Wow - what an article

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Maria Sharapova’s pass for admitted drug use highlights another double standard Serena Williams must fight against

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Thursday, March 10, 2016, 3:52 PM

"In this moment, I am so proud to call you my fans. Within hours of my announcement, you show me support and loyalty, which I could only expect to hear when someone would be at the top of their profession."

So goes the thank you note that Maria Sharapova sent to all of her fans yesterday — two days after her announcement she failed a test for using the performance-enhancing drug meldonium. Sharapova, who is Russian, spent the afternoon reading the beautiful messages and the newly created #LetMariaPlay and #IStandWithMaria Twitter hashtags. Sharapova hadn't mentioned if she got around to reading the hashtag #WholeWorldWithMaria. She should be pleased that her thank you note was followed up by a Change.org petition asking the Women's Tennis Association: "Don't Suspend Maria".

One Sharapova defender predictably tweeted: "And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate."

No. Not really.

After three days since Sharapova's announcement, her "haters" are largely staying home.

And that wouldn't be the worst thing if Serena Williams didn't eat hate for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

SPONSORS BEGIN TO DROP MARIA SHARAPOVA

In an interview Tuesday, a complimentary Williams praised Sharapova's "courage" and "heart" in openly admitting to her failed test. In that same interview, a reporter asked Williams about 'double standards" because "many believe (Sharapova) is being punished harshly" versus male athletes.

Serena responded: "To be perfectly honest, I think in sport and in life there always is a double standard. Always. Everyone knows. Whether it's a race thing or a sex thing, there's always been a double standard."

The question targeted gender double standards, but Williams broadened her answer to include race.

If Sharapova's failed test is being compared to white male corporate machines like Lance Armstrong or Peyton Manning, well then yes, there's a double-standard there. The truly incredible decade-long institutional protection afforded Lance included multiple failed drug tests as far back as 1999, and the more recent HGH Peyton pass (and other allegations) don't suggest a new day has arrived for white male sports icons.

If Sharapova were them, her failed test may never have seen the light of day. This is exactly what happened in 1997 when tennis star Andre Agassi tested positive for crystal meth. Everyone agreed it was a mistake and stayed quiet (it wasn't!).

WHAT IS MELDONIUM?

Serena Williams dominates Maria Sharapova on the court, but can't come close to her rival when it comes to money earned from endorsements.

While Sharapova isn't receiving the fierce protection of a Lance, Peyton, or even Agassi, it is still nothing near the persecution Serena would receive for failing a drug test.

For the most part the mainstream sports media reaction has been one of kid glove neutrality.

Just ask The Atlantic editor, David Frum, who never needed the evidence of a failed test last year to throw steroid accusations Serena's way at a time America should have been celebrating her dominance. Has Frum weighed in yet on Sharapova yet? Or is Serena's "muscular frame" — as the New York Times put it — considered more substantial 'evidence' than an actual failed test?

Yes, there is a white gender double-standard. But stopping there without sifting through Sharapova's astounding privilege erases the lived experience of Williams as a black woman in a lily white tennis world that has never hesitated to hate her.

Before we continue, let's put to rest the notion Sharapova is somehow dainty or lacks physical advantages over opponents. Sharapova is 6-foot-2 — five inches taller than Williams and taller than most of the men reading this column. And Sharapova’s signature stamina is far more consistent with her 10-year use of meldonium as Performance Enhancer than its 4-6 week recommended use for a medical condition. Or as former player Jennifer Capriati tweet-splained:

“I didn't have the high-priced team of drs that found a way for me to cheat and get around the system and wait for science to catch up."

Capriati’s initial reaction before she deleted her tweet is about as strong as the alleged 'hate' gets for Sharapova. The stronger early voices have come from her competitors who feel cheated. Capriati doesn't care that Meldonium wasn't illegal until 2016. She cares that Sharapova had a pharmaceutical advantage that she did not. Who knows what else?

And during those 10 years on meldonium, Sharapova still lost to Williams 18 straight times and counting.

Even still, Sharapova, the endorsement-darling, still out earned Williams every single year.

Despite earning half the amount of career-earnings as Serena on-the-court, Sharapova's career earnings of $285 million doubles Williams’ career earnings. The African-American mantra that Williams 'had to work twice as hard to get half as much' is more than a saying. For Serena, it is a statistical fact.

This fact extends far past Serena and sports. In our national election discussions on "Equal Pay for Women" the wage gap between African-American women and white men is nearly double the gap as for white women.

In tennis language, Sharapova and Andy Murray both made more endorsement money than Williams last year, and Serena shouldn't have to choose which is more absurd (note: women's tennis often creates more revenue than men's).

When asked about the Sharapova disparity, Williams said last year: "If they want to market someone who is white and blond, that's their choice. I can't sit here and say I should be higher on the list because I have won more…I'm happy for her, because she worked hard, too.''

Williams is being gracious. Sports writers should be more discerning. Serena is arguably the greatest athlete of the 21st century. She deserves more, way more. But American media has never embraced Serena, and media as far away as New Zealand believe she is "too black" to be accepted in white America. Sports writer Merlisa Lawrence Corbett explains:

"What is clear to many black women is that when it comes to Williams, regardless of intent, some white guys just don't get it. Oblivious to the black woman's unique experience in this country-enduring racism and sexism-too many white men discuss Williams in the context of their reality. (Darren) Rovell, who suggested racism couldn't be a factor with Williams simply because LeBron James is getting paid, seems to assume black male and black female athletes share a singular experience. That's simply not the case."

