• Poll closed .

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Who your picks for this contest . I believe Nadal takes this in 2 close sets

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm going with Rafa. He's looking keen in this event and I don't see anybody beating him. But having said that, Roger is moving up through the gears quite handily, so I think it might be a struggle, maybe as close as their Cinci match...

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Roger is perfect against me indoors...he is big favorite, no?

Respectfully,
masterclass

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
More from the "Rafa interview"...

I will have to fight every point and be at my best to have any chance against Roger on this surface.
We saw how Roger raised his level against Juan Martin. When he plays like this he is very difficult to beat.

Roger will be very aggressive and win many free points on his serve. I have to stay close and put some pressure on him and hopefully get many balls deep in the court. If I hit short in middle of the court he will be in too good position for the winner, no?

But anyway, whatever happened, I will still be happy for maybe the best season of my career. One year ago I was watching this tournament on the television and I didn't know if I can be back. So it is very good and maybe lucky for me to be back here. So I will do my best. Good luck to Roger and his fans.

Respectfully and humbly,
masterclass

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa is still the favorite. I agree with tennisville - Rafa in two close sets. He'll go up quickly in the 1st set, like del Potro did, then Roger will come back but it will be too little too late. 6-4, 7-5

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Roger played great tennis from 1-5 down in the first set today, level went down from there till the middle of the second set, picked up again, etc....
Yo-yo tennis is not going to work against Rafa, no matter what the surface...He is too consistent and he wins this in 3. I say 3 because I believe roger will have one of those "up" moments at some point.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
masterclass said:
More from the "Rafa interview"...

I will have to fight every point and be at my best to have any chance against Roger on this surface.
We saw how Roger raised his level against Juan Martin. When he plays like this he is very difficult to beat.

Roger will be very aggressive and win many free points on his serve. I have to stay close and put some pressure on him and hopefully get many balls deep in the court. If I hit short in middle of the court he will be in too good position for the winner, no?

But anyway, whatever happened, I will still be happy for maybe the best season of my career. One year ago I was watching this tournament on the television and I didn't know if I can be back. So it is very good and maybe lucky for me to be back here. So I will do my best. Good luck to Roger and his fans.

Respectfully and humbly,
masterclass

:clap :lolz:

Eez the best of all time, no? Very lucky for me to beat him 21 times, eez no easy, Roger eez humanitarian, no? Happy for that. Gonna be need he humanitarian tomorrow cos very best player of all time, eez no chance to beat him, no?

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Now let's hear from the "Federer interview"...

Q: What's the key to the match tomorrow?

A: Clearly I have the match on my racquet here. But who knows what will happen?
Look, if I play loose games and give away my serve as much as I have the rest of this tournament, it will clearly be difficult for me. So I have to do better there.

Rafa has had a great year, after sitting out for 7 months, maybe his best, but I don't know, he did win 3 grand slams in 2010.

He has played well so far here beating everyone in his group so he clearly comes into this match with a lot of confidence.

I'm happy to come through and even though it seems a short time to the match tomorrow, I have to use that confidence I took in winning again against a top 10 player and play like I expect I can. If I can serve well and force Rafa to hit some short balls, I have a pretty good chance, I think. It's clearly a big match, and hope for the best for myself. So good luck to Rafa.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Classic stuff, masterclass! :clap

I'm confident in Nadal, but I hope he does it in 2.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Technically this thread is premature, right, until after the Djokovic/Gasquet match?

According to the WTF's website, it is not a done deal:

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/scores-centre/group-standings

If Djokovic loses in straight sets, he will have 2 wins, 1 loss, and 4 sets won, 4 sets lost.

Roger will also have 2 wins and 1 loss, but he will have 5 sets won, and only 3 sets lost -- that beats Novak.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good point, tented. We'll know soon. :)

EDIT: But the website calls the SFs set, as well. As usual, I'm confused.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Good point, tented. We'll know soon. :)

EDIT: But the website calls the SFs set, as well. As usual, I'm confused.

Kieran pointed out a post by Reddy in the Day 6 thread, which I just responded to:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1382&pid=57893#pid57893

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If there's one thing I hate about the WTF, it's the obligatory confusion. However, in this case, we're needlessly confusing ourselves, as Djokovic will not lose in straight sets, so no need to think about it...I hope.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
If there's one thing I hate about the WTF, it's the obligatory confusion. However, in this case, we're needlessly confusing ourselves, as Djokovic will not lose in straight sets, so no need to think about it...I hope.

And, again, I think that's what's happening: people are assuming Novak will win. Granted, the odds of Gasquet winning in straight sets are small, but it is theoretically possible.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

And, again, I think that's what's happening: people are assuming Novak will win. Granted, the odds of Gasquet winning in straight sets are small, but it is theoretically possible.

I don't see why shouldn't people assume Novak will not lose in straight sets to Gasquet...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyway, everywhere I read, it says Novak won the group...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger was asked about his semi with Rafa and he didn't deny it. He'd have mentioned it if there was odds of facing Stan...