WTF Final: Djokovic vs Nadal

Who wins Novak or Rafa?

• Total voters

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Edition XXXIX everyone feels enthusiastic about and last one this year. Who wins?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I think it will go the distance. Nole is great on this surface but Rafa is fresh and he has held his own. This might be his year. Nole has had some lame patches this week, whereas Nadal was sharp, excepting that one set against the Bird. Nadal in 3.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak is the man in form and obviously played at a much higher level today than we've seen from him so far. Unbeaten since the US Open, which is a great response to his disappointment there. The surface definitely suits him better, although Rafa leads him in h2h at the WTF, also beating him in London in 2010. But Novak is a great player and will be up to end the season high.

However, he's playing Rafa Nadal. And Nadal is playing better here than at anywhere since the US Open. He's fresh and combative.

Nadal, maybe in two, but hopefully it's a classic and goes deep in the third. These guys have a great rivalry and they'll serve us up an interesting match, whoever wins. Novak is favourite, but I like this Nadal...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I made my pick in the other thread. Copying it here for the record.

Anyway I think ND wins this, just like he did in Beijing right after
Nadal clinched #1 ordinary rank. This time he will do it after Nadal
clinching YE #1.

The key difference will be that ND will keep the unforced errors to
a minimum unlike Fed.

I voted for Novak in 3.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No idea. Novak picked it up today, and actually worked on some offense.

Ralf's never won this one, he's played well for the most part of the week, and will be tough.

Battle for the baseline and control of the points... I picked Novak in 2 contested sets.

:please:

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think Djokovic takes this in straights, something like 7-5 6-4, maybe a tie-breaker. That's my gut feeling. He's a much better Indoor player and has been playing with a remarkable swagger, cockiness and confidence for weeks now. There is something intangible about his mental state, approach and play at the moment I simply can't explain.

Nadal has played a fine tournament and has amassed yet another 1000 points here to cap off an incredible season but I can't see him winning this one due to simple matchup reasons which will be highlighted on this court more than anywhere else. Djokovic will be in all of his service games and simply won't allow him enough cheap/free points. In addition to that I don't see Nadal's forehand penetrating Djokovic's defense on this court. In fact Nadal had a hard time penetrating this court at all.

In order to overcome Djokovic here he would need to combine and concentrate all the right moves and successful adjustments he's made vs. Djokovic in Melbourne 2012, Paris SF 13 fifth set, Montreal SF and the USO final in patches. Which is, effective body serves and implacable serving in general, controlling the middle of the court and stepping in to take the initiative, going deep and big off of both wings as the backhand really won Nadal the matches in Paris and Montreal in my opinion. In a nutshell - it's go big or go home for Nadal.

I would like to see a competitive match here to give us one last moment of excitement and uncertainty before we are heading into the looooong off-season and festive periods but Nadal's offensive weapons, even if he goes all in and flattens them occasionaly, are way too harmless and not effective enough on this court in order to seriously threaten Djokovic's defense or to hurt him in general who I believe doesn't even have to play near his best to win this comfortably.

His natural game alone should prevail over Nadal's here, with his defense absorbing everything Nadal's throwing at him while he slowly but surely imposes his superior offensive abilities on the Spaniard. I genuinely hope I'm wrong but I feel this one will be a relatively straight-forward and unspectacular affair with some nice rallies here and there with the outcome never in doubt.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I also expect it will be a battle. Nadal knows that he's looking at his best chance to win this tournament, (even better than 2010,) and he's not one who tends to let opportunities slip by. Also, he's looked the more solid over the last week. However, Djokovic knows he's the more adept on this surface, and he's got spite in his corner: he'd like again to show-up the guy who took his #1, and I think he'll want to put himself into Rafa's head for any possible meeting in Oz. They may as well go all out at this point, so I expect a lot of fizz, and probably a lot of blood left on the courts. Hoping for a mini-classic.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Didi said:
I think Djokovic takes this in straights, something like 7-5 6-4, maybe a tie-breaker. That's my gut feeling. He's a much better Indoor player and has been playing with a remarkable swagger, cockiness and confidence for weeks now. There is something intangible about his mental state, approach and play at the moment I simply can't explain.

