US Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking of pounding away at Biden’s age, I just saw this:

While what you write is logical in terms of economic numbers, this stuff has little to no impact on the average American‘s day-to-day life. Meaning, what’s really on people’s mind is inflation, which hits everyone most tangibly, most immediately when buying groceries, for example.

I think Biden will win reelection. One-term Presidents are rare. I wonder if Trump could name the last US President before him who wasn’t reelected? (Kidding!)

it's powerful stuff for sure. But it's up to the pro-Biden super pacs to start doing the same against Trump. There'll be ample material as he does his rallies. I hear you re: the economy, but my point is that we're getting to the stage of the economic cycle where consumer satisfaction is likely to grow, as will wage growth. I think the timing of this works perfectly for Biden. The inflation thing is also being tamed. Prices aren't going to go down generally speaking but it's possible some of these soft commodities dip lower as the Fed is likely to keep rates where they are. Some even argue there's a risk they might need to hike again

Reactions: Fiero425 and tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Biden aced his State of the Union. Hit all of his talking points, and went after "my predecessor" with aggression, and SCOTUS aggressively, too. He also dealt with hecklers brilliantly. This was a man quick on his feet. More than the usual amount of ad-libbing.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Biden aced his State of the Union. Hit all of his talking points, and went after "my predecessor" with aggression, and SCOTUS aggressively, too. He also dealt with hecklers brilliantly. This was a man quick on his feet. More than the usual amount of ad-libbing.
no signs of dementia there! Damages the narrative. This is the problem the GOP has created for itself. They've created such a low bar, all he has to do is pass and the whole nonsense evaporates. Stupid!

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can see you are excited, Moxie.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I made those specific remarks for @Front242 mostly, who believes the "Joe is barely lucid" narrative. Did you watch? I thought it was a good speech.
there was a bit after the speech where he was chatting with Congressmen, and one of them congratulated him on proving once and for all that there's no cognitive impairment. And he responded wryly... 'I wish it was cognitive impairment'. I hope they clip that. Humor and an acknowledgement that it's just aging. Contrast that with the orange turd..

Reactions: Moxie

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
No signs of dementia there! Damages the narrative. This is the problem the GOP has created for itself. They've created such a low bar, all he has to do is pass and the whole nonsense evaporates. Stupid!

Republican IQ's been going down for years! The smarter ones are being run out of politics b/c they make too much sense & compromise! Those aren't part of the conservative DNA these days, but who approve of chaos over peaceful co-exitence now! Lying has taken over that party & it's become acceptabe amongst them; even the religious ones! It's more than a bit shameful to see them this way! Decades ago I could easily support & vote for a Republican! I wouldn't install one to manage the french fries at McDonald's these days! They are all retched individuals impossible to respect in the least! :face-with-head-bandage: :angry-face: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Federberg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
jeepers! I just watched Katie Britt. Gotta go and take a shower. And not for good reasons :D
I watched that mess live. I texted my friend after, who I know watched the SOTU, to asked if he'd seen it. He said, "Nope...you watched so I didn't have to. :face-with-tears-of-joy: "

The kindest assessment I heard was from Michael Steele and some other MOTR Republican who assured us that she's an intelligent woman and good legislator, but that she was "over-coached," and that the delivery was "unfortunate." I get the strategy of going with her...middle-class suburban mom, hoping that middle-class white women, who's vote they are looking to win over, would see themselves in her. Thus the kitchen setting. Aside from all the misguided delivery, the message was standard doom-and-gloom from the GOP. (Delivered with a big smile! So weird.) Since Trump first came down the escalator, I've never heard such campaigning on fear mongering and hatefulness, which seems to be all the GOP has anymore. That, and, as @Fiero425 points out above, flat-out lying.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
there was a bit after the speech where he was chatting with Congressmen, and one of them congratulated him on proving once and for all that there's no cognitive impairment. And he responded wryly... 'I wish it was cognitive impairment'. I hope they clip that. Humor and an acknowledgement that it's just aging. Contrast that with the orange turd..
Biden showed why he's had such a long, successful career as a politician. (I know some people think that's a bad word, but I respect a good politician, or anyone who is great at their job.) He worked the room on the way in, and on the way out. Rarely has a President stayed so long on the way out, (or never.) His speech was partisan, and a stump speech, but why not? The opponent has been decided, and can be spoken of in the SOTU address, because he IS the predecessor. It was full of policy points, and wonkiness. As you say, compare that with "the orange turd." I doubt he's ever gotten even close to the kind of weeds that Biden is happy to involve himself in. And another obvious contrast is his ability to make, and take, a joke. Particularly against himself.

