Tracking the Race to London - 2014 WTF

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
You are right that Murray's points obtained in Valencia will replace the 90 pointer
he got in Rotterdam, if it is better than 90.

Note that he is playing in Valencia this year and not in Basel as you are saying in
your post. It is not a big deal, just correcting an obvious silly error.

Finally, I don't understand why ATP shows his last year's 0 points from Basel
as a countable tournament.
It should be moved to the non-countable tournament
section. If it shows as 0 as a penalty to Murray (as he signed up last year, but
did not play in Basel), then the 250 that he got in Vienna must go to the
non-countable tournament section. Either way, the way they are depicting
Murray's race points does not make sense, at least to me.

And the answer is.....(drum roll).... There is only one list for rankings breakdown. When you click on a player's name in either 2014 ATP ranking or 2014 Race, you are directed to the player's page, then click on ranking break down, and it is the same for both. Had me confused for awhile too until I checked several players with the same results, only one breakdown. We then have to do our own math for 2014 Race to arrive at the points listed ie 4 majors, 8 mandatory 1000's, 6 best of 4 500's + 2 others. Hope that helps :)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
According to SI.com, if Raonic loses to Federer tomorrow, the race is over; Kei, Berdych and Ferrer qualify instantly independent of whether they win or lose their own matches.

:please:

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kubot and Lindestedt lost their doubles match today and so they cannot increase their
point count anymore. While they have qualified via inside route, they cannot change the
status of their qualification from inside route to regular route any more.

This is bad news for Jack Sock and Vasek Popsicle as they cannot get into WTF.
They are stuck at position 10. Even though, they won Wimbledon they cannot use
the inside route, as only one pair is allowed to use the inside route. Kubot and
Lindestedt, the AO winners, who are at position 9 have used it.

If stuck at #10, Sock & Popsicle will get the inside track as 1st alternate, GS Winners. See ATP Ranking FAQ. Maybe get a match or 2, but great experience just to be there, hitting with the guys etc. Grigor's more likely to go hit it with Pova...:laydownlaughing

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to Andy who played a perfect match vs Grigor yesterday. Hope he can win Bercy + Masters

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Bounce It !! said:
GameSetAndMath said:
You are right that Murray's points obtained in Valencia will replace the 90 pointer
he got in Rotterdam, if it is better than 90.

Note that he is playing in Valencia this year and not in Basel as you are saying in
your post. It is not a big deal, just correcting an obvious silly error.

Finally, I don't understand why ATP shows his last year's 0 points from Basel
as a countable tournament.
It should be moved to the non-countable tournament
section. If it shows as 0 as a penalty to Murray (as he signed up last year, but
did not play in Basel), then the 250 that he got in Vienna must go to the
non-countable tournament section. Either way, the way they are depicting
Murray's race points does not make sense, at least to me.

And the answer is.....(drum roll).... There is only one list for rankings breakdown. When you click on a player's name in either 2014 ATP ranking or 2014 Race, you are directed to the player's page, then click on ranking break down, and it is the same for both. Had me confused for awhile too until I checked several players with the same results, only one breakdown. We then have to do our own math for 2014 Race to arrive at the points listed ie 4 majors, 8 mandatory 1000's, 6 best of 4 500's + 2 others. Hope that helps :)

Thanks. one small correction. It is 6 best other results, not necessarily 4 500s + 2 best other.
It used to be that way before. Then they changed it. As long as players honor their commitment
to play in 4 ATP 500 events, they said they will take the best 6 results (in both race and rankings)
independent of what events they are from.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, the field is set, with two days to spare. We have,

Three Veterans: Fed, Novak and Andy

Two Experienced: Berdych and Stan

Three Freshers: Kei, the first Asian-born to make it, Milos, the first Canadian-born to make it
and Cilic, the first banned player to make it.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^^ Milos was born in Montenegro, not Canada.

It is always good to have new faces at WTF. I could do without Cilic though!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
So, the field is set, with two days to spare. We have,

Three Veterans: Fed, Novak and Andy

Two Experienced: Berdych and Stan

Three Freshers: Kei, the first Asian-born to make it, Milos, the first Canadian-born to make it
and Cilic, the first banned player to make it.

Such a banner moment :cover

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It should have been Agassi, really... :cover

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Grigor is disappointed that he did not make it and now he says he wil not go to London as a second alternate . He is being stupid. He should go there, soak in the environment (which will come in handy later on) and get some free money for standing by. With Cilic injured, Stan claiming illness, Milos claiming virus infection, Kei claiming leg and back injury and so many other players finishing at the last moment playing multiple weeks in a row and thus being tired, he might even get a chance to play a match.

Next in line is Tsonga and he won't go as he is preparing for DCF. Next is Gulbis and he
is injured. So, the mantle will fall on Deliciano Lopez and I like that. He may do some
serve and volley there if he gets a chance to play.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

Agassi never took anything performance enhancing, only performance dehancing stuff like meth. He was doing your buddy Pete a favor.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
That is so annoying. He's being a child.

If this is truly the reason, he will never even make the wtf in the future with that mindset.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Kieran said:

Agassi never took anything performance enhancing, only performance dehancing stuff like meth. He was doing your buddy Pete a favor.

The jury is still out on whether or not he did anything performance enhancing. A lot of things out there point at the possibility that he did but we'll never know. McEnroe admitted he was taking steroids for 6 years but claimed he was unaware of it lol. I posted this before but here it goes again. My guess is many players of the past took stuff.

"For six years I was unaware I was being given a form of steroid of the legal kind they used to give horses until they decided it was too strong even for horses."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/mcenroe-i-was-given-steroids-but-did-not-know-572791.html

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Kieran said:

Pete didn't need favours to handle Dre. :)

The irritating thing about it all is, apart from the scandal of how it was handled, is that I doubt Agassi would have won the FO if he'd done time for taking banned substances. The chap was brittle, but getting away with it spurred him on. He dodged a huge bullet there... :nono

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Denisovich said:
Kieran said:

The irritating thing about it all is, apart from the scandal of how it was handled, is that I doubt Agassi would have won the FO if he'd done time for taking banned substances. The chap was brittle, but getting away with it spurred him on. He dodged a huge bullet there... :nono

Ah yes the 1999 French open, sweet victory sweet memories.

Really distinguished himself from Pete there, being an all court player ;).

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Denisovich said:
Kieran said:

The jury is still out on whether or not he did anything performance enhancing. A lot of things out there point at the possibility that he did but we'll never know. McEnroe admitted he was taking steroids for 6 years but claimed he was unaware of it lol. I posted this before but here it goes again. My guess is many players of the past took stuff.

"For six years I was unaware I was being given a form of steroid of the legal kind they used to give horses until they decided it was too strong even for horses."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/mcenroe-i-was-given-steroids-but-did-not-know-572791.html

Lol @ McEnroe .

I think pre 2000 everyone was doing something in pretty much any professional sport that required physical ability. Football (soccer), cycling, tennis, athletics, swimming you name it. Wouldn't be surprised if old Pete was one of them.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Well, that's at least one all time great who was on steroids and actually admitted being on them for 6 whole years lol! And I'd say there are many more. Says a lot about the sport imo and sadly not something I'm happy about but the lack of proper testing is the fault. Also says a lot about about "roid rage" and it clearly is a side effect of steroids as it's not like he wasn't known to have a temper!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Kieran said:
Denisovich said:
Kieran said:

Ah yes the 1999 French open, sweet victory sweet memories.

Really distinguished himself from Pete there, being an all court player ;).

Ah, you were an Agassi fan! :ras: ;)

I wonder how far back we need to go before you and I like the same player? Mats? Borg?

Ellsworth Vines? :plot