The Steffi Graf Fan Zone

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Way back when... Steffi Graf wins the Golden Slam in 1988.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/wayb...cle_a0e9ccbe-7298-5e27-9d41-ebf9d4c1857d.html

Is this the greatest single feat in the history of Women's tennis?

based on its own merits -- i think it is. it is difficult enough to simply maintain 7 matches winning for one major...even more so a career slam spread separately..even more so in a single year span ..and naturally quite more so with the olympics on top of it.

i miss steffi very much -

but now she is a mother - which she said after she gave birth and started to bring up her baby --

"i all my life was so focused on tennis and being the best i could be...it became my own little world -- and i enjoyed the HIGH of performing in front of people even if i know people didn't see it that way...

and i NEVER ever imagined that anything could surpass that feeling..until i became a mother....nothing is more complete than being a mother".

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Way back when... Steffi Graf wins the Golden Slam in 1988.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/wayb...cle_a0e9ccbe-7298-5e27-9d41-ebf9d4c1857d.html

Is this the greatest single feat in the history of Women's tennis?

being that she has always been a shy person -- and very private by most accounts...she said after her retirement...

"now i hope i can be away from the limelight a bit more -- one of my dreams has always been to be able to go anywhere where no one knows me and i can be as ordinary as anyone else".

she also humorously said:

"one of the big changes will be that i can now eat as much as i want of my favorite: chocolate -- but also not have to eat so much during meals -- i have always been a small eater and hated having to eat to keep UP my weight for playing".

some of the things she also said:

"anyone that says they don't practice much to be so good - isn't telling you the truth...you can't be as successful as has to be without working very hard".

on how she trained:

"i never liked those training people do in gym. all the weight training..i don't approve of having to slave myself some more to time in the gym ...my training consisted of running on the beach and practice and matches, that's it.''

on why she seldom said anything about the tennis:

'MY mother always told me --:'if you don't have much good to say about anything -- say nothing".

''in the beginning of my career -- i tried very hard to please everyone....and then i found out it was impossible -- so i stopped trying".

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

she always likes BLACK on her clothes..

i know for a fact that black is her favorite color (i got this from online friends from long ago in the late 1990's when internet started and we often e mailed and shared news - including private stuff -- about steffi because they were in touch with her personally -- on AOL , hehe)

i still have video copy i was given of steffi -- that was just for family and friends her brother made -- like a fmaily album of sorts - called ''a private time".

i hope it's still playable since it's that old VCR tapes...i think i have 2 or 3 of them, hehe...showing how she practices, or plays hide-and seek and teasing her office workers and sticking her tonque out to tease them...or her driving with her brother while talking about their trip to visit her dad in jail in those bad years and her literally crying while driving and getting all angry and hurt "how could he do this? if he was in trouble and had a hard time managing and things were too much to handle why didn't he ask for help? we could have asked the government for guidance and to correct things -- i am so disappointed at dad!"..

or how she LOOOOVED baby-sitting her brother's new child whenever she was home...

even being with her mom - up all night between wimbledon matches while desperately trying to cure or relieve her severe sinus and cold problem so she could breathe and sleep by hving their rented apartment kitchen all STEAMED with steffi lying down with hot towel all over her...lol..

whiel steffi worried about her next opponent -- KIMIKO DATE -- saying

:"ma -- you know how good Kimiko is -- she's amazing and it will be so difficult tomorrow ..'' with her sinus all clogged up trying to get some sleep...

but no WADA DISPENSATIONS...JUST OLD FASHIONED MOTHER'S CARE...

i have all that. hehe...shhh...

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

i have a curious question on youtube. britbox..

AFTER these videos -- say the agassi video above -- youtube shows you what?

mine shows stuff on dutertephilippines, russian jet fighters , travelogues and political things...
what about others?

it must be part of their ''follow" like ads , lol.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol. Tennis and political stuff.

Google who own Youtube will tailor their results and recommendations on what they think you are interested in.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

sigh -- thanks for this Britbox...

i honestly have AVOIDED watching any more steffi for years because it would only make me MISS her so much all over again...

but it's great to see her nowadays - speak and know she's really happy , content and really -- just as she was.

i remember one thing she said - after learning how to be a famous player in the beginning -- - that when asked why she seldom said anything about anyone that was 'controversial" ;;

"my mother taught me one thing -- if you don't have anything really good to say about anyone -- just be silent".

and when steffi says "

"serena -- she's been really unbelievable - it's so good to see her do it...i'm so happy for her and so excited for her to break the record"

steffi means it. as much as she does with FAMILY.

"I sent so many years in tennis -- centre court -- to perform my best in front of people -- though many won't believe it -- was the greatest high for me...centre court became my own little world ..

''i never thought at the time that ANYTHING could ever match it..
''the contentment -- until i became a mother...
"being a mother is indeed the greatest thing that could ever happen ".

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Google who own Youtube will tailor their results and recommendations on what they think you are interested in.

ok -- so obviously we each are seeing different ''follow-ups" -

taht's all i was curious about -- what these youtube google do, lol. as i suspected.

but that's ok -- it's what it is. haha. after all there are billions of us and that's probably the point of such things -- to ''suggest" things you might be intgerested in - based on what they obviously ''know" abotu us.

but then -- that's us too - what we do is what gives them that power too - because

in a sense -- WE asked for it, ironically,

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

see? similar stuff basically -- but for sure it's like that -- all ''tailor-made"

it's just part of our reality after all and probably just comes with the whole thing. i also get lots of my favorites like comedies: Keeping up appearances...mary tyler moore..star trek -- even if youtube doesn't show them FULL EPISODES -- damn them.lol.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ok -- so obviously we each are seeing different ''follow-ups" -

taht's all i was curious about -- what these youtube google do, lol. as i suspected.

but that's ok -- it's what it is. haha. after all there are billions of us and that's probably the point of such things -- to ''suggest" things you might be intgerested in - based on what they obviously ''know" abotu us.

but then -- that's us too - what we do is what gives them that power too - because

in a sense -- WE asked for it, ironically,

If you do a Google search then the results are tailored to you personally. That's not necessarily always a good thing because it's been claimed the results on things like politics will reinforce your opinion rather than challenging it.