Your Wishlist

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just wanted to say what a great idea and thank you for putting up the TV schedules from around the world. That is over-the-top!

Thanks to tented for daily putting up the order of play. It's become standard fare for tennisfrontier, but again a very thoughtful and considerate approach to keeping the boards in good order while also taking care of us posters.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Just wanted to say what a great idea and thank you for putting up the TV schedules from around the world. That is over-the-top!

Thanks to tented for daily putting up the order of play. It's become standard fare for tennisfrontier, but again a very thoughtful and considerate approach to keeping the boards in good order while also taking care of us posters.

Thanks! :) I'm glad you like what we've been doing.

Goldenboy

Futures Player
Reactions
Is there a way to add a button to go directly to the first unread post of a thread? Similar to the link that takes you to the last post.

This feature is very useful for threads that receive a lot of comments. I have seen it on phpBB forums as a small yellow button.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
To begin with can some one post the exact times at which the re-runs of the two
mens semifinals, mens finals and womens finals will be shown on Tennis Channel.
I am afraid, I may have to miss some of the live action due to time diff.

Thanks

House

Futures Player
Reactions
A few questions, most of which I don't even know if they are possible/even something you can control.

The first of which is a mobile functionality to the forum. It has a second to half second delay when typing off of my cellphone. Specifically an Iphone. Any chance to have a mobile version of the threads that might remedy this?

Second. Notifications. On many boards I've been on that have "like" systems in place. They also have notification pages for the users so they can see when someone likes a post they've made, or when they've been quoted. Not sure that's even a functionality this board could run, but it's a nice addition if possible.

Finally, and this might be more useful to the admins and mods, when you go to quote someone else you often cause massive "mega quotes" where it's a huge block of txt, all repeated over and over. To fix this issue boards have set up their systems to only quote the contents of the post they clicked. An example would be; if I had quoted someone and wrote a reply, and then someone quotes me, only my message shows up in their quote.

Anyways just trying to do my part in keeping this board awesome. Not like any of these suggestions are vital, but just a few things I've seen work really well other places.

Great site you all have here. Happy to be around :)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
House said:
A few questions, most of which I don't even know if they are possible/even something you can control.

The first of which is a mobile functionality to the forum. It has a second to half second delay when typing off of my cellphone. Specifically an Iphone. Any chance to have a mobile version of the threads that might remedy this?

Britbox will have to answer this one.

Second. Notifications. On many boards I've been on that have "like" systems in place. They also have notification pages for the users so they can see when someone likes a post they've made, or when they've been quoted. Not sure that's even a functionality this board could run, but it's a nice addition if possible.

In your user profile click on the links for "Find all threads liked for" and "Find all posts liked for", and you'll see a list of these threads/posts. We currently don't have a way to notify people when they've been quoted, but we'll look into it.

Finally, and this might be more useful to the admins and mods, when you go to quote someone else you often cause massive "mega quotes" where it's a huge block of txt, all repeated over and over. To fix this issue boards have set up their systems to only quote the contents of the post they clicked. An example would be; if I had quoted someone and wrote a reply, and then someone quotes me, only my message shows up in their quote.

We've set the software to allow a maximum of five nested quotes per post.

Anyways just trying to do my part in keeping this board awesome. Not like any of these suggestions are vital, but just a few things I've seen work really well other places.

Great site you all have here. Happy to be around :)

We appreciate all suggestions and feedback, so thank you!

It's great to have you around again, House.

Goldenboy

Futures Player
Reactions
Hey tented, could you please answer my question above?

Thanks!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Goldenboy said:
Hey tented, could you please answer my question above?

Thanks!

Sorry, goldenboy, I didn't mean to ignore you.

I'm not sure about your request, but will look into it.

R

Rose

Can this Forum allow multiple posts to be quoted at the same time? Instead of quoting one post with your reply and then having to do a completely new post to reply to someone else.

R

Rose

Oh and while I'm wish would it be possible to have a little larger avatars?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Genie4Ever said:
Can this Forum allow multiple posts to be quoted at the same time? Instead of quoting one post with your reply and then having to do a completely new post to reply to someone else.

Glad to have you here, Genie. You can quote multiple posts. See the icon at the bottom right with 2 "talk bubbles"? Click on that for each of the posts you want to quote. Then, in the box where you post, at the bottom, you have the option to "quote all of these posts." Click on that. From there, write your responses in between the "quotes". If you're not sure, remember you can always "preview post" before posting. Further questions, feel free to PM me.

