The Book Shelf

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/the-sports-gene-inside-the/9781591845119-item.html?ikwid=epstein&ikwsec=Books&gcs_requestid=0COCJ7v3IyrgCFcbj5wodDRkAAA

I am very interested in reading this when it comes out.

Do you know the author and that's why you are promoting it here? Will you be getting part of the proceeds?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
special700 said:
1972Murat said:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/the-sports-gene-inside-the/9781591845119-item.html?ikwid=epstein&ikwsec=Books&gcs_requestid=0COCJ7v3IyrgCFcbj5wodDRkAAA

Do you know the author and that's why you are promoting it here? Will you be getting part of the proceeds?

If it is not a joke, I will try to answer. This is a book forum, we recommend books to each other and since I am an athlete and I play tennis, this book peeked my interest. I am not familiar with the author and no dice with the proceeds either.

E

EnriqueIG8

I'm currently reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Which sport biographies have you guys read?
Mine;

Rafael Nadal Rafa
Roger Federer Quest for Perfection
Andre Agassi Open
Zlatan Ibrahimovic Me, Zlatan
Josep Guardiola Pep

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
EnriqueIG8 said:

Mine;

Rafael Nadal Rafa
Andre Agassi Open
Josep Guardiola Pep

I enjoyed Veronica Decides to Die by Coelho, Enrique, you ever read that one?

Sport biographies I read:

Agassi (excellent)
Sampras (Fair)
McEnroe (Disappointing)
Sugar Ray Leonard autobiography (Very good)

E

EnriqueIG8

Kieran said:
EnriqueIG8 said:

Mine;

Rafael Nadal Rafa
Andre Agassi Open
Josep Guardiola Pep

I enjoyed Veronica Decides to Die by Coelho, Enrique, you ever read that one?

Sport biographies I read:

Agassi (excellent)
Sampras (Fair)
McEnroe (Disappointing)
Sugar Ray Leonard autobiography (Very good)

Have you read more Coelho's books? My next one will probably be At the River Piedra I saw down and wept. Is Veronica decides to die good? Have never read that one before.

I thought Agassi's bio was excellent as well, Fed's one was also excellent but Rafa's was piss poor.

I loved how Andre thought Pete was a cheapo.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
special700 said:
1972Murat said:

If it is not a joke, I will try to answer. This is a book forum, we recommend books to each other and since I am an athlete and I play tennis, this book peeked my interest. I am not familiar with the author and no dice with the proceeds either.

Actually, that one sounds interesting, Murat, esp. for those of us with so much interest in sports.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Moxie629 said:
1972Murat said:
special700 said:
1972Murat said:

Actually, that one sounds interesting, Murat, esp. for those of us with so much interest in sports.

Just bought it. Let me get into it a bit and I will share what I think about it.:)

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Moxie629 said:
1972Murat said:
special700 said:
1972Murat said:

I am hooked from the first chapter, and I hope the rest is this intriguing...So far it is very well written and even though it is very scientific, it is very understandable and filled with personal experience. Concepts like "chunking" are very interesting. Also the story of the female soft ball pitcher (forgot her name) and how guys like Pujols or Bonds just could not hit her balls is just amazing.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm reading The Butcher Boy - what a psycho! About a third in and I love it. Strange odd little fellow of a book...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
I'm reading The Butcher Boy - what a psycho! About a third in and I love it. Strange odd little fellow of a book...

Good to know. I was curious about that one.

Our blogger Arienna Lee recently cited Jorge Luis Borges in a blog post, and I ran across this quote from the great Argentinian writer:

"Let others brag about the pages they've written. I'm proud of the ones that I've read."

Nice.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Arienna is an exceptional blogger. She mixes so many things in and gives her view such colour and flavour. Wit, too.

Butcher Boy was excellent. Wouldn't want to meet a kid like that in real life. The writing style was intense and frenetic and all from the perspective of the psychopathic youngster. It's funny as hell, too. Only slightly doesn't become a truly great book because it's strength is the thing that holds it back, as well: being all from the kid's side, it has no other view and becomes one-dimensional. There's no respite from the madness. That sounds okay in theory but I would have liked another angle on things too...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Started reading Doctor Sleep from Stephen King. Story of the little boy Dan from the Shining, all grown up, alcoholic like the father ( Jack Nicholson was awesome)...I have always loved King books for what they are, and this one, as sequels go, is darn good so far. Creepy...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tomorrow I will receive a belated birthday present from a dear friend and collegue--American Caesar: General Douglas MacArthur (or so I have been told). I am very much looking forward to commencing this work. I could lose the entire weekend in a book like that.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I just finished reading Novak's book, Serve to Win. I did not buy the book for nutritional advice, since I have been sold on the idea that nothing good can come from eating wheat and gluten long time ago. I just wanted insight into the man's thinking. I enjoyed some parts, but was surprised by others. Some parts were downright weird. A couple of examples:

He says when he first met the doctor who told him he might have food issues, he made him extend his right arm out and put the left on his stomach. Then he exerted pressure on the extended right arm. It was solid and he said that is how it should be, Then, he told him to extend the arm again, but this time hold a slice of bread in his left hand and put it on his stomach. When pressure was exerted this time, his right arm was considerably weaker ! What? Apperently this was called “kinesiological arm testing and it has long been used as a diagnostic tool by natural healers ! That was a bit weird for my taste...There is one more though, about how crazy he is about positive thinking:

You have two glasses of water, from the same source, and to one, you send positive thinking, bless it, be nice to it etc, and the other you swear at it, send negativity, and lo and behold, a few days later, the one blessed is still crystal clear whereas the abused glass of water has a green tint to it ! What???

Anyways, I liked the bits about his childhood, growing up, and I liked the bits about how disciplined he is about his diet and his training.

Interesting read.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I am almost through the first Game of Thrones book. It is excellent and I've already bought the 2nd one for my Kindle. The show is through the first half of book 3 so I figure I will read up until then. I am not the type who wants to know what is going to happen on the show. That would ruin it for me.

Aside from that I am reading poker books lately. Trying to finally become good at Texas Hold'Em. I am above average but that's not good enough to make serious money online.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought I would give some insider news. Ray Arsenault, runner up for the pulitzer prize for his book Freedom Riders (history), is working on a biography of Arthur Ashe. He is a top notch academic historian, who also really knows how to write, so he should find some great stuff.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
I thought I would give some insider news. Ray Arsenault, runner up for the pulitzer prize for his book Freedom Riders (history), is working on a biography of Arthur Ashe. He is a top notch academic historian, who also really knows how to write, so he should find some great stuff.

Thanks for the tip. Do you know when it's going to be released?

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Riotbeard said:

Thanks for the tip. Do you know when it's going to be released?

No idea. I haven't talked to him in a while (he is one of the few super-huge names in the field) I know, but he has been working on it off and on for close to five years, and has a book contract. I found someplaces saying it was going to come out in 2012 (obviously not true), and another saying 2013 (unlikely as it is not up on amazon or the publisher website). I texted a friend, I will post an update when I hear something.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The goal is to have the release coincide with the 2015 USO.