[Jesse Pentecost] Tracking all those streaks

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jesse's latest Blog - The Shanghai Master, Novak Djokovic and more...

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/blogs/jesse-pentecost/tracking-streaks/

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: [Pentecost] Tracking all those streaks

Good article. I've long held this view he expressed:

We are living through an era in which records both grand and minor tumble every other week. It turns out there’s such a thing as milestone fatigue.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Great article, Jesse! Both interesting and amusing. I take the point about stat/milestone fatigue. In the age of google, we and the commentators can compare the minutiae of previous records and milestones, combing over them endlessly. The point is taken that we can throw them around now, but some really won't add up to a hill of beans in the future.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Kieran said:
Good article. I've long held this view he expressed:

We are living through an era in which records both grand and minor tumble every other week. It turns out there’s such a thing as milestone fatigue.

Moxie629 said:
Great article, Jesse! Both interesting and amusing. I take the point about stat/milestone fatigue. In the age of google, we and the commentators can compare the minutiae of previous records and milestones, combing over them endlessly. The point is taken that we can throw them around now, but some really won't add up to a hill of beans in the future.

This part made me laugh:

"Whoever they are, I doubt they’ll stand still while I explain that Djokovic went unbeaten throughout his career while facing left-handed Canadians in Paraguay."

That's precisely the kind of borderline inappreciable stat commentators come up with during a match. It leads to two questions: Who is sitting out there thinking up these streaks? And how many spreadsheets do they have?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Yea, tennis is becoming like baseball with all the statistics that bend the mind from what it should be doing--enjoying the beauty of the sport.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

shawnbm said:
Yea, tennis is becoming like baseball with all the statistics that bend the mind from what it should be doing--enjoying the beauty of the sport.

Hey shawnbm, your's is the 4th post in the last 5 days to have the words "tennis", "baseball" and "doing", in that order. The previous record for such posts in a 5 day period was 4. So you tied the record.

Now that I have used them in this post, that makes 5. So we broke the record!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

TM

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

What exactly is wrong with streaks commentators mentioned? I don't think it was that meaningless to hear someone won 20 matches in one country or even more usual 8 in row against particular top 10 player. Perhaps the only "wrong" thing was that neither record was Nadal's.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Mastoor said:
What exactly is wrong with streaks commentators mentioned? I don't think it was that meaningless to hear someone won 20 matches in one country or even more usual 8 in row against particular top 10 player. Perhaps the only "wrong" thing was that neither record was Nadal's.

Come on bro, you know better. Half these stats are just useless "Too much time in ones hands" type of stats. Hey , I will give you one you might like: Most matches won after spending time in a weird egg shaped thing WHILE owning the most donkey cheese in the whole wide world.

You have one guess.;)

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Mastoor said:

There's nothing "wrong" with them, per se, and it has nothing to do with any player. The whole point is simply how ridiculous some of them are, hence the joke "Djokovic went unbeaten throughout his career while facing left-handed Canadians in Paraguay."

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Mastoor said:
. Perhaps the only "wrong" thing was that neither record was Nadal's.

Agreed, and I'm sure Novak feels the same...He'd love to exchange those for Nadal's records!