Three Italians banned and fined for match-fixing

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Italian tennis player Marco Cecchinato has been banned for 18 months and fined 40,000 euros (£33,447) for match-fixing, the Italian tennis federation has announced.

bzjSsWiqaE45fCbqaGGJOjl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

The 23-year-old, currently ranked 143 in the world, is one of three Italians to be banned, along with Riccardo Accardi and Antonio Campo.

Full Story at Reuters: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-tennis-matchfixing-cecchinato-idUKKCN1001QR

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The story seems to inspire more questions than answers. How did they figure these things out? Is there an informant? And Luca Vanni was fined €300 and not banned? So what did he do? You can practically get a fine like that for speeding in the US, so that seems not even a slap on the wrist, if he's implicated at all.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
The story seems to inspire more questions than answers. How did they figure these things out? Is there an informant? And Luca Vanni was fined €300 and not banned? So what did he do? You can practically get a fine like that for speeding in the US, so that seems not even a slap on the wrist, if he's implicated at all.

They are very strange with sentencing indeed. If you ever find out what actually happened let us know please.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Mastoor: I'll see if I can find anything in the Italian press. Meantime, I didn't know where to put this, and it's related to gambling. Today, watching Anderson and Wawrinka, Fowler and P-Mac said that Anderson had mentioned that when he lost a match at Wimbledon to Istomin, after leading 2 sets to love, he received death threats from people who said they'd lost money on the match. P-Mac said that, sadly, it's not uncommon. Is it naive to be as shocked as I am? Anderson said he didn't fear for his safety, but that it's unpleasant. To say the least!

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
It happens all the time, funny enough to low ranked players as well. I wish ITF bans gambling on tennis matches, but some people say gambling houses are major sponsor of tennis. I wish atp/wta come forward with figures. Also some top players matches seem funny to me.