R

Rose

Oh gee thanks I didn't notice there were "two" talk bubbles so I thought that was just for one post only :blush:

It is nice to be here thanks :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Genie4Ever said:
Oh and while I'm wish would it be possible to have a little larger avatars?

While I think there is an answer to this, I'm not sure what it is. As to the avatar itself, I don't think so. Some, however, add images to their signature, though this is rather above my pay-grade, in terms of technology.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Genie,

We could up the size of the avatars, but the general feedback with things like signature strips, graphics etc... has tended to be "less is more"

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
House said:

Hi House,

There is an app called Tapatalk, which I can embed to give a more mobile friendly view.

You can download in advance of me doing the update at:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/tapatalk-connecting-commnities/id307880732?mt=8

or for Android Users:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Goldenboy said:
Is there a way to add a button to go directly to the first unread post of a thread? Similar to the link that takes you to the last post.

This feature is very useful for threads that receive a lot of comments. I have seen it on phpBB forums as a small yellow button.

Hi Goldenboy,

If you are logged in to the board then to the immediate left of each thread title containing undread posts, you will see a "green arrow". If you click that green arrow it should take you to the first post that you haven't read.

Britbox

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Is there a way to create a thread so that it can appear in multiple forums? For example,
the Hopman Cup thread (or for that matter any mixed doubles thread) would belong in
both the men's tennis forum and women's tennis forum.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Is there a way to create a thread so that it can appear in multiple forums? For example,
the Hopman Cup thread (or for that matter any mixed doubles thread) would belong in
both the men's tennis forum and women's tennis forum.

No, there's no way to do that. You would need to create separate threads for the Hopman Cup (to use your example).

Another option would be to create a thread in the General Tennis Talk forum which is partially defined as "any other tennis-related threads that aren't specifically ATP or WTA."

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, I always wanted to post this comment but forgot to do that.. "Priorities" I guess..

I know a thing or two about SEO (search engines optimization) and I must raise my concern about the quality of your "title" tags inside the HTML source code. They are not optimized for SEO and may be one of the reasons that other forums have an edge in traffic (not in quality) over your forums.
There may be other SEO weak spots in your forums, but the "title" tag in the HTML code screams for help.

Example:
The women tennis forum main page (home page) has this "title" tag:
"The Tennis Frontier - Women's Tennis - WTA Tour".
This is really poor in SEO terms. The words "forum" and "message board" must be inside this "title" tag! They will make your pages appear in search results in Google and other engines when users online search for forums on tennis.
Its a big SEO "sin" and must be changed.
A much better "title" tag for that page will be this:
"Tennis Frontier - Women Tennis Forum - WTA Message board".
It has 8 relevant words that will always be checked by Google from left to right.

Another example:
On each new thread made by the users, the "title" tag has only the text created by the user's title. Again, the words "women tennis forum message board" are missing and should be added after the original thread title made by the user.

You should also add the words "forums" and "message boards" in the "title" tag of the main home page of your website, here: http://www.tennisfrontier.com
Instead of the current "title" tag that says: "Tennis Frontier | Tennis News, Views and Discussion.",
You should make it be this: "Tennis Frontier News | Forums | Tennis Message Boards"
The words "Views and Discussion" give nothing to the SEO. The important words must be on the left side of the text.

Just trying to help with the traffic.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Look beyond traditional SEO because Google is. I'd place a lot more emphasis on content, site structure, strong inbound links and anchor titles on inbound links.

Currently we're approx in these positions:

#2 & #3 Mens Tennis Forum
#2 & #3 Womens Tennis Forum
#5 Ladies Tennis Forum
#5 Tennis Message Board
#14 Tennis Forum
#4 Tennis Discussion Forum
#3 wta tennis forum
#2 atp tennis forum

Google will vary search results on geographic locations and your own search history, but the above is what it churns out via a proxy server which has no search history tied to the users account.

I'm not sure you're aware but we started this site from scratch only 9 months ago. Google also carries less weight for new sites, so we're getting there and the number of forum users has increased x 5 in that period. The user base has grown from a standing start and sites like MTF and Tennis Warehouse (who we don't aspire to be, by the way) have a 10 year+ head start.