WTA TOUR FINALS, Singapore

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
WTA Finals - The Final!

v

Angelique Kerber v Dominika Cibulkova

H2H: Kerber leads 5-4

2016 WTA Championships 10 Hard Angelique Kerber Dominika Cibulkova 7-6(5) 2-6 6-3
2015 Beijing R32 Hard Angelique Kerber Dominika Cibulkova 6-1 6-4
2014 Tokyo QF Hard Angelique Kerber Dominika Cibulkova 6-3 6-0
2014 Slovakia v Germany - FC WG - R1 0 Hard Angelique Kerber Dominika Cibulkova 6-3 7-6(5)
2014 Sydney R32 Hard Angelique Kerber Dominika Cibulkova 7-6(5) 7-5
2013 Canadian Masters R32 Hard Dominika Cibulkova Angelique Kerber 6-7(0) 6-2 7-5
2013 Sydney SF Hard Dominika Cibulkova Angelique Kerber 6-2 4-6 6-3
2011 Australian Open R128 Hard Dominika Cibulkova Angelique Kerber 6-2 6-7(4) 6-4
2008 FO - RG R128 Clay Dominika Cibulkova Angelique Kerber 6-2 6-2

Reactions: teddytennisfan

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't believe Dominika made the finals after losing her first two matches... but I'll take it... Yay!!

Aga got smashed by Angie who is playing with supreme confidence and unbeaten here... but I actually thought Cibby could have taken that round robin match, she was up in the deciding set... this one is up for grabs.

Angie will be the favourite of course... but the Pocket Rocket has a chance.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I can't believe it either, but good for Cibulkova for making the best of it, after a slow start. Angie is the favourite, but you never know.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
i'm just glad that the hyped 'magical' radwa got whacked..nasty of me - i know...

but i don't like her. ..because she is resentfully dismissive when she loses...NEVER seen her been gracious towards her conquerors..

like she has some ''sense of entitlement" .

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great set by Dominika. Takes it 6-3.

Angie calls for the coach.

The Pocket Rocket is on fire at the moment... but I'm expecting a dip at some point.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominika takes it on fourth championship point!... on a net cord :eek:

What an incredible last game... four dueces, two break points, four championship points.... incredible defence from Kerber...

:drums::drums::drums::drums::drums:

WTA FINALS CHAMPION: Dominika Cibulkova d. Angelique Kerber 6-3 6-4

Dominika will be No.5 in the World on Monday after starting the year at #66.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
7f23a61a-6324-45bf-b013-79005f28adf4
7f23a61a-6324-45bf-b013-79005f28adf4
C2IrAtO.jpg

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominika takes it on fourth championship point!... on a net cord :eek:

What an incredible last game... four dueces, two break points, four championship points.... incredible defence from Kerber...

:drums::drums::drums::drums::drums:

WTA FINALS CHAMPION: Dominika Cibulkova d. Angelique Kerber 6-3 6-4

Dominika will be No.5 in the World on Monday after starting the year at #66.

amazing WIN for DOMEMICA -- WOW! her biggest win and so well-deserved .

ANGIE tried her best -- but THE little dynamo was just too much today!! wow.

===================================

now ANDY and JO-WILFRIED!

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
2 Match Points blown :facepalm:

What was so impressive was also domi\'s attitude.

even when she blew matchpoints -- she just smiled them away and got right back to business! but it showed Supreme Confidence..

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What was so impressive was also domi\'s attitude.

even when she blew matchpoints -- she just smiled them away and got right back to business! but it showed Supreme Confidence..

Yep, very impressive performance. She was so pumped up for this. I had a feeling she'd hit a dip in the second set, but she kept up the intensity. Always impressed by Kerber's defence though - it was unbelievable at times... particularly in that last game.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yep, very impressive performance. She was so pumped up for this. I had a feeling she'd hit a dip in the second set, but she kept up the intensity. Always impressed by Kerber's defence though - it was unbelievable at times... particularly in that last game.

ONE thing i'd like to see more of in the women's tennis is :

youngsters with big talent that actually do stuff like we see from their counterparte in the men's :

u know -- those in their teens and EARLY 20's - 24 DOESN'T quite cut it for me in terms of ''new young talent" - even 23 --

as i think that the women's game is somewhat different in terms of the mix needed between ''full body maturity" and mental acumen than in the men's ...and i think that there is LESS reason for the women younger talents to step UP to the likes of the veterans like kerber (by now - who herself has taken a lot of time really to make her grand slam breakthrough) serena (clearly in her final years) -

so far we've had really only muguruza..

so there's , imo, a gaping disconnect between high-quality technic and mental maturity among the women ''top players" -

from the men. i mean - it IS nice to see a little tyke like Domenica make her big breakthrough - especially , full credit to her, after a year of disappointment.

but - imo -- in the absence of serena even in a half-season - the BEST that can come up are someone like cibulkova - compared to the days of the capriatis, henin, clisjters, sharapova, and even until 2 years ago - vika -

there's been a dearth of THAT level of 'talent, physique, maturity" as majors , really big title challengers and winners.

instead -- VIKA , MARIA, SERENA, basically done for the season -

a ''standard" is someone like -- radwanska in terms of technique?
''power" standard is -- kerber? (no offense)
'big breakthrough" - is cibulkova?

still -- one can only hope the NEXT year is coming with RICHER showings from the girls, frankly.

from the boys -- the top guns have basically held up their side -

NOLE AND MURRAY are in their respective showings no less impressive than their predecessors or peers at the top - their YOUNGER challengers as well as a few ''peers" like del potro at least show up with some really spectacular tennis worthy of grand slam titles against the best...
young guns are showing there's a GOOD chance their generation will be a fine rich replacement of talent and feisty players rather than

mainly players who rely on ''who makes fewer mistakes".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One of the reasons Domi hasnt won more titles in her career has been her inability to close out matches,nerves and belief ( confidence) being the main factors.This has been her biggest title win of her career,she played a great final,outplayed Kerber.
Even when she was serving for the title,nerves I felt was a factor,still she overcame them and won in straight sets.Well deserved Pocket Rocket,she has to be one of the most friendliest players on tour and always has soo much time for her fans.