The Movie Reel

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I just saw "I'm So Excited!," the new Almodóvar film. Very funny, raunchy, and politically pointed at the current state of affairs in Spain. Any Almodóvar fans out there?

I saw a lot of his earlier films in Spain with Carmen Maura, Antonio Banderas and Victoria Abril. I liked his films--they were quite different from what else was out there in the Eighties and early Nineties. I will have to check it out. Hope you are well, Moxie.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
I watched World War Z tonight. Rating: 7/10

Good film, quite well acted and I like the genre. I did come out feeling that it wasn't a patch on 28 Days Later though - which is probably my favourite movie of that genre.
it's funny, for such an inherently American genre, i think it's the brits who succeeded at the revival - 28 Days Later definitely sets the standard for earnest and intense. it's one of the few that makes sense as well. and, i kid you not, Shaun Of The Dead to me is the other great, the standard for the rest - for nostalgia and fun. ironically i think 'Shaun' was much more in tune with the classic Romero flicks than even Romero's later work itself, right down to the criticism of consumerism.

in other news, i still haven't gotten over how they botched I Am Legend. so much potential. but in that version, no matter what they tried to do at the end, the title doesn't even make any sense. none at all.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Shaun of the Dead is classic! I'm keen for World War Z, for good summer fun. (Also liked 28 Days Later.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Moxie629 said:
I just saw "I'm So Excited!," the new Almodóvar film. Very funny, raunchy, and politically pointed at the current state of affairs in Spain. Any Almodóvar fans out there?

I saw a lot of his earlier films in Spain with Carmen Maura, Antonio Banderas and Victoria Abril. I liked his films--they were quite different from what else was out there in the Eighties and early Nineties. I will have to check it out. Hope you are well, Moxie.

Hi, Shawn! I would check out some of his later ones, like "Talk to Her," and "Volver." They go beyond the "camp" of the early years.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought that George Clooney was pretty convincing in the "American". He plays a coldhearted hitman who gets exiled to Italy but falls in love with a local prostitute. (I know what you are thinking, ole George probably got what he deserved). Its a pretty good movie without a lot of dialougue. This movie is more of a romantic thriller and definitely not Pretty Woman although his love interest is a million times more attractive than Julia Roberts could have ever dreamed. Check this one out if you want to see George get his kill and "freak" on. :clap

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Watched a great documentary on Netflix the other evening: Bobby Fischer Against the World.

Chap was both a genius and a nutjob...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Watched a great documentary on Netflix the other evening: Bobby Fischer Against the World.

I saw that. It is a good documentary, and yes, he was crazy and brilliant. I never realized how bizarre his life was.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

I saw that. It is a good documentary, and yes, he was crazy and brilliant. I never realized how bizarre his life was.

Finished his days as a racist, conspiracy theory nutter. Very odd film. He disappeared handsome and strong and returned bitter and demented. The definitive genius/madman divide in this guy. A pity, really...

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
funny that Bobby Fischer should come up. has anybody read the "Endgame" biography about him? it's been by my bed for weeks now, still haven't gotten around to start reading it.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopNAI8Pefg[/video]Favorite movie speeches, or moments? Here is one . Even though I am the furthest thing from a "hawk", I find Nicholson is just so powerful here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopNAI8Pefg

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There are too many to name--some from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; Cinema Paradiso, The Godfather and Godfather Part II; To Kill A Mockingbird, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Magnum Force, Unforgiven, The Exorcist, Chinatown, A Few Good Men, Cook Hand Luke, the original Cape Fear, Ben Hur, Casablanca, Carmen and so many more. It would take too long to outline all the scenes, but many are timeless.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Caw, I watched a rubbish flick this week. Cool Blond Sharks, or whatever that Samuel Jackson baloney was, super-intelligent sharks running amok on a bunch of archetypes in an experimental science facility. Really woeful stuff, not even so bad it's funny, you know?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Caw, I watched a rubbish flick this week. Cool Blond Sharks, or whatever that Samuel Jackson baloney was, super-intelligent sharks running amok on a bunch of archetypes in an experimental science facility. Really woeful stuff, not even so bad it's funny, you know?

:laydownlaughing I'll admit to watching this one, too. Aside from the eye candy of Thomas Jane and Saffron Burrows, it is painfully bad.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
tented said:
Kieran said:

:laydownlaughing I'll admit to watching this one, too. Aside from the eye candy of Thomas Jane and Saffron Burrows, it is painfully bad.

The scene where Burrows undresses to put the wetsuit under her feet on the table to avoid shock...I just think of studio executives, sitting around a table , trying to come up with a way to get her naked in the movie...:laydownlaughing

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
but it has LL Cool J! deepest, bluest.. is it bad that i still knew that chorus?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
but it has LL Cool J! deepest, bluest.. is it bad that i still knew that chorus?

LL Cool J! That's the fella. Boy, that fillum was bad! :nono :p

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopNAI8Pefg[/video]Favorite movie speeches, or moments? Here is one . Even though I am the furthest thing from a "hawk", I find Nicholson is just so powerful here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopNAI8Pefg

Agreed, Nicholson stole the show with that segment, quite an achievement with a fairly small role and a big name cast.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBBWUZfgRiw

I am trying something here (don't know if you all can see this). This is one of my favorite movie scenes from Cool Hand Luke. Strother Martin was great as the warden.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
While I dearly love Cool Hand Luke, and Nicholson in "A Few Good Men," I must spare a moment for "Sharknado" which played last night on Syfy. The best/worst schlock movie I've seen in decades. Non-stop bad movie hilarity. :laydownlaughing