WTA TOUR FINALS, Singapore

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One of the reasons Domi hasnt won more titles in her career has been her inability to close out matches,nerves and belief ( confidence) being the main factors.This has been her biggest title win of her career,she played a great final,outplayed Kerber.
Even when she was serving for the title,nerves I felt was a factor,still she overcame them and won in straight sets.Well deserved Pocket Rocket,she has to be one of the most friendliest players on tour and always has soo much time for her fans.

Yeah, she looked very nervy... Double fault on the first match point. Kerber is also tough to close out on these days. I had bad vibes in that last game that Angelique was going to break back and completely change the momentum. I had a big sigh of relief when she sealed it with that net cord :)

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, she looked very nervy... Double fault on the first match point. Kerber is also tough to close out on these days. I had bad vibes in that last game that Angelique was going to break back and completely change the momentum. I had a big sigh of relief when she sealed it with that net cord :)

I was holding my breath too. That was quite a hurdle to overcome. The odds were so stacked against her, qualifying at the last minute, rebuilding her confidence and it all came down to winning the biggest title of her career. Her heart had to be thumping, but she never gave up. She looked like she was ready to keep going to me. I thought even if she had lost all of those match points she would've kept going after Angie. She had so much to play for. Her family and team had to be the biggest inspiration. Can you believe how her parents lived and died by every point, her dad openly sobbing. I really don't think Dommie was going to let them down. That match was a culmination of everything she went through this past year.

All hail Dominika Cibulkova, the pint-sized champion!!!!!

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions

I like her even more now. What an open, honest, and genuine interview. She called it like it happened. She had to have gotten confidence from playing Angie so tough on the first day, in her debut at The Finals. I'm guessing that's why Angie was nervous. Dommie gave her a fight that she wasn't expecting. Many times the newbie comes in with a "happy to be here" attitude. Dominika came to do damage and that's just what she did. I'm still smiling thinking about this champion with a big heart.

Last she made her first major final, this year she won her biggest title thus far, next year...?

Come on Dominika, you can snag one if those other girls can. I can't wait.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
before you know it -- the year is DONE!!

makes for the questions for 2017:

such as:

WILL the MAJORS winners 2016 defend?
Kerber - 2 GS
muguruza - FO
williams - wimbledon

and if not or even if - which players will more likely win their FIRST..such as among

cibulkova, halep..and ......it's hard for me to eke out ...radwa...?
OR a someone else?

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
before you know it -- the year is DONE!!

makes for the questions for 2017:

such as:

WILL the MAJORS winners 2016 defend?
Kerber - 2 GS
muguruza - FO
williams - wimbledon

and if not or even if - which players will more likely win their FIRST..such as among

cibulkova, halep..and ......it's hard for me to eke out ...radwa...?
OR a someone else?

This tennis season flew by. I can't believe it'll be 2017 in a few months. I'm not sold on Kerber, she might eke out one, but she seemed to be winding down a lot by season's end.

Muguruza remains a question. She's turning into Sloane Stepens Jr. I don't know about her.

Serena? Will she even play? Lately all she does is attend events and dally around in social media.

Maybe it's the year for Pliskova and Cibulkova. Halep needs to get her emotions in check and Madison needs to learn how to temper her game. Either way it'll be interesting.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
sloane hardly showed up . strange. i wonder if she's even serious anymore, frankly. maybe she has gotten impatient with herself too. and it could be she's STILL just not mature enough - and needs even more time to be more disciplined in her whole career. at least it looks like that to me.

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
sloane hardly showed up . strange. i wonder if she's even serious anymore, frankly. maybe she has gotten impatient with herself too. and it could be she's STILL just not mature enough - and needs even more time to be more disciplined in her whole career. at least it looks like that to me.

I know. She won three titles ( I think) and then disappeared. She's a strange one. Impatient and immature. She's got a lot of growing up to do.