Nadal has played a fine tournament and has amassed yet another 1000 points here to cap off an incredible season but I can't see him winning this one due to simple matchup reasons which will be highlighted on this court more than anywhere else. Djokovic will be in all of his service games and simply won't allow him enough cheap/free points. In addition to that I don't see Nadal's forehand penetrating Djokovic's defense on this court. In fact Nadal had a hard time penetrating this court at all.

In order to overcome Djokovic here he would need to combine and concentrate all the right moves and successful adjustments he's made vs. Djokovic in Melbourne 2012, Paris SF 13 fifth set, Montreal SF and the USO final in patches. Which is, effective body serves and implacable serving in general, controlling the middle of the court and stepping in to take the initiative, going deep and big off of both wings as the backhand really won Nadal the matches in Paris and Montreal in my opinion. In a nutshell - it's go big or go home for Nadal.

I would like to see a competitive match here to give us one last moment of excitement and uncertainty before we are heading into the looooong off-season and festive periods but Nadal's offensive weapons, even if he goes all in and flattens them occasionaly, are way too harmless and not effective enough on this court in order to seriously threaten Djokovic's defense or to hurt him in general who I believe doesn't even have to play near his best to win this comfortably.

His natural game alone should prevail over Nadal's here, with his defense absorbing everything Nadal's throwing at him while he slowly but surely imposes his superior offensive abilities on the Spaniard. I genuinely hope I'm wrong but I feel this one will be a relatively straight-forward and unspectacular affair with some nice rallies here and there with the outcome never in doubt.

trying hard to convince yourself buddy :rolleyes:

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
201311101555573173721_o.jpg

VERSUS
201311101006363962301_o.jpg

britbox said:
I like Djokovic in 3.
I am so happy to see you posting this reply early, gives me confidence in my pick.
but although my heart says Nole in 3, my head says Rafa will win this....

I hope Nole stops the bleeding here and doesn't let Rafa run away with the year.

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
Djokovic in 3 close sets. This is a real rivalry, we just don't know who wins. Hope they play many more high profile matches.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
BTW, H2H is 22-16 in favor of Rafa.
2013 record is 3-2 in favor of Rafa.
Last match won in straights by Novak.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Didi said:

I do agree that Nadal has to be mindful of what he's done well against Novak this year on HCs, and execute it. Definitely Go Big or Go Home.

And, yes, Djokovic has got the swagger back, but not all the consistency. You're very dispassionate about the analysis, Didi, until the swoony bit I highlighted above: it's explainable, perhaps, because he's fighting for his #1 back, and he's on his better turf. I think you're wrong to say that Nadal hasn't been able to penetrate this court…he's been going deep. I don't think it's as clear-cut as you see it. I think each has a solid shot, and it'll come down to a few points here and there.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ilovetennis2 said:
britbox said:
huntingyou said:
britbox said:
I like Djokovic in 3.

I want to see the day you pick Rafa on a big match against his rivals.........

Picked Nadal to win yesterday :)

He said against his "rivals". :laydownlaughing

:cry

Which would pretty much leave about one player on the whole tour right now. Not really an outrageous pick on an indoor hardcourt. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal prevailed - just prefer Djokovic for this.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Novak is the man in form and obviously played at a much higher level today than we've seen from him so far. Unbeaten since the US Open, which is a great response to his disappointment there. The surface definitely suits him better, although Rafa leads him in h2h at the WTF, also beating him in London in 2010. But Novak is a great player and will be up to end the season high.

However, he's playing Rafa Nadal. And Nadal is playing better here than at anywhere since the US Open. He's fresh and combative.

Nadal, maybe in two, but hopefully it's a classic and goes deep in the third. These guys have a great rivalry and they'll serve us up an interesting match, whoever wins. Novak is favourite, but I like this Nadal...
Mr Kieran, I am going to trust Muhat and your assessment of the way Rafa has been playing this week. I stated earlier this week, I didn't expect Rafa to make it past the semis and I was proven wrong because Rafa has raised his game. If Rafa comes out with the same intensity as today, I have him winning in 3 close sets.