I'm going to point out the completely classless Marjorie Taylor Greene, who wore a MAGA cap, and handed Biden a "sticker" or something with Laken Riley's name on it. She was in violation of house rules for wearing a campaign cap on the House floor. I believe she was asked to remove it, or leave, or face censure. She probably knows that Mike Johnson is too afraid of her to do anything. But when MTG shouted at Biden about Laken Riley, he held up the sticker and confronted her. I thought that was rather nimble.

Another Representative who decided to disrespect the President by not showing up was JD Vance. News flash to Rep. Vance...no one noticed or cared.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a bump Biden gets in the polls from this performance.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The reaction of the Fox hosts is priceless :face-with-tears-of-joy:

They're just plain demented a-#oles! Watching "The Five" lose it over Biden's performance as well! Jeanine Pirro needs her Bar Card taken away! Jessie Watters is the biggest tool on the show! Biden was a "doddering old man" before, now "he's hyped up on something! I want him to pee in a cup!" You can't win w/ these psychos! The lone liberal on the panel, Jessica Tarlov has to deal w/ these jerks over-talking her the entire time! The disrespect is unbelieveable, but I guess she'll take anything for the money! :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :angry-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:
Reactions: Federberg and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I'll thank you both for the clip and the tip on checking out "The Five." I have been wondering about Right-wing media reaction. Some nerve of Fox News to say that Biden provided no vision for his 2nd term. He actually did, quite a lot. And, as if Trump has one. Trump trades only in dystopian horror.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Biden showed why he's had such a long, successful career as a politician. (I know some people think that's a bad word, but I respect a good politician, or anyone who is great at their job.) He worked the room on the way in, and on the way out. Rarely has a President stayed so long on the way out, (or never.) His speech was partisan, and a stump speech, but why not? The opponent has been decided, and can be spoken of in the SOTU address, because he IS the predecessor. It was full of policy points, and wonkiness. As you say, compare that with "the orange turd." I doubt he's ever gotten even close to the kind of weeds that Biden is happy to involve himself in. And another obvious contrast is his ability to make, and take, a joke. Particularly against himself.

I'm going to point out the completely classless Marjorie Taylor Greene, who wore a MAGA cap, and handed Biden a "sticker" or something with Laken Riley's name on it. She was in violation of house rules for wearing a campaign cap on the House floor. I believe she was asked to remove it, or leave, or face censure. She probably knows that Mike Johnson is too afraid of her to do anything. But when MTG shouted at Biden about Laken Riley, he held up the sticker and confronted her. I thought that was rather nimble.

Another Representative who decided to disrespect the President by not showing up was JD Vance. News flash to Rep. Vance...no one noticed or cared.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a bump Biden gets in the polls from this performance.

The only thing more pathetic than the antics and asinine behavior of Republicans & conservatives is that Liberal Democrats are still losing to them! When I was a kid, I used to think the Dems gave "too much credit to the PEOPLE" to see thru the lies & misinformation while Republicans went the opposite way w/ a credo of "we can fool enough of the people" to succeed! I think they finally lost it after embarassment of Nixon, Ford losing out on 2nd term, & a peanut farmer sitting in a chair they thought they owned! Repub. & Cons. sold their souls to the Devil; namely the "Religious Right" for their unflinching loyalty even if the candidate was a rapist, fraud-ster, & insurrectionist! Congress had been owned by the Dems for as long as I can recall, but the Majority Leader was a Dem. for well over 40 years until '82 Sen./'94 House! It's gone back and forth w/ obvious success w/ the Dems, but as always, Republicans take advantage of the gullible and stupid to turn things around on its ear; hence huge Nat'l Debt increases when they're in charge! I heard Trump increased it by 34%! Blame it on Covid-19 I guess! Funny, Biden had great success w/ the budget, inflation, recession, & unemployment as the rightwing play down all the numbers while lying to their own children! :face-with-head-bandage: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :astonished-face: :angry-face:

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I made those specific remarks for @Front242 mostly, who believes the "Joe is barely lucid" narrative. Did you watch? I thought it was a good speech.
It's not a narrative, Moxie, it's a fact. I watched his state of the union speech and straight away though Adderall to myself and sure enough there's a lot of talk about this online. He was clearly on something that day. When it wore off at the end he couldn't remember how to exit.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

ok... how is this worse than Trump? One is just a politician with a passing relationship with the truth. The other is a sociopath who lies even when the truth would be sufficient. One was asked to hand back classified documents and did so immediately. The other resisted and hid stuff. If you want to say they're both as bad as each other (factually incorrect) it would be acceptable. I'm not even fighting the Biden case as much as I'm trying to point out to you that Trump is at least as bad.

Let me ask the question that I don't think I've actually asked. Forget about Biden... do you think that Trump is fully functioning?