What on Earth is going on in the world today? It's gone mad

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
I don't think anything is going nuclear just yet...

Precisely. The concept of MAD basically tells you this. If nuclear warfare didn't happen in our bipolar world 40 years ago, it won't happen now.

britbox said:
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
latest news is Russian forces have been given orders to attack any advance by Ukraine's military..:s and the Ukraine forces have just been put on 'combat alert'.

no one in the mainstream media has mentioned the word "nuclear" yet, or they have been told not to by the government in case people start freaking out.

I wouldn't worry about that JLLB - can't see anyone bringing nukes into play. Mutually Assured Destruction still applies. Sit back, relax, pull up a chair and watch a re-run of "Threads" to take your mind off things :)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AUYCnzmDJY[/video]

Excellent, excellent film! Watch The War Game, too.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
latest news is Russian forces have been given orders to attack any advance by Ukraine's military..:s and the Ukraine forces have just been put on 'combat alert'.

no one in the mainstream media has mentioned the word "nuclear" yet, or they have been told not to by the government in case people start freaking out.

I wouldn't worry about that JLLB - can't see anyone bringing nukes into play. Mutually Assured Destruction still applies. Sit back, relax, pull up a chair and watch a re-run of "Threads" to take your mind off things :)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AUYCnzmDJY[/video]

oh thank you old bean :rolleyes: i cannot watch 'threads' :emperor: on my own again, it freaked me out way too much..i watched it on my own when it was on tv in 1984, my parents didn't want to see it,

I watched 'the day after' (again)..the other day, I noticed that media quotes today/yesterday were saying stuff like "Russia has violated international law"..i heard that phrase in the day after too. :huh:

on a lighter note..i think in threads is a scene where you can see the tv and its got the final score going from 'grandstand' with blue capitals boxed in a black background, as a Newcastle fan back then I saw a 2-2 draw with someone in div2 (shrewsbury I think) :) feb/march 1984.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I see Georgian flags in the Ukranian protests...enemy of my enemy and so forth...can escalate things though.
Like others, I do not see nukes coming into play. That will be reserved for a situation in the Middle East I am afraid.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
For the want of a better term, "it's interesting" how different the postures of Russia and the West are on this escalating scenario in Ukraine. The west is all rhetorical and legalistic ("remember that the world is watching", Germany and Russia "would continue consultations in bilateral and multilateral formats to seek the normalisation of the situation"), and meanwhile Putin has his chest greased up and his team are on the move.

The west thinks some diplomatic finger wagging will scare him, and Putin is thinking the way depraved tyrants and thugs have always thought - with frightening force and action. And there's only one winner here, and it isn't appeasers, empty suits, and empty threats. While the west protests the way Father Ted and Dougal did with placards in Father Ted ("Easy now", and "Down with that sort of thing"), Ukraine is in total fear and disarray, and about to have a large part of its country annexed...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
With the "unwavering resolve" shown by the US and EU, Vlad could start pushing west and not slow down until he hits the New Jersey beaches in time for Memorial Day.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
meanwhile William Hague has flown to Kiev to try and make the situation worse. :dodgy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Putin laid down some conditions to Obama earlier on...

putin-obama-g8.jpg

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I see Georgian flags in the Ukranian protests...enemy of my enemy and so forth...can escalate things though.
Like others, I do not see nukes coming into play. That will be reserved for a situation in the Middle East I am afraid.

Murat, do you think that "religion" is the cause of the tensions in Ukraine?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:

In a nutshell, no. Ukraine has an interesting past and a diverse population of people that are divided in their approach as to where the country should be headed, east or west. The country has been a part of so many different influences from Ottoman, to Polish to Austro-Hungarian that to me, it always had an identity crisis. Stalin's purges were never forgotten by its people.

Of course there is the Russia side of things as well. They would not mind a small piece of the empire back.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
meanwhile William Hague has flown to Kiev to try and make the situation worse. :dodgy:

I think Putin would take more notice of Ronnie Corbett.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nooooo :mad: Russia announced if Ukraine do not give up Crimean peninsula by Tues morning (3am, GMT) they will launch an all out assault on them. :huh: :nono :emperor:

ukraine have said that they will never give it up. ummm wut ??..putin has gone silly. not the news the world was wanting to hear.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, it's moving too fast. Regardless of whatever "contact-groups" and surveys they're drumming up in the west, Russia has decided there's only one course to take. China have said they support Russia.

The pawns in the front line are in disarray - the queen is exposed!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:

I think Putin would take more notice of Ronnie Corbett.

Ronnie Corbett: And it's goodnight from me...

Putin: And it's goodnight from him!

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:

In a nutshell, no. Ukraine has an interesting past and a diverse population of people that are divided in their approach as to where the country should be headed, east or west. The country has been a part of so many different influences from Ottoman, to Polish to Austro-Hungarian that to me, it always had an identity crisis. Stalin's purges were never forgotten by its people.

Of course there is the Russia side of things as well. They would not mind a small piece of the empire back.

But dude, like, religion causes people to be, like, judgmental and stuff. And it makes people get, like, super-intense about things instead of just chillin out. When I get stoned, I see the world, like, really clear and I don't see what the big deal is about this religion stuff.

To me, whenever people get heated and into conflicts it's because of religion, so like, I'm sure that religion has something to do with the Ukraine. Know what I mean dude?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:

But dude, like, religion causes people to be, like, judgmental and stuff. And it makes people get, like, super-intense about things instead of just chillin out. When I get stoned, I see the world, like, really clear and I don't see what the big deal is about this religion stuff.

To me, whenever people get heated and into conflicts it's because of religion, so like, I'm sure that religion has something to do with the Ukraine. Know what I mean dude?

You sound like you just ingested some bad PCP...;)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
calitennis127 said:

You sound like you just ingested some bad PCP...;)

:celeb: Well played Murat.

That made me laugh.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
:puzzled a scary stand off between russia/Ukraine soldiers at an airbase in southern Ukraine earlier then...:s