What is art?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Communication is great. I mentioned I wanted to do both art appreciation & quilting but couldn't because they were both on at the same time & they rescheduled the art appreciation to the morning so I can do both.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz

Horsa

Reactions
Thank you very much. I'll carry on with that 1 which is what I found but doesn't appear to be very good & ask more questions from people who I'm working with while I'm working. I guess I just panicked & thought I can't do this though I've been told I can.
I judged that course too quickly as not very good & very boring except for the poems at the start of each section. I carried on with it & it's getting more & more useful & interesting. It got very boring when it mentioned digital storage of information methods which I already knew about & since then it's been getting interesting. I really think I can do this now.

Horsa

Reactions
It turns out that because I normally pick everything up straight away but I couldn't with archiving I made it out to be harder than what it was & said I can't do it when I can. It's not something you can learn quickly. Archiving is something that no matter how long you've been doing it there is always something else to learn about it & you've always got a lot to learn.

Horsa

Reactions
My next piece of writing is going to be an art piece & poem in 1. I'm going to do a watercolour painting of Haworth Moor & write a poem about the Bronte Sisters in the middle of it.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
I believe you are correct by saying Art is a difficult answer to determine because I feel it is different for each individual who set out to make Art. Art for each individual is an expression of themselves to how they perceive something. That is going to be different for each individual because when people look at Art they are looking at different angles and seeing different shadows as they draw, paint or even sculpt the piece they are doing. There is no piece of Art that is the same because of this. It is the individuality of it that I believe makes Art great. Of course there is also the many different styles of Art that are taught as well that make this different as well. So Art is way more complex then just a simple drawing or painting or a canvas or a sculptor. To me it is all about how the Artist perceives what they are making that makes the Art what it is.

Horsa

Reactions
I believe you are correct by saying Art is a difficult answer to determine because I feel it is different for each individual who set out to make Art. Art for each individual is an expression of themselves to how they perceive something. That is going to be different for each individual because when people look at Art they are looking at different angles and seeing different shadows as they draw, paint or even sculpt the piece they are doing. There is no piece of Art that is the same because of this. It is the individuality of it that I believe makes Art great. Of course there is also the many different styles of Art that are taught as well that make this different as well. So Art is way more complex then just a simple drawing or painting or a canvas or a sculptor. To me it is all about how the Artist perceives what they are making that makes the Art what it is.
It also depends on what the (I'll call it this in want of a better word) audience thinks of art. Their analysis & personal opinion of art affect what they think of the art-works in question. I agree with you.

Reactions: Double Bagel

Double Bagel

Masters Champion
Reactions
It also depends on what the (I'll call it this in want of a better word) audience thinks of art. Their analysis & personal opinion of art affect what they think of the art-works in question. I agree with you.
Exactly, it all comes down to interpretation.

Horsa

Reactions
I got told my hand-writing is like a piece of art today. Can hand-writing really be seen as art-work?

I only have a copper-plate signature except for the A because I don't like copper-plate Capital A's because if you don't make it big enough it can get confused with a small A so I use a decorative a. I used to do all my hand-writing in copper-plate but stopped it as not everyone knows Copper-plate hand-writing. I especially like Copper-plate capital C's & D's. The rest of my hand-writing is in foundational hand-writing with Roman Capitals as I used to have to use italics for quotes & couldn't do extended italics & didn't like uncial or half-uncial hand-writing. I love fancy writing though. My favourite fonts on the computer are Lucida Calligraphy & Lucida Hand-writing.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that because according to graphologists decorative hand-writing is adopted because people don't think they're good enough. Long cautionary strokes are supposed to mean that you think a lot before actually committing yourself to writing. If your writing leans too much to the right it's supposed to mean you're clingy. According to graphology, my hand-writing tells people I don't think I'm good enough, I think a lot before committing myself to writing, I'm creative & I'm musical. (I can only sing or song-write but other than that it's pretty accurate.

