? I hope this doesn't happen. It's okay for the women, they love a good natter, and they'd sit and gossip all day long, but the men's game is something far more interesting and challenging than that. Having a coach come on and give pep talks? I bet the great players would find that unhelpful and distracting...

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't care if Kyrgios is coachable or not - BUT...if he wants to win Slams and Masters and raise his ranking to make life easier in the early rounds? Then he NEEDS a coach. And some sessions with a sports psychiatrist wouldn't hurt either. He is his own worst enemy and although he's made some strides in getting out of his own way over the off-season - he needs someone more than his "mates" and his mother to help guide him to the top. The problem is finding someone he respects and trusts who wants to work with him. Maybe he should give Johnny Mac a call because if there's ever been a more volatile personality in tennis who made it to #1 and sustained great play over a long period of time without making too many changes in his on-court behavior and remained true to himself - it's Johnny Mac.