US Open Day 9: Tuesday, September 2

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Well, give Bautista Agut a little credit. There's a reason he's in a QF.

He isn't...and God willing he never will be.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
While I had not watched RBA play before, I was worried little bit based on what I hear from
other posters.

Don't get me wrong.

I remember once Fed lost a match due to boredom when playing against Simon in
Canada in 2008. Fed was so bored in that match he could not bring himself to perform,
at least that was the impression I got.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Takes it 6-4, he needs to stop messing around with coming to net on garbage, just get the ball to this guy's backhand and blast him off the court.

People will crucify me for this, but I am pretty sure he was practicing net play. And I think it is a good idea.

He won't do it this way against a Berdych, for example, and against Monfils, who plays so far away, it is a hell of a weapon.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
mrzz said:
DarthFed said:
Takes it 6-4, he needs to stop messing around with coming to net on garbage, just get the ball to this guy's backhand and blast him off the court.

People will crucify me for this, but I am pretty sure he was practicing net play. And I think it is a good idea.

He won't do it this way against a Berdych, for example, and against Monfils, who plays so far away, it is a hell of a weapon.

Good point and the post was made right after he almost blew the 5-1 advantage in the 1st set. After going up a break early in the 2nd it was clear he wouldn't have much of a challenge. But the other thought is to make sure he gets off the court as soon as possible. Tougher matches lie ahead and every extra set he plays could take its toll for the following match if he wins.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
mrzz said:
DarthFed said:

I think you're right, and agree it was a good idea.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Good job, Roger. The thing that makes Berdych so tough for Roger is he has an uncanny read of Roger's 2nd serve, much the same as Roger had with Roddick's first serve. If Roger hits a lot of good first serves and better still aces, he'll win but hitting a lot of 2nd serves will be his undoing. Of course Cilic may win yet. And also Roger has more trouble against big hitters these days than he did in his prime which all in all makes Berdych a tough opponent for him.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
^ Add in the mental boost Berd will have knowing he can beat Fed, especially here.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
La Monf / Youngderer is intriguing, La Monf plays well for the moment but who knows with him ?? He's so unpredictable

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Good job, Roger. The thing that makes Berdych so tough for Roger is he has an uncanny read of Roger's 2nd serve, much the same as Roger had with Roddick's first serve. If Roger hits a lot of good first serves and better still aces, he'll win but hitting a lot of 2nd serves will be his undoing. Of course Cilic may win yet. And also Roger has more trouble against big hitters these days than he did in his prime which all in all makes Berdych a tough opponent for him.

I definitely think Cilic can win. Berdych's form hasn't been great in recent times. To be honest I'm more afraid of Le Monf at the moment! Although Roger may have watched him struggling physically and will hopefully use that to his advantage

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=metTlZwaIX4[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW4siYKllg4[/video]

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I'm liking Thiem more and more.

From the ATP's article on Berdych/Thiem:

Thiem, the youngest player in the Top 50 of the Emirates ATP Rankings, celebrates his 21st birthday tomorrow (3 September). He has compiled a 20-18 record that includes a runner-up finish in Kitzbuehel (l. to Goffin). He has made the second highest jump in rankings since the end of the 2013 season (to 25 August): 76 positions from No. 121 to No. 45.

"There is not much to say," said the top Austrian about his loss, through Facebook. "The result says everything. [Berdych] was simply the much better player, gave me no chance. I wanted to put him under pressure, but he put me under pressure instead. He played extremely strong. And I wasn't good enough to keep pace.

"Berdych showed me the difference between a top 50 and a top ten player. Service, return, ground strokes, footwork, speed, consistency. I have to improve all that if I want to come where he has been for many years now."

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
Front242 said:

I definitely think Cilic can win. Berdych's form hasn't been great in recent times. To be honest I'm more afraid of Le Monf at the moment! Although Roger may have watched him struggling physically and will hopefully use that to his advantage

Likewise I think Cilic can/may win. It was one way traffic between them at Wimbledon and Cilic's serve and all round game have much improved.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
tented said:
I'm liking Thiem more and more.

From the ATP's article on Berdych/Thiem:

Thiem, the youngest player in the Top 50 of the Emirates ATP Rankings, celebrates his 21st birthday tomorrow (3 September). He has compiled a 20-18 record that includes a runner-up finish in Kitzbuehel (l. to Goffin). He has made the second highest jump in rankings since the end of the 2013 season (to 25 August): 76 positions from No. 121 to No. 45.

"There is not much to say," said the top Austrian about his loss, through Facebook. "The result says everything. [Berdych] was simply the much better player, gave me no chance. I wanted to put him under pressure, but he put me under pressure instead. He played extremely strong. And I wasn't good enough to keep pace.

"Berdych showed me the difference between a top 50 and a top ten player. Service, return, ground strokes, footwork, speed, consistency. I have to improve all that if I want to come where he has been for many years now."

He seems a good lad, doesn't he.

He's in pole position to be my next guy when Andy hangs up his racket.