*Footnote: In case anyone doesn't know graphology is the science of hand-writing analysis.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Artwork loaded with symbolism in the Bank of America.

Three frescos.

frescos.jpg

Left Fresco

fresco0.jpg

Centre Fresco

fresco2.jpg

Right Fresco

fresco1.jpg

These works were completed in 1992. The symbolism is off the charts.

• Wow
Reactions: tented and Moxie

Horsa

Reactions

Horsa

Reactions
I've just been reading about old railway posters which reminded me of an art history class I did at work recently. It made a nice change from equine art, Celtic art, Roman art & cave art which I've seen a lot of recently.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Have any US posters visited the Georgia Guidestones?

Georgia_Guidestones_2014-03-18_01.jpg

Installed in 1980.

The guide being:
  1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
  2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
  3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
  4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
  5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
  6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
  7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
  8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
  9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
  10. Be not a cancer on the Earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
The client was anonymous. Going under the pseudonym RC Christian. Most observers are linking this to the Rose Cross and secret societies.

The guides are written in eight different languages.

The Population recommendation is a little chilling. We'd only need to lose 7.3 billion to achieve that figure.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Have any US posters visited the Georgia Guidestones?

Georgia_Guidestones_2014-03-18_01.jpg

Installed in 1980.

The guide being:
  1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
  2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
  3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
  4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
  5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
  6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
  7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
  8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
  9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
  10. Be not a cancer on the Earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
The client was anonymous. Going under the pseudonym RC Christian. Most observers are linking this to the Rose Cross and secret societies.

The guides are written in eight different languages.

The Population recommendation is a little chilling. We'd only need to lose 7.3 billion to achieve that figure.
OMG, Brittbox, you’ve solved the age old mystery of who built Stonehenge....

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
Now for some prehistoric art. This is the Uffington white horse. I loved it when I learnt about it just after learning about Stonehenge when I was in Middle School.
uffington white horse.jpg

Horsa

Reactions
Cave paintings

Lascaux

The lascaux cave painting.jpg

Niaulx

the niaulx cave painting..jpg

Altamira

the Altamira cave painting..jpg

Horsa

Reactions
I'm now going to share my favourite painting. It's Whistlejacket by my favourite artist George Stubbs.

Whistlejacket.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jelenafan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Today I went and saw an incredible art experience of Van Gogh's works...Van Gogh Alive .It is a powerful and vibrant symphony of light,colour and sound compels you to leave the world behind and immerse yourself in Van Gogh's paintings.It is the most visited multi-sensory experience in the world.It was to go to Melbourne but because of their 2nd lock down it came to Sydney.
It is a multi-sensory exhibiton involving larger than life projections of the Dutch artist's Post Impressionist masterpieces.
The Starry Night for example accompanied by a musicial score and the light projections to give you the sense your're walking into his paintings.They even had installations on the floor to look at and installations of his works covered the walls.It was COVID safe and timed with social distancing in place and security guards were there to make certain people adhered to the protocols.
If Van Gogh Alive happens to come into your part of the world I urge you to see and sense this wonderful exhibition!

Reactions: Moxie and tented

Horsa

Reactions
Today I went and saw an incredible art experience of Van Gogh's works...Van Gogh Alive .It is a powerful and vibrant symphony of light,colour and sound compels you to leave the world behind and immerse yourself in Van Gogh's paintings.It is the most visited multi-sensory experience in the world.It was to go to Melbourne but because of their 2nd lock down it came to Sydney.
It is a multi-sensory exhibiton involving larger than life projections of the Dutch artist's Post Impressionist masterpieces.
The Starry Night for example accompanied by a musicial score and the light projections to give you the sense your're walking into his paintings.They even had installations on the floor to look at and installations of his works covered the walls.It was COVID safe and timed with social distancing in place and security guards were there to make certain people adhered to the protocols.
If Van Gogh Alive happens to come into your part of the world I urge you to see and sense this wonderful exhibition!
That sounds amazing.

Talking about Van Gogh & music reminds me of this song.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer