Tennis players balance body image

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
i saw him on CNN he looked like a fool,I think its a publicity stunt for him.He probably wants a job with any of the Republican candidates...this situation he created creates buzz and people are now paying attention...the horrible part is he chose to tarnish Serena just to get attention.
Why was Roger spared the doping rumors when he was winning everything or Joko who is winning everything...yes there are racial undertones where Serena is concerned.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
i saw him on CNN he looked like a fool,I think its a publicity stunt for him.He probably wants a job with any of the Republican candidates...this situation he created creates buzz and people are now paying attention...the horrible part is he chose to tarnish Serena just to get attention.
Why was Roger spared the doping rumors when he was winning everything or Joko who is winning everything...yes there are racial undertones where Serena is concerned.

Because last I heard Roger hasn't won 3 slams at 33 going on 34 and in with a chance of a calendar slam which is incredibly difficult in one's prime, let alone at nearly 34. It is quite eyebrow raising in fairness and no there are not racial undertones. The issue is her dominance at her age and he's simply questioning it and nothing else. People who care to bring race into it have issues 'cos he said nothing, nada, zilch about this. He's questioning the downright against the odds performance of someone who could easily be retired now at her age, (many players have already long retired well before 33) and the fact that she's winning almost everything in sight. And btw there are doping rumours about ALL dominant players, not just Serena. For now that's all they are, but it's hardly only about Serena. Some of her fans here think everyone is against her and get way too defensive and say it's all racism. That's complete nonsense.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Actually perhaps Front has a point. From the admittedly little I've read, there was no specific mention of race. Perhaps I was hasty to accuse him of racism. In no way do I agree with what Frum said, but it's too simplistic to label his accusation as racist.

I am not convinced that her physique is anything more than genetics, nor am I convinced that her performances look PED enhanced. With modern sports fitness, the increasing success of older players and the fact that women's tennis is just best of 3, there simply isn't enough to jump to that conclