Top 10 Greatest Players of All Time! [Open Era] - VIDEO

RazOls

In the Locker Room
Reactions
Hi! I just compiled and uploaded a video of 10 Greatest Tennis Players of All Time, in the Open Era.

What are your thoughts? Who is your number?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5j1koOHPts

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nice list and video. Trying to figure out the "greatest" players--or worse, player--is very tricky, mainly because its really subjective how we weigh peak vs. career. If we emphasize peak then a player like Borg ranks higher; if we emphasize career then players like Lendl and Connors had greater careers. I personally look for a balance of both.

Anyhow, I like your list overall. I don't like the fact that Ken Rosewall isn't on it, but that's only if we include Ken's whole career. If we do, then he belongs in the top 5, imo. But the same goes for Laver. If we only include his Open Era career he probably doesn't even deserve to be in the top 10. Yes, 1969 was great but the rest of his Open Era career was merely good.

I'd also rank McEnroe over Agassi. The gap between their career accomplishments is much smaller than the gap between their peak. McEnroe was a much better player in his prime than Agassi (relative to competition), and also was #1 for longer and with more titles.

I'm also not sure if I like Rafa over Pete. If Rafa wins another Slam or two then yes, but Rafa never had a period of sustained dominance like Sampras did and his ups and downs take away from his overall legacy. In a couple more years Novak will likely surpass both.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyhow, my top 10 of the Open Era - if we include the full careers of Laver and Rosewall - is as follows:

1. Federer
2. Laver
3. Rosewall
4. Sampras
5. Nadal
6. Djokovic
7. Borg
8. Lendl
9. Connors
10. McEnroe

Five more...
11. Agassi