Djokovic parts ways with Vajda and entire fitness team

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Djokovic fires entire team - like Diogenes, looking for a new spark

Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Front242 said:
Besides Donskoy no one has beaten Federer all year. Kyrgios got within 2 points of victory in Miami and they played 3 tiebreaks. Djokovic is in 23rd place in the race to London. Kyrgios is number 15 and has had a better year so far. With his current form and much more devastating serve on grass, he's clearly one of the top prospects at Wimbledon.

Ah okay. One match. That's not considered "current form", bro...

By the way, you forgot Berdych...

Yeah, Berdych came close to beating Federer too in Miami but he's number 20 in the race so is also below Kyrgios like Djokovic. Again, on current form Djokovic is 8 places below Kyrgios and Berdych is 5 below and I'd rate Kyrgios' chances at Wimbledon much higher than Berdych's personally.
Berdych at current form isn't any threat to current form Federer, imo. Goran his current coach hasn't been able to transfer his fight to the death attitude into Tomas. I would suggest having Berdych shave his head and grow a dark colored beard to look menacing towards his opponents.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Shocking but Interesting ..Roger has to be jumping for Joy, imo..he has no one who can stop him at Wimbledon :devil

I think it's fair to say that Roger and Rafa are both thrilled with the state of Nole's game. Rafa is a major favorite at RG and Roger figures to be the strong favorite at Wimbledon and a lot of that is owed to Nole going from dominant #1 to a guy who looks like he barely belongs in the top 20.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Shocking but Interesting ..Roger has to be jumping for Joy, imo..he has no one who can stop him at Wimbledon :devil

I think it's fair to say that Roger and Rafa are both thrilled with the state of Nole's game. Rafa is a major favorite at RG and Roger figures to be the strong favorite at Wimbledon and a lot of that is owed to Nole going from dominant #1 to a guy who looks like he barely belongs in the top 20.

I know I said it before, but Nole reminds me of Borg, just before he left the sport. Listless, lacking the ferocious concentration and battle that got him to the top, and seeming to lack the will to work hard enough to get it back (if Becker is to be believed). He wants it back, but is he willing to work hard enough? Sacking his team is probably the best cold shower wake-up call he can get right now, although there still persists the sneaky feeling that maybe the team had a massive bust up and that's the reason they're gone...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I can't finish to understand why some Roger's fans are thinking that Kyrgios is now a threat to anyone :huh:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Carol35 said:
I can't finish to understand why some Roger's fans are thinking that Kyrgios is now a threat to anyone :huh:

Look at the race to London and you'll see why. He's currently 8 places ahead of Djokovic and has a much better serve. On grass a great serve is a massive weapon as you'd know since Kyrgios served 36 aces when he beat Nadal there. He'll be a threat to anyone on grass if he's serving and playing well. As regards everyone else, Murray has had a very poor year so far so that's why Kyrgios is seen as a threat although his record against Murray is poor. Can't imagine Nadal, Federer, Djokovic or any other top player would fancy meeting Kyrgios at Wimbledon. Murray probably wouldn't either in his current form but would probably win given Kyrgios has been poor against him in the past.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Carol35 said:

Nick has the weapons that makes the game very uncomfortable for Roger. His game is unpredictable and deadly which makes it extremely difficult for Roger to scheme for. Two years ago, it would've still been Nadal but now Roger & his team has the proper counters. Yes, an in form and healthy Djoker, Murray and Stan are still a threat. I hope that explains it.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Uncomfortable for everyone. Not just Roger. He's beaten Djokovic last two times they played and I'd give Nadal very poor odds of beating Kyrgios on grass.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

It will be interesting to watch what happens with Novak. On one hand, it is hard to imagine that he can't at least come back to an elite form, on the other if Kieran is right and the will isn't there, then it will be very difficult for him.

At some point I'd like to do a study of great players and how they decline. It seems that there are a few types of decline: Some take a very gradual erosion and just fade away into retirement, almost in a smooth transition - like Agassi, Connors, Edberg. Some collapse from great heights one year and into mediocrity the next, like Wilander. Most are somewhere in-between, all with a unique trajectory and story.

One commonality is that every player has a point where their career starts turning the other way. Some players just fall into decline from that point, while others are able to find a new plateau level and hang out there for awhile. But very few (if any) are able to return to their peak form, especially after 30.

That said, if we cut out the extreme outliers (e.g. Wilander on one side, Rosewall on the other), we can find two likely outcomes:

1. The Sampras/Lendl/possibly Nadal path: Quick decline from high peak, then a kind of "dead-cat bounce" at the end. Done by 31-34ish.

2. The Connors/Agassi/Federer path: More gradual decline, then plateau at a lower level for half a decade or so. Plays past 35.

