The MMA/UFC thread...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Any MMA fans here?

I must say, as a longtime fan of the sport, I'm not thrilled with the UFC lately, in terms of business decisions, PR, match-making and what have you.

In any case, any favorite fighters, fights, moments? Anybody caught the show last weekend?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm a fan but not a fan. What I mean, is that I don't really follow it or have a favourite fighter but when I happen to watch it on TV (which is pretty random) I love it. It's something I've meant to follow a lot more closely for a long time but never got round to it.

Could you recommend any websites/monthly publications?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
I'm a fan but not a fan. What I mean, is that I don't really follow it or have a favourite fighter but when I happen to watch it on TV (which is pretty random) I love it. It's something I've meant to follow a lot more closely for a long time but never got round to it.

Could you recommend any websites/monthly publications?

MMAFighting.com MMAJunkie.com and Sherdog.com are the places to frequent.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks - I'll start checking them out.

On your other point, what's pissing you off about UFC in relation to your original points (business decisions, PR, match-making)?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If you're unfamiliar with some of the top fighters, here's a good place to start. Highlights of the greatest fighter to ever live, Anderson Silva:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II50R9Ci2rM

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here's a hilarious video of Forrest Griffin (former light heavyweight champion) talking about his experience when he fought Silva:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoC08UarV5k

Some profanity so be warned.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I remember seeing images of Silva's leg break - looked nasty. What do you think of Chris Weidman?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
I remember seeing images of Silva's leg break - looked nasty. What do you think of Chris Weidman?

Yeah Silva's leg break was depressing in all sorts of ways. Weidman is mega talented and fights with remarkable maturity for someone his age. Most will tell you that coming from a wrestling background is optimal for MMA, and while I think it differs from one fighter to the next, with Weidman, it's certainly true. He's a great athlete, has turned into a great all around grappler, and most impressively, understands distance better than most (which is still most MMA fighters' Achilles heel). It's a shame both of his victories over Silva took place under unusual circumstances (not sure if you saw their first fight last July) and he's not getting enough respect.

However, the kid really has a murderer's row lined-up. As if facing Silva back-to-back wasn't enough (though he's done admirably well), he faces Vitor Belfort next (devastating striker, but tends to fold when the going gets tough), and most likely, Lyoto Machida after (who I think is a terrible match-up for him). If he goes through them successfully, he already becomes an all-time great, which is insane at his age.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Thanks - I'll start checking them out.

On your other point, what's pissing you off about UFC in relation to your original points (business decisions, PR, match-making)?

I'll try to be brief because there is a lot to touch on.

The UFC culture flat out stinks. Each week there's a fighter saying something stupid on twitter (homophobic, sexist, etc...) and the UFC still does not know how to deal with these issues in the required professional manner. It doesn't help that the man sitting at the helm (Dana White), despite doing so much for the sport, is a piece of garbage, like all promoters. He can't control his emotions and has been known to throw his fighters under the bus for the most minor inconveniences, whether they too place inside and outside the cage.

Business wise, the real problem they have now out is that some of their top PPV draws are out. Brock Lesnar retired a couple of years ago, Anderson Silva's future is in doubt after his gruesome leg break, and their ultimate cash cow after Lesnar, Georges St-Pierre, took "an extended leave" (which many speculate is a subtle way to say "retirement") a couple of months ago. They're completely unable to properly market their other stars/champions, despite having some breathtaking talents at their disposal. As a result, some huge fights are not getting the attention they deserve due to the UFC sticking to their generic worn out formula of marketing the fights. Also, their FOX deal, while highly beneficial, has been slightly disappointing, and they've so far been unable to use such a big platform to its maximum potential.

The match-making issues were mainly last year. The UFC had a disappointing year on PPV in 2012 by their standards -- they still dominated the market mind you, with the exception of the biggest boxing fights (ie Mayweather, Manny...the UFC can't touch those), but the average buy-rates were down. So they panicked and threw together title fights with some undeserving challengers (Nick Diaz, Chael Sonnen) just to make a quick buck. It worked, as Diaz's fight with Georges St-Pierre did huge business and Sonnen did good numbers with Jones, but the reality is we all knew those fights wouldn't be remotely competitive and that both GSP and Jones would run through their respective challengers. Worse yet, both Diaz and Sonnen were coming off losses and had no momentum. As fans, we're generally treated to guys like GSP and Jones no more than twice per year, so I hate to see wasted fights on them with BS challengers.

This year, they went back to meritocracy. However, they're still putting on way too many shows per month, so the quality of some of the cards is a bit down.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Was a huge fan of UFC when I lived at home years ago but haven't had any of the channels they broadcast on for years and Sky Sports costs a ridiculous amount here. Was a big fan of Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture and back when he was actually decent, Ken Shamrock as well. He's been a disgrace for years though. Fedor Emelianenko was an incredible fighter too. Politician now. Crazy Russians.

I hadn't even heard about Anderson Silva's leg break so I had to watch there. Man, that looked horrific :( He was an awesome fighter. Wonder can he recover from that and come back. Man :/

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyone catch the fights last night? I might be the only one in the world who enjoys Lyoto Machida.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Still tons of fights I've got to watch. Man, missed so many over the years. My bro just let me know this is one soon. Two awesome fighters although they're both pushing on so I've no idea how well they're fighting these days.

Check this out https://www.facebook.com/GLORYSportsInternationalOfficial

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Would be a stretch to say I am a fan, but I am a big Joe Rogan, and have been enjoying his podcasts with fighters, and have been thinking about starting to pay attention. Kron Gracie was on the podcast recently, and he was very interesting. I also watched that documentary Choke about Rickson Gracie. I might try to start following, but it's tough as I don't have a tv, and watch most sports on my computer.