With Shanghai starting and Del Potro hopefully returning in the near future.....

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
how about we commemorate this spectacular display of the best forehand in the modern game? I understand that his opponent in this match does often provide sitters to tee off on but this was still very impressive.

Shanghai 2013 semifinals:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It was a very impressive performance indeed.

Weirdly though, "the best forehand in the modern game" looked unremarkable compared to his opponent's forehand a few years later:

The scoreline after the first set is a little brutal. I wonder what happened.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was a very impressive performance indeed.

Weirdly though, "the best forehand in the modern game" looked unremarkable compared to his opponent's forehand a few years later:

The scoreline after the first set is a little brutal. I wonder what happened.

Delpo is 2-1 against Gnatal at the US Open.....his 2017 loss mostly had to do with fatigue after the prior match against Federer, just as Nadal's loss to Delpo in 2018 was in part due to the prior match against Thiem.

But the most lopsided encounter between these two at the US Open was of course in 2009, when Delpo won 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. Unlike Nadal in 2017, Delpo did not drop a set in 2009.

Nadal's win in the 2017 semifinals was a vintage stamina win.....his higher level wasn't better than Delpo's but he just had more energy. Nadal is the MFOAT (with Djokovic in contention at various points in his career) - the Most Fit Of All Time.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Delpo is 2-1 against Gnatal at the US Open.....his 2017 loss mostly had to do with fatigue after the prior match against Federer, just as Nadal's loss to Delpo in 2018 was in part due to the prior match against Thiem.

But the most lopsided encounter between these two at the US Open was of course in 2009, when Delpo won 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. Unlike Nadal in 2017, Delpo did not drop a set in 2009.

Nadal's win in the 2017 semifinals was a vintage stamina win.....his higher level wasn't better than Delpo's but he just had more energy. Nadal is the MFOAT (with Djokovic in contention at various points in his career) - the Most Fit Of All Time.

Yes I'm sure Del Potro was just exhausted from a 4 setter with Federer and a day off afterwards.

Nadal absolutely killed Del Potro with inside out and down the line forehands in the last 3 sets after not going for that shot in the first. We were all here, and we all commented on it. You can fabricate the fatigue narrative because it's all you do, but it wouldn't justify why Nadal's forehand looked utterly superior, as it did at the FO the following where he absolutely humiliated Del Potro, and Wimbledon a few weeks after where he produced 42 forehand winners to Del Potro's 32, or Wimbledon 2011 where he just sailed one winner after another 61 to 44 (which says a lot considering how much bigger DP's serve is), or every time they played at Indian Wells...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

You are hilarious. Del Potro lost because he was tired, in 2017? Nadal won because he's fit? This isn't HS tennis. Anyway, if you think it's OK to say that JMDP lost in 2017 because he was so fatigued, then you should have thought to mention that Nadal lost so badly in 2009 in part because he had an ab tear. To be clear, I have never said that Nadal was going to win that match, necessarily, but that the ab injury had something to do with the poor scoreline. If you're going to add asterisks, you should mention all of them.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If you're going to add asterisks, you should mention all of them.

I just mentioned the long match against Thiem in 2018 you dimwit. So don't accuse me of being unbalanced. Unlike you I have the capability of being evenhanded.

As for the US Open 2009, I am not buying the injury excuse for a minute. It's almost as stupid as your hamstring excuse for Nadal at Hamburg 2008. Nadal's ab was okay enough for him to reach the semis of the US Open and then all of a sudden he is at 40%? I'm not buying it.

Granted, that argument is less ridiculous than what you said about Hamburg in 2008, where Nadal very likely faked an injury at the start of the first set. For you to act like it was deeply serious even though he went on to win the set and then the match in 3 and play Roland Garros at full health a few weeks later is beyond absurd.

Reactions: Front242

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just mentioned the long match against Thiem in 2018 you dimwit. So don't accuse me of being unbalanced. Unlike you I have the capability of being evenhanded.

As for the US Open 2009, I am not buying the injury excuse for a minute. It's almost as stupid as your hamstring excuse for Nadal at Hamburg 2008. Nadal's ab was okay enough for him to reach the semis of the US Open and then all of a sudden he is at 40%? I'm not buying it.

Granted, that argument is less ridiculous than what you said about Hamburg in 2008, where Nadal very likely faked an injury at the start of the first set. For you to act like it was deeply serious even though he went on to win the set and then the match in 3 and play Roland Garros at full health a few weeks later is beyond absurd.

You insults and condescension usually indicate a position of weakness. I said nothing about Thiem, nor are we talking about Hamburg. You have forgotten the 2009 ab strain, is all.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You can fabricate the fatigue narrative because it's all you do, but it wouldn't justify why Nadal's forehand looked utterly superior,

Lol.....you would call that fabrication, because you are too obtuse to realize the importance of fitness and when someone is clearly energized and/or tired. Delpo has never been the most durable guy or the best at recovering after long matches. The Federer match was very intense and it was also one I do not think Delpo himself expected to win. If I recall correctly, it finished well after midnight and the third set tiebreak was very long.

