Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caro

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hard to say so far given how wonky everyone has been playing. Will wait a bit to see how Madrid plays out.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Early it is.
But I want a lotta votes.

I picked Serena, here's the scenario, Maria beats Serena in Madrid and Serena returns the favor and beats Maria in Rome.

That would be a nice prelude to Paris, wouldn't it?

SingleBackhand

Club Member
Reactions
Historically Maria Sharapova has never won Madrid and I believe the semi finals are as far she's been able to reach. So the chances that she will win Madrid are not in her favor. She has however won Rome twice in consecutive years. Logic says that IF she should win either Madrid or Rome then it should be Rome. I think it will be a difficult task for Maria Sharapova to win Rome and the French Open or either one of them. The thing with Maria is that you never can tell what she is capable of. She also might well surprise us and win both Rome and the French Open or either one again in spite of Serena Williams

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Masha won't skip Rome! Serena might even though she shouldn't as she needs as much clay prep as she can get.

toshiroh

Reactions
I think Serena will do similar to last year.. play a few matches and then pull out. She's already guaranteed the #1 seed for RG, so Rome is extra really

toshiroh

Reactions
I honestly think Masha will three peat and defend Rome, bar Serena not playing or pulling out after a few matches.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know Rome plays a bit slower than Madrid and Roland Garros. Serena has a tough draw maybe Venus, Cibulkova and Li a couple of dangerous players to point out. However, Serena's first win on the red stuff in over 10 years has to do wonders for her confidence. Though, wins in Madrid and Rome will mean nothing if she can't win the big prize in Paris. I think Serena is gunning for it. She just has to maintain focus. I am going to say Serena doesn't win this one.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
if Serena withdraws...it will be anyone s tourney to win,

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm voting Masha on the basis Serena doesn't make the final. If Serena is on the other side of the net, then bets are off.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I kind of don't want Serena to win this one. If she wins this one, she definitely will go in the favorite at the French, and we all know what pressure at the French does to her. I know she is one of the favorites, but if she were able to win this she would be expected to bring the French home. I want her to go in relaxed.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
The question is does Serena withdraw or not? She can use the practice, but there is risk of injury every time a player steps on court. She is runnning out of chances to win FO. Tough decision for her. If she withdraws, Pova might grab the top ranking. (Not sure if this is true. Perhaps someone can post the latest ranking points). I doubt Serena will want to give that up to Pova. She is the best player on tour so it would be nice to see her win another French.

drm025

Club Member
Reactions
10sfan said:
The question is does Serena withdraw or not? She can use the practice, but there is risk of injury every time a player steps on court. She is runnning out of chances to win FO. Tough decision for her. If she withdraws, Pova might grab the top ranking. (Not sure if this is true. Perhaps someone can post the latest ranking points). I doubt Serena will want to give that up to Pova. She is the best player on tour so it would be nice to see her win another French.

Serena will keep the number 1 ranking even if she doesn't play because Sharapova is defending the title here.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Pova is defending so cannot add points. I understand that, but didn't Serena play a round or two last year? If she did, she will have to play this year or lose points in which case she can slip in the rankings.