Tom Brady’s Four-Game Suspension Is Upheld by Roger Goodell

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

- http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/sports/football/tom-bradys-four-game-suspension-is-upheld.html?_r=0 -

N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell upheld the four-game suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, one of the league’s biggest stars, for his role in the deflation of footballs used in the A.F.C. Championship game in January.

The league said in a 20-page statement Tuesday that its decision was partly based on Brady’s ordering the destruction of potential evidence, a cellphone that he had used during the week of the game and afterward. The destruction of the phone, which occurred shortly before Brady met with the league-appointed investigator, was not revealed by Brady until his appeal hearing in June.

The investigator’s report, commissioned by the league and released on May 11, found “substantial and credible evidence” that Brady was “at least generally aware” that two Patriots employees tampered with game balls, prompting the N.F.L. to suspend him for four regular-season games without pay.

A deflated football is said to be easier to grip, especially in the cold and wet conditions that the Patriots faced at home against the Indianapolis Colts on Jan. 18.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
RE: Tom Brady’s Four-Game Suspension Is Upheld by Roger Goodell

The Golden child, 2 X MVP, 4 X SB winner, 3 X SB MVP, and 10 X Pro-Bowler is out for the first 5 weeks of the season; week 5 being a "bye!" He might have talked his way out of it with a little contrition, but he couldn't do it; actually exacerbating the situation by destroying cell phone! That was the last straw and the games lost couldn't even be lowered to 2 which I supported! He's on the outs and the NFLPA will totally embarrass themselves by going to court! Total brain-dead idiots; all of them! :nono :cover :angel: :dodgy:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

That new information in regards to Brady destroying his phone is quite damning. In light of that I doubt this goes to court as the NFLPA/Brady have been threatening. I thought they might be bluffing...now that it's revealed he went to those lengths to hide his text messages and emails...I'm pretty sure it was a bluff.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Completely deserved. Glad Goodell grew a pair. :clap

Now let's see their schedule for the first 4 weeks and see if they go 0for.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

With that cell phone thing coming to light, i'm surprised they didn't tack on 12 more games to the suspension. Am I nuts or is Brady getting off lightly here?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Kirijax said:
With that cell phone thing coming to light, i'm surprised they didn't tack on 12 more games to the suspension. Am I nuts or is Brady getting off lightly here?

I think so! I have this feeling Goodell gave Brady a chance; "you come clean and drop all this, I'll make it 2 games! If you push it, you and your team will suffer with the original 4!" Unfortunately Brady's shown his arrogance that "I can get away with anything" and it bit him in that gorgeous arse of his! :p :nono :angel: :dodgy:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

kskate2 said:
Completely deserved. Glad Goodell grew a pair. :clap

Now let's see their schedule for the first 4 weeks and see if they go 0for.

Belichick is the straw that stirs that drink. They will be fine without Brady, probably 2-2 at least.

And when you read between the lines of this whole thing I'd imagine that Brady destroying his phone strongly hints that others in the Patriots' organization knew about the balls being deflated (and I'm not talking about the waterboy here). Any idiot in Brady's position would know that destroying the phone is basically an admission of guilt and he did it anyways. Innocent people do not destroy their phones (ask Aaron Hernandez) and this is someone who is likely very conscious of his legacy and someone well aware that he'd be in trouble for not cooperating. I'd imagine that there were texts or emails to other people, aside from the 2 equipment bozos, that he wanted to hide. Hoodie always has run a tight ship, it should surprise no one if he knew all this was taking place.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Apparently two court cases are already filed one by NFL in NY and another by PA in MN. Both are about Godell being able to review his own decision.

According to Tom, he regularly destroys his phone once in 5 months or so. On the surface it may seem laughable, but it is not. Celebrities often have their cell phone hacked and conversations listened in to by tabloids and paparazzies and so it is not uncommon for these people to change their cell phones on a regular basis. Although the timing (on the day he was supposed to meet with the investigators) looks suspicious.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

GameSetAndMath said:
Apparently two court cases are already filed one by NFL in NY and another by PA in MN. Both are about Godell being able to review his own decision.

According to Tom, he regularly destroys his phone once in 5 months or so. On the surface it may seem laughable, but it is not. Celebrities often have their cell phone hacked and conversations listened in to by tabloids and paparazzies and so it is not uncommon for these people to change their cell phones on a regular basis. Although the timing (on the day he was supposed to meet with the investigators) looks suspicious.

Well according to my BS meter, by destroying evidence on the day he was to speak to the LEAGUE, it was obviously a consciousness of guilt IMO! A criminal would have been arrested and put in jail for "obstruction!" I can't tell you how disappointed I am in this guy! He was a fan favorite even with all that was going on behind the scenes with his marriage, having a kid with an actress, and evidence of "Spy-Gate!" He continued on his merry way with adoring fans and no real taint on his person until now! He blew it thinking he could stay clean and unfortunately for him, the evidence was overwhelming and he's sacrificed a lot of it with this drama! He could have squashed it but he really thought he could overcome it somehow! With today's social media, his name is mud after admitting to destroying that cell phone! :eyepop :nono :angel: :dodgy:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:

Let's say Tom actually has that odd routine (destroying the phone every whatever period of time), there's no way a lawyer worth a damn would not strongly advise him to refrain from doing so in this particular case because it would be pretty incriminating. The fact that Brady did it anyway says a lot.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Let's say Tom actually has that odd routine (destroying the phone every whatever period of time), there's no way a lawyer worth a damn would not strongly advise him to refrain from doing so in this particular case because it would be pretty incriminating. The fact that Brady did it anyway says a lot.

I hear that Tom is being advise by one of the best sports lawyers in the world. This is the same guy that represented the former Jet Freeman McNeil who was suing the league due to its free agent policy.The one loophole here is that there hasn't been any presidence in regarding the size of the football (psi range).Now the league has a rule that the balls have to be checked prior and during certain the game. Brady's reputation and part of his legacy is on the line.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I hear that Tom is being advise by one of the best sports lawyers in the world. This is the same guy that represented the former Jet Freeman McNeil who was suing the league due to its free agent policy.The one loophole here is that there hasn't been any presidence in regarding the size of the football (psi range).Now the league has a rule that the balls have to be checked prior and during certain the game. Brady's reputation and part of his legacy is on the line.

A-Rod needs to scoot over and make some room from Brady. He has company now.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Apparently this lawyer of his is 4-0 vs. the Empire in court proceedings. He is going to have to work a lot of magic to win this case. The NFL's CBA clearly states that players are supposed to cooperate with any investigation and that's what Brady is being suspended for here (not just that he "probably" was involved in the balls getting deflated). Brady's reputation and legacy are already damaged for good. For anyone with common sense there is no doubt he was behind the deflating footballs (likely has happened for YEARS) and has now been caught trying to cover it up.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

^Does this mean that he's not going to be favourably compared to Montana in future?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Apparently this lawyer of his is 4-0 vs. the Empire in court proceedings. He is going to have to work a lot of magic to win this case. The NFL's CBA clearly states that players are supposed to cooperate with any investigation and that's what Brady is being suspended for here (not just that he "probably" was involved in the balls getting deflated). Brady's reputation and legacy are already damaged for good. For anyone with common sense there is no doubt he was behind the deflating footballs (likely has happened for YEARS) and has now been caught trying to cover it up.
Completely agree. Finally been caught w/ his pants down. A shame really when you think about it. Was all this extra curricular stuff necessary? Isn't he good enough w/o all the theatrics and cheating?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

federberg said:
^Does this mean that he's not going to be favourably compared to Montana in future?

Between this and what has already been a dark cloud over the Patriots for years following Spygate (and the more serious allegation of taping the other team's practices which fell through) I'd say no. Regardless I will give Brady and especially Belichick their due, they are all time greats as a QB and coach but there will, or at least should be, a "yeah but" when we talk about their titles. Some people lose sight of the fact that this has likely been going on for many years. The Pats didn't wake up the day of the AFC title game and decide to cheat against a badly overmatched Colts team at home.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
federberg said:

Between this and what has already been a dark cloud over the Patriots for years following Spygate (and the more serious allegation of taping the other team's practices which fell through) I'd say no. Regardless I will give Brady and especially Belichick their due, they are all time greats as a QB and coach but there will, or at least should be, a "yeah but" when we talk about their titles. Some people lose sight of the fact that this has likely been going on for many years. The Pats didn't wake up the day of the AFC title game and decide to cheat against a badly overmatched Colts team at home.

It just makes my boy Eli look even better! :clap

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Your boy Eli is a mega clown who just happens to be insanely clutch. I still don't know how he transforms himself into a great QB in January/February after being mediocre in the regular season.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Your boy Eli is a mega clown who just happens to be insanely clutch. I still don't know how he transforms himself into a great QB in January/February after being mediocre in the regular season.

Me neither! I've never understood it. All I hope for is that we can somehow get into the playoff then let Eli zone! :D

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

kskate2 said:
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:

Completely agree. Finally been been caught w/ his pants down. A shame really when you think about it. Was all this extra curricular stuff necessary? Isn't he good enough w/o all the theatrics and cheating?

It is even more embarrassing to get caught with pants down while deflated. :snicker:cover