As a black woman, Serena's entire tennis career has been one huge double-standard after another: from pay equity; to racism by Indian Wells fans that haunted her for a long time; to foreign white players receiving more love; to angry-looking magazine covers that say "Love Her, Hate Her"; to ignoring her significant activism; to being severely fined and lambasted for the type of behavior that earns John McEnroe endorsements; to Nike pictures that highlight three inferior white players over her; to fans who were upset a horse didn't win Sports Illustrated’s Sportsperson of the Year; to a career full of steroid allegations that never required a shred of evidence.

The context of Serena's experience is why we must ask about Maria: "Where's the Hate?"

While former WADA President Dick Pound called Sharapova "reckless beyond description," the tennis legends have been kind. Martina Navratilova believes Sharapova made "an honest mistake" and her rival Chris Evert offers more clues when she stated:

"This is why it's so surprising to everyone. For everyone in tennis world, Maria Sharapova is the last person that we expect this to happen to."

But why Ms. Evert?

Who were you expecting?

If Maria is the last person that would be expected from tennis world, then why would we trust anyone so surprised to weigh in on whether Maria made an honest mistake that included missing five warnings over a PED taken that is very calculated and common risk. As we learn more about meldonium with each passing day, Maria's little mistake seems less plausible.

One can't be surprised by those around tennis for wanting to protect the image of their sport. And in Sharapova's effort to protect her career and endorsements (she has temporarily lost a few), one certainly can't blame her for taking a lead in controlling her story's narrative. One can also laud Sharapova in using her own media to tell her story in a way that is far more refreshing than Manning's HGH Hammer.

But for everyone else who has largely ranged from light wrist-slapping to hands off to #IStandWithMaria fan clubs…

In the name of Serena Williams - Where's the Hate?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/modiano-hate-sharapova-pass-foreign-serena-article-1.2560239

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Evert is distancing herself from pova and life has a way of getting even...remember last year the media was so jealous of Serena winning a slam in NY and they body shamed her and then humiliated her by saying that even though your are breaking records no one cares about you we love Maria more than you plus we give her more money.Evert had the audacity to say she knows why Serena loves beating pova...its because of the money....
well ..the universe intervened....
I always had a bad feeling about pova for years and now ..I know why I got bad vibes about her...its because she is not honest.:nono

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't know why people are so surprise about dope-pa-pova. I really was not shocked to hear the news. Not shock either that folks would come out and stick up for her. We all know had it been Serena, we would still be reading articles on every message board and seeing the scroll on every TV channel in the US and probably Europe too. And folks claim there's no racism.....:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing... God don't like ugly and what goes around comes around. Also surprise that more sponsors has not kicked her to the curb....again, had this been Serena, after the news broke ALL of Serena's sponsors would have already kicked her to the curb.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Ten 10yrs this woman has been taking PEDS so she can beat her opponents...10 fucking years and in addition those 10yrs sponsors threw money at her feet and all along this bitch has been cheating...White America is something else....

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
Ten 10yrs this woman has been taking PEDS so she can beat her opponents...10 **** years and in addition those 10yrs sponsors threw money at her feet and all along this bitch has been cheating...White America is something else....

Technically she's only been cheating a few months but WADA and the ITF should be more clued in to prescription drugs. No drug for heart conditions should be allowed for healthy athletes unless proven they have a major heart problem which in fact they most likely couldn't have or they wouldn't be able to play a very physically demanding sport in the first place. That they let this go for 10 years is a joke. Clearly if a lot of people are taking a prescription drug for heart problems and are young and healthy there has to be a benefit from taking it and yet it took till 2015 for them to finally cop this. Anyway, as much as I can't stand her and hope she gets a lengthy sentence (which I doubt), the reality is she's been using a legal PED until a few months ago so WADA and the ITF are to blame for not making it illegal years ago. The sad thing is wasn't banned till recently so it can't be deemed cheating till now so eventhough she has had an unfair advantage for 10 years they can't do anything about that.

For her opponents who happened to be clean though, she'll forever more be seen as a cheat and doper and they'll know if their loss came down to a question of stamina in a 3rd set, that they were beaten by someone who had a boost of fake cardio from popping pills. And no outcome of her trial will change this.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So Maria has stooped to saying the notifications by email /public websites were not clear enough nor did she have ample warning.

Is she actually now going to claim that she has NO ONE on her team that can do these things for her? With mandatory drug testing at the Majors.

As always, the coverup seems to sink people more than the initial crime.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
She really needs to stay off social media because she's digging the hole deeper and deeper.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
special700 said:
I don't know why people are so surprise about dope-pa-pova. I really was not shocked to hear the news. Not shock either that folks would come out and stick up for her. We all know had it been Serena, we would still be reading articles on every message board and seeing the scroll on every TV channel in the US and probably Europe too. And folks claim there's no racism.....:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing... God don't like ugly and what goes around comes around. Also surprise that more sponsors has not kicked her to the curb....again, had this been Serena, after the news broke ALL of Serena's sponsors would have already kicked her to the curb.

I am sure why people are surprised either; she has such a sneaky aura. Well, whatever they think of her, we all know now that she is cheatapova. Or: Dirty Maria (dirty drug test).