Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JJ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Like last year, we shall have these fun polls before the big ones.
check last year's poll:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=71

So, this is 2014, a little different than last year.

Who wins?

I am listing the top 8, add your own if you have to.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well Madrid is my least favourite clay court tournament for starters.Regardless of the altitude,the court plays more like a hard court.At least they got rid of that horrid blue colour.....geez.Also it isn't a tournament that gives any true preparation for Roland Garos.

My first question mark is Li Na? who didn't play Stuggart this year.Li was runner up to Sharapova last year.From what I have read Li wen't to Munich,Germany to have test's on her left knee.I still have my thinking cap on in regards to this tournament.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
As long as Serena is healthy and fit, no one is going to stop her. I am hoping to see her against Pova at some point in this tourney. Go Serena!!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
rugged said:
As long as Serena is healthy and fit, no one is going to stop her. I am hoping to see her against Pova at some point in this tourney. Go Serena!!

Why would you want to see that again? It's the most boring, predictable match-up (no, not rivalry) in the WTA. I hope I never see them play again.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
rugged said:

Why would you want to see that again? It's the most boring, predictable match-up (no, not rivalry) in the WTA. I hope I never see them play again.

There is reason to see that again. Pova might get inspired by Ferrer and/or Almagro.
I do want to see them clash once on clay, not necessarily in each stop on clay.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
rugged said:

There is reason to see that again. Pova might get inspired by Ferrer and/or Almagro.

If Sharapova heard someone say "Ferrer and Almagro" she'd probably think they're talking about a Spanish law firm.

my sherona

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
are you guys kidding? Madrid Blue is Marias home blue. :nono

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
There are too many question marks about injury to make any good predictions. Are Li, Domi, and Halep healthy? If not, the door opens wider for the others.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
tented said:
GameSetAndMath said:
tented said:
rugged said:

If Sharapova heard someone say "Ferrer and Almagro" she'd probably think they're talking about a Spanish law firm.

Is that really a question. Why do you wish to see your favorite play a certain player. Answer: because it provides the entertainment you enjoy, and at the same time, allows the underdog to have another shot at redeeming herself. But you are correct about the rivalry ...one doesn't exist. As Pete Bodo said: It is the biggest non-rivalry in the tennis.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
Mutua Madrid tourney director Manolo Santana:

Question: In women’s tennis right now there is a clear dominance of Serena Williams, with three or four players such as Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova and Li Na attempting to come out of her shadow. Do you think will be the same in 2014?

Santana's Answer: Yes, I think so, because there’s always a very marked difference. These players can have their moments, but I don’t think anyone can defeat Williams at a Grand Slam, or any other important tournament for that matter, when she is at her best level. She is extremely potent and has enormous self-confidence. The American almost always beats Sharapova, Ni La and Azarenka, who are her closest rivals.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hope Serena plays some inspired tennis in Madrid. She is the person to beat, but so far, she has played very lackluster tennis.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will vote for Serena...although I agree with Sundaymorningguy's post.Hopefully Serena will play some inspired tennis in Madrid.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Poll will expire once main draw begins.

Qualifying rounds started, qualifying draw here:
http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2014/1038/QS.pdf

rubydo

Reactions
Kiu said:
Poll will expire once main draw begins.

Qualifying rounds started, qualifying draw here:
http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2014/1038/QS.pdf
So many question marks right now, so many variables. I am not a great fan of this tourney either, but why not put myself out on a limb and say if Li is healthy I will go with her as the winner. No chance of making a trade halfway through the tournament??!!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
I am still deciding myself ruby.

I want to see who fashinista votes for...
:)

I voted for Serena....hopefully she will play some inspired tennis in Madrid and defend her title

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
fashionista said:
Kiu said:

I voted for Serena....hopefully she will play some inspired tennis in Madrid and defend her title

Serena is obviously the default choice, picking her is the easy way....

I don't think she wants it bad enough, she is out of match practice too! Lost SC to a nobody!
One clay appearance for the 32 year old that she lost.

It'll be someone new, like the rest of year has been.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
tented said:
rugged said:

Do you think it'll go forever? Serena's streak.
Nothing is forever!
I hope they play 5 times this year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
fashionista said:
Kiu said:

Serena is obviously the default choice, picking her is the easy way....

I don't think she wants it bad enough, she is out of match practice too! Lost SC to a nobody!
One clay appearance for the 32 year old that she lost.

It'll be someone new, like the rest of year has been.

Well the court surface in Madrid suits Serena....she is going for a 3 peat in Madrid.In Serena's interview before this tournament she seemed refreshed,regrouped and hungry.Anyway we shall see.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well I dare to vote for Caroline - she'll be fresh and ready to fight for a lot of points - remember she has only 1 point to defend in both Madrid and Rome. So GO Caroline :)