Djokovic or Gnatal would be able to recover no problem from that with 1 day of rest but they are not everyone on tour - a reality that does not seem to dawn on you when it comes to fitness. The reason you blow that reality off is that you want to excessively glamourize Nadal's game and attribute his success to something higher than just out-lasting opponents.

as it did at the FO the following where he absolutely humiliated Del Potro, and Wimbledon a few weeks after where he produced 42 forehand winners to Del Potro's 32, or Wimbledon 2011 where he just sailed one winner after another 61 to 44 (which says a lot considering how much bigger DP's serve is), or every time they played at Indian Wells...

Goodness fucking gracious.....now you want to talk winners? Seriously?

Do you want to talk about Verdasco hitting 94 to Nadal's 52 in the Australian Open semfinal? Or Gulbis hitting 59 to Nadal's pitiful 13? Or all the matches in which Djokovic has had more FH winners despite supposedly having a worse forehand than Nadal (including, btw, the 2013 US Open final)?

As for your point about Delpo v. Nadal, my main retort to that would be that Delpo's movement on grass leaves a lot to be desired and his backhand is a clear weakness on grass to the point that it ruins his rhythm overall. Nadal knows that, to his credit, and that's why he has pounded away at it at Wimbledon. On hardcourts Delpo has more time to set up his shots. Reflexes and snappy defensive replies on the BH wing are not Delpo's strengths.

But that doesn't change the fact that his forehand is better than Nadal's. You always confuse the forehand itself with everything that leads up to it. If Nadal was to play Berretini at Wimbledon, there would be a good chance that he would hit more winners. Is that because his forehand is better? No, it's because his backhand is better to a point that it would allow him to set up his forehand much more easily.

Last edited:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You insults and condescension usually indicate a position of weakness. I said nothing about Thiem, nor are we talking about Hamburg.

You accused me of not being balanced when I clearly said that Nadal's fatigue from the Thiem match played a role in Delpo's win last year. I purposely did not mention his ab strain in 2009 because I find the excuse to be utterly ridiculous.

It would be like me saying that Nalbandian lost to Tsonga in Paris in 2008 because his hip was hurting. That argument is ridiculous in light of the fact that he made it all the way to the final.

Unless someone's body just breaks down in front of your eyes, I have no time for injury excuses. Fatigue is one thing after a long tournament run but injuries are usually a nonsense excuse.

Did Nadal lose in Hamburg 2007 and Madrid 2009 to Federer because of the prior day's matches against Djokovic? Yes, in part that was definitely the case. Those matches were brutal and exhausting and Nadal did not even have a full day to recover. Plus they came on the heels of long stretches of playing virtually every day.

Did he lose to Delpo at the 2009 US Open because his ab was hurting? No. He had enough energy to chase balls all over the court and prolong points (which gave Delpo the opportunity to hit the highlight reel winners that he did).

See what I am doing Moxie? I am being evenhanded, something you seriously struggle with.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lol.....you would call that fabrication, because you are too obtuse to realize the importance of fitness and when someone is clearly energized and/or tired. Delpo has never been the most durable guy or the best at recovering after long matches. The Federer match was very intense and it was also one I do not think Delpo himself expected to win. If I recall correctly, it finished well after midnight and the third set tiebreak was very long.

Djokovic or Gnatal would be able to recover no problem from that with 1 day of rest but they are not everyone on tour - a reality that does not seem to dawn on you when it comes to fitness. The reason you blow that reality off is that you want to excessively glamourize Nadal's game and attribute his success to something higher than just out-lasting opponents.

Goodness fucking gracious.....now you want to talk winners? Seriously?

Do you want to talk about Verdasco hitting 94 to Nadal's 52 in the Australian Open semfinal? Or Gulbis hitting 59 to Nadal's pitiful 13? Or all the matches in which Djokovic has had more FH winners despite supposedly having a worse forehand than Nadal (including, btw, the 2013 US Open final)?

As for your point about Delpo v. Nadal, my main retort to that would be that Delpo's movement on grass leaves a lot to be desired and his backhand is a clear weakness on grass to the point that it ruins his rhythm overall. Nadal knows that, to his credit, and that's why he has pounded away at it at Wimbledon. On hardcourts Delpo has more time to set up his shots. Reflexes and snappy defensive replies on the BH wing are not Delpo's strengths.

But that doesn't change the fact that his forehand is better than Nadal's. You always confuse the forehand itself with everything that leads up to it. If Nadal was to play Berretini at Wimbledon, there would be a good chance that he would hit more winners. Is that because his forehand is better? No, it's because his backhand is better to a point that it would allow him to set up his forehand much more easily.

Except we’re talking Nadal and Del Potro. So eat shit.

Never mind the fact that Nadal’s forehand is infinitely better than Berretini, if he’s able to hit more winners because his backhand is better, then so what? Aren’t you the guy who jerks off to Nalbandian’s backhand?

But yes please keep bringing up matches from decades ago. As if Nadal’s game hasn’t changed. How many guys outhit Nadal nowadays? Federer? Djokovic? Who else?

