What is with this ranking system

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
britbox said:
Some employee at ESPN must have done that considering the #32 ranking. Software doesn't make errors like that and losing the number 1 slot together with Serena appearing at #32 equates to two human errors... I don't buy it.

But why would a person do such a thing? His/her supervisor would know who did it, and reprimand him/her. What's there to gain?

Maybe just to be spiteful. People don't always do mean-spirited things out of gain, sometimes it's just the evil in them.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Calvy said:
tented said:
britbox said:
Some employee at ESPN must have done that considering the #32 ranking. Software doesn't make errors like that and losing the number 1 slot together with Serena appearing at #32 equates to two human errors... I don't buy it.

But why would a person do such a thing? His/her supervisor would know who did it, and reprimand him/her. What's there to gain?

Maybe just to be spiteful. People don't always do mean-spirited things out of gain, sometimes it's just the evil in them.

True, but how long do you think this person would keep their job after being found out? ESPN would never want to gain a reputation for having allowed this. Again, I see no point in purposely doing it, given the negative consequences.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The fact that they haven't fixed it yet after receiving an email from me kind of speaks volumes about their IT dept (they apparently don't have a functional QA requirement or this content would be checked/verified before it's published). It's been 2 days since the email was written. As an IT person myself, this particular problem is not something that takes a long time to fix.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:
tented said:
britbox said:

I agree, most times these things get direct upload from the source, in this case WTA.

I wonder where they get it from.

Kiu: Look at the bottom of the page:

*Rankings provided by the ATP
Last Updated: April 7, 2014

Why they would get them from the ATP is ?

I think someone is just throwing shade.

He knows only diehard tennis fans follow the

rankings closely and I don't imagine the big wigs at

ESPN check on these kinda stats very closely.

They expect their IT guys ( like the perp ) to take care

of these details.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Calvy said:
tented said:
britbox said:

Or it could be a simple reason, like someone did it to create controversy, which happens quite often in cyberspace.
Skipping the top seed and putting her in her sister's place is not really evil, it's kinda stupid but it does create controversy.

I am leaning towards britbox's opinion here, someone did it on purpose...
Direct uploads do not skip things.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
britbox said:

When they get caught, that person would claim incompetence and they will be forgiven.
However, I think it is certainly done by an employee mischievously.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Kiu said:
tented said:
britbox said:

I agree, most times these things get direct upload from the source, in this case WTA.

I wonder where they get it from.

Kiu: Look at the bottom of the page:

*Rankings provided by the ATP
Last Updated: April 7, 2014

Why they would get them from the ATP is ?

I think someone is just throwing shade.
They wouldn't get WTA stats from the ATP. That's sheer laziness that they aren't stating the WTA #'s are from the WTA.