The BEATLES Appreciation Topic

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
for Beatles purists this carefully and well researched video highlights the differences on their stereo versus mono masters.

I

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, awesome find.

'What Goes On' was of one of John Lennon's earliest compositions and originally written for his pre-Beatles group, The Quarrymen. On this excerpt from the unreleased 1963 demo acetate, Lennon sings lead to acoustic guitar, backed by Paul McCartney on harmony. The recording reveals Lennon's original lyrics to the first verse with the familiar 'What goes on...' hook. The recording also contains a second verse which too has different/unpublished lyrics. This demo recording has never been released and the original tape is presumed lost. However the song appeared in a different style with re-written verses on The Beatles' 1965 album 'Rubber Soul'.

here is that 1965 second re-written version with Ringo singing lead:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I'm sleeping over at my Sister's tonight. We're watching

Has anyone seen it? If so, what do you think of it.

I'll share my opinion of it when I come back.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Horsa

Reactions
I realised that I said I'd share my opinion of 8 days a week when I got back from my Sister's but I'd been having internet issues & had to help give a presentation on archiving on Wednesday. It went well, now I can relax a bit as the only work I've got a dead-line for is to knit a scarf for Xmas. Anyway, what I thought about 8 days a week. It was about the Beatles touring years. I didn't expect it to talk about the assassination of J.F.K. or the Vietnam war but it did. It also showed the segregation of white people & coloured people which was around at the time. I disagree with racism anyway but I thought that it was even worse in a country where the natives were originally coloured, didn't believe in owning land as they were nomadic & believed the land was for everyone to share & belonged to not 1 person but everyone, they went around following the buffalo which they used every single part of for every single thing they needed in life except the heart of course which they buried thinking that the buffalo would go to the happy hunting-ground in the sky where they would also go when they died if they were good & then they got killed & their land taken off them because some white people came & decided they wanted their land & fought them for it. Anyway back to the Beatles. I laughed when they were talking about their part in the band & John came in, in the end & instead of saying "I'm John & I'm lead-singer" he said "I'm John & I'm better guitar". A lot of good songs were sung & played as well as a couple I don't really care for. On the whole I found it interesting, learnt a few things, had a laugh & a good sing-along.

Now for some music.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I got the Deluxe Edition of Abbey Road (no, that’s not me).

As you would expect from The Beatles, the design and packaging is beautiful. The remastered album on the Blu-Ray disc is fresh and revealing. Gilles Martin has found sounds I’d never heard before on each of the remasters (Sgt. Pepper, the White Album, Abbey Road).

There’s a difference, though, with this title: since Abbey Road was originally recorded so immaculately, this remaster isn’t as revelatory as the others, especially the White Album. On that one, it was almost like hearing the songs for the first time; on this one, it’s more like you’re hearing a polished version of what was already a diamond.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
favorite song on the album ? Something. Least fav song - I Want You (She's so Heavy).

tented

Administrator
Reactions
favorite song on the album ? Something. Least fav song - I Want You (She's so Heavy).

You’re not alone, as I recently found out after posting it in the Music Box thread. Personally, I like it. My least favorite on Abbey Road — Maxwell’s Silver Hammer. Favorite - Here Comes the Sun.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I realised that I said I'd share my opinion of 8 days a week when I got back from my Sister's but I'd been having internet issues & had to help give a presentation on archiving on Wednesday. It went well, now I can relax a bit as the only work I've got a dead-line for is to knit a scarf for Xmas. Anyway, what I thought about 8 days a week. It was about the Beatles touring years. I didn't expect it to talk about the assassination of J.F.K. or the Vietnam war but it did. It also showed the segregation of white people & coloured people which was around at the time. I disagree with racism anyway but I thought that it was even worse in a country where the natives were originally coloured, didn't believe in owning land as they were nomadic & believed the land was for everyone to share & belonged to not 1 person but everyone, they went around following the buffalo which they used every single part of for every single thing they needed in life except the heart of course which they buried thinking that the buffalo would go to the happy hunting-ground in the sky where they would also go when they died if they were good & then they got killed & their land taken off them because some white people came & decided they wanted their land & fought them for it. Anyway back to the Beatles. I laughed when they were talking about their part in the band & John came in, in the end & instead of saying "I'm John & I'm lead-singer" he said "I'm John & I'm better guitar". A lot of good songs were sung & played as well as a couple I don't really care for. On the whole I found it interesting, learnt a few things, had a laugh & a good sing-along.

Now for some music.

yeah the Ron HOWARD made EIGHT DAYS A WEEK - TOURING YEARS doc is one of the best ever made, on any major artist.

Horsa

Reactions
You’re not alone, as I recently found out after posting it in the Music Box thread. Personally, I like it. My least favorite on Abbey Road — Maxwell’s Silver Hammer. Favorite - Here Comes the Sun.
I love

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Reactions
yeah the Ron HOWARD made EIGHT DAYS A WEEK - TOURING YEARS doc is one of the best ever made, on any major artist.
It is brilliant. I just wish he'd have made it into a complete Beatles story from beginning to end.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
that was already covered with the ANTHOLOGY parts 1/2/3 tv series some 22 years ago...

Horsa

Reactions
that was already covered with the ANTHOLOGY parts 1/2/3 tv series some 22 years ago...
I was busy with homework & revision for G.C.S.E.'s & drama rehearsals (as drama was 1 of the subjects I took) at that time so didn't get chance to watch it & didn't even know it was on.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
hot on the heels of abbey road, is news that in november will see a limited edition of the fab four original 22 singles.

THE BEATLES: THE SINGLES COLLECTION
news

NEW LIMITED EDITION COLLECTION OF SEVEN-INCH SINGLES CUT FROM THE MASTER TAPES

We are proud to announce the release of this collectible box set presenting 46 tracks on 23 7-inch vinyl singles, in faithfully reproduced international picture sleeves, accompanied by a 40-page booklet with photos, ephemera, and detailed essays by Beatles historian Kevin Howlett.

These singles, plus an exclusive new double A-side single for the mid-1990s-issued tracks “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love,” are newly remastered from their original master tapes and cut for vinyl at Abbey Road Studios for a new limited edition boxed set.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Abbey road has just reached number 1 over in Belguim but for most other countries such as the UK
drops down but only to #6 . Total UK sales just over 52k with worldwide sales approaching 227k. UK 52k, US 111k, Japan/Australia 37k and various Europe 28k. It reached #1 in Holland, Scotland & Spain a couple of weeks ago and #2 In Australia. I believe it went at least Top 3 in most other countries around the same time.

It has set a UK chart record as the album with the longest time between reaching Number 1 on the Official Chart, at 49 years and 252 days. Its initial 17-week run at the top came to end on January 31st 1970.