You rave about the number of winners any time someone outhits Nadal. Then when Nadal does, you find excuses as to why. Set up with the backhand? So fucking what? What kind of arbitrary shit is that? How many winners does Fed set up with his serve? How many winners does Novak set up with the backhand?

And yeah, keep talking about stamina. I know your meltdown is still in process (there’s that word again) so we’re all pulling for you. It would require stamina to get over it. I believe in you.

For the future, please find more recent examples for relevance’s sake. The fact that you have to nit pick a few matches here and there from years ago says everything.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In fairness, any psychiatrist would.

Lol.....a psychiatrist speaking to you would fall asleep 5 minutes into the session and forget what you said out of boredom. What's Broken's mental condition, Doctor? "Looks to me like we have a classic case of Borderline Boredom Disorder. Let's prescribe some spicy food to generate some energy in this fellow."

This post also shows how white you are.....it is a standard ploy of white so-called "liberals" (they're not really liberal) to accuse those they disagree with of being crazy in the head or something to that effect. I don't really find it bothersome on a personal level since being accused of craziness usually means being nonconformist and breaking with the herd, but I do have nothing but contempt for the pretense of total mental balance from the people who usually make this charge.

The irony is that they defend something like this. It is the ideas of you and Muh-muh-Moxie which are producing this massive problem of hundreds of people hating their lives and wanting to commit suicide because they have changed their gender. That is a real psychiatric problem, not poking fun at the times that Nadal has been owned:

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds...eking-help-to-return-to-original-sex-11827740

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Except we’re talking Nadal and Del Potro. So eat shit.

I do not live in one of the American cities (i.e. San Francisco and L.A.) governed by people who think like you and Moxie, so unfortunately I do not have the luxury of walking outside in the middle of the day into a tent city with feces and drug needles on the ground where I could have the fecal feast you always have in mind.

But if you're ever interested I recommend going to Los Angeles sometime so you can fulfill your fantasy of eating feces. You could sleep in a tent city for a night and then munch away on those little brown snacks on the road. That's the good America you respect - the places where you can eat shit to your heart's content.

Never mind the fact that Nadal’s forehand is infinitely better than Berretini,

Why is Nadal's forehand better than Berretini? Because he chases more shots and gets them into the court? Lol.

if he’s able to hit more winners because his backhand is better, then so what?

That means his BH is better.

Aren’t you the guy who jerks off to Nalbandian’s backhand?

That would be Chris Fowler's reaction to the Big 3, with Mary Carillo waiting in the hot tub with a rubber ducky for ol' Chrissy to join him.

But yes please keep bringing up matches from decades ago. As if Nadal’s game hasn’t changed. How many guys outhit Nadal nowadays? Federer? Djokovic? Who else?

Fognini did in Monte Carlo. Thiem did in Barcelona. Titty-pass did in Madrid.

You rave about the number of winners any time someone outhits Nadal. Then when Nadal does, you find excuses as to why. Set up with the backhand? So fucking what? What kind of arbitrary shit is that? How many winners does Fed set up with his serve? How many winners does Novak set up with the backhand?

Those are fair points but my point about Delpo on grass is that he is clearly uncomfortable moving and reacting on grass. It is blatantly obvious and should be pointed out.

And yeah, keep talking about stamina. I know your meltdown is still in process (there’s that word again) so we’re all pulling for you. It would require stamina to get over it. I believe in you.

Just like I'm sure you believed in Nadal during the Australian Open final.

For the future, please find more recent examples for relevance’s sake. The fact that you have to nit pick a few matches here and there from years ago says everything.

A few matches? Really? Nadal must be King of Hardcourts now. He's never lost a match on hardcourts I suppose.

Also, aren't you the one who has said that the current generation is terrible? Now I guess that is not a factor because Nadal has improved so much. The way that he annihilated Schwartzman really showed that.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lol.....a psychiatrist speaking to you would fall asleep 5 minutes into the session and forget what you said out of boredom. What's Broken's mental condition, Doctor? "Looks to me like we have a classic case of Borderline Boredom Disorder. Let's prescribe some spicy food to generate some energy in this fellow."

This post also shows how white you are.....it is a standard ploy of white so-called "liberals" (they're not really liberal) to accuse those they disagree with of being crazy in the head or something to that effect. I don't really find it bothersome on a personal level since being accused of craziness usually means being nonconformist and breaking with the herd, but I do have nothing but contempt for the pretense of total mental balance from the people who usually make this charge.

The irony is that they defend something like this. It is the ideas of you and Muh-muh-Moxie which are producing this massive problem of hundreds of people hating their lives and wanting to commit suicide because they have changed their gender. That is a real psychiatric problem, not poking fun at the times that Nadal has been owned:

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds...eking-help-to-return-to-original-sex-11827740

Man, imagine how sad somebody must be to respond to a standard juvenile insult by going on 20 tangents.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Man, imagine how sad somebody must be to respond to a standard juvenile insult by going on 20 tangents.

Lol.....Broken can't ever survive a lively back-and-forth because his comebacks are too lame, and then he gets mad because I point out a) how boring his style is, and b) how ridiculous and contrived his Kevin Durant-swearing act is. So what's he do? Calls someone sad.

Good one, buddy. Good one.