I think we're going to see within this year which path he's going to take, or where on the spectrum he ends up.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
Uncomfortable for everyone. Not just Roger. He's beaten Djokovic last two times they played and I'd give Nadal very poor odds of beating Kyrgios on grass.
I am sorry, I misread Carol's post. She did say to anyone not just Roger.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
Yes the current odds would favor Krygrios but not by the margins of very poor odds. We shalll see how Rafa performs on the clay events and the grass court tune ups which can be confidence builders depending how many victories he can tally.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:
Yes the current odds would favor Krygrios but not by the margins of very poor odds. We shalll see how Rafa performs on the clay events and the grass court tune ups which can be confidence builders depending how many victories he can tally.

In the old days, if you performed well at the FO, it usually was to the detriment of winning Wimbledon! Wilander and Lendl come to mind! Now that they've expanded the schedule to not only weeks, but multiple warm-up events, the task isn't as daunting! Edberg could have used the rest after killing himself at the FO for naught against Chang in '89 Final which went the distance! It truly puts Borg's efforts in perspective with his multiple Channel-Slams; '78-80 FO/Wimbledon combo!

Kyrgios would murder those guys on grass; taking no prisoners against Nole in their last 2 meetings on HC! I just don't know what's going to happen the next 2 months; already been an improbable season! I feel like I'm in a time warp back in 2012! :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy: :cover

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Confidence can't do much against this and I mean this from everyone's point of view, not just Nadal's. This guy is going to be a handful at Wimbledon if he's serving well.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvHzHNOwT-U[/video]

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Confidence can't do much against this and I mean this from everyone's point of view, not just Nadal's. This guy is going to be a handful at Wimbledon if he's serving well.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvHzHNOwT-U[/video]

You're probably more likely to get this from Nick at Wimbledon:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWO6mnIYdJ8[/video]

It's waaaay too soon to be bigging up Nick for Wimbledon.

And way too soon to be writing off Novak...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Bad example seeing as he had an arm injury there which is clearly visible from the sleeve he was wearing. He's also a much better player now than he was in 2014.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

He tanked. And he's done it elsewhere too. And he flopped in Oz. I'm not criticising him - I'm criticising any silly attempts to create a fake Nick bandwagon off the back of one (losing) performance...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I don't see too much improvement on Kyrgios, he has a VERY good serve but I'm still waiting for another 36 aces... I would be very surprised if he would repeat that feat again. He is very desperated playing and his bad carácter definitely doesn't help him too much. I see others players doing better roll than him

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

Front242 said:
Imo, Kyrgios would currently be the toughest opponent by far for Roger at Wimbledon based on current form and, in fact, he'd be the toughest for anyone else too.

I concur with that. Roger would probably love to see Kyrgios is on the other side of the draw so that they can't meet before the final. Apparently Kyrgios has never beaten Murray in a tournament so Murray probably wouldn't mind playing him.

And really...I'm going out on a limb and picking Kyrgios to win Wimbledon. Sure, I'm a huge Fed Fan but sooner or later he's going to lose a big match this year. :cry And given Djokovic's current slump and Murray not being at his best either? There's no better time for one of these wannabes to step up - IF they can.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions

Front242 said:
Like I said, based on current form. Djokovic lost to Querrey last year and hasn't been anywhere close to the level from Kyrgios this year imo but of course things can change fast. Him telling the world he wants to fix his stamina could be his way of telling everyone he has a new dirty trick up his sleeve. Next few months will be telling.

A "new dirty trick?" :snicker Golly...what are you accusing Nole of? Doesn't everybody sleep in a hypobaric oxygen chamber to oxygenate their blood? And I hate to break this to Nole - but he could do the same thing with a CPAP machine...not that I want to give him any ideas...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Carol35 said:
I don't see too much improvement on Kyrgios, he has a VERY good serve but I'm still waiting for another 36 aces... I would be very surprised if he would repeat that feat again. He is very desperated playing and his bad carácter definitely doesn't help him too much. I see others players doing better roll than him

The Nick thing in this thread is just silliness. There is no current form that tells us that Nick will do well at Wimbledon. None at all. I like Nick, but he's as likely to pull a Nalbandian and kick a lineswoman by mistake and get disqualified as make it to the third round, let alone face anyone who might win it.

Carol, what about Djoker asks Pete, or another great ex-pro to coach him? That seems to be the trend with players nowadays. The likes of Gilbert and Cahill and the big names coaches, they all seem to be out of favour, or outside the loop...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

The Nick thing in this thread is just silliness. There is no current form that tells us that Nick will do well at Wimbledon. None at all. I like Nick, but he's as likely to pull a Nalbandian and kick a lineswoman by mistake and get disqualified as make it to the third round, let alone face anyone who might win it.

Carol, what about Djoker asks Pete, or another great ex-pro to coach him? That seems to be the trend with players nowadays. The likes of Gilbert and Cahill and the big names coaches, they all seem to be out of favour, or outside the loop...

That's another thing that I don't have any clue (or is Novak who doesn't have?) thanks to his coach and team for years (the Serbian Doctor too) and later adding Becker to his team he has got so good results for awhile but now he has decided to send all of them to #$%l because according what he has said in Madrid he needs his own space and thinking about everything (like the couples when they need to be separate for a while because something is not working well...:D). I think that not even he knows what to do to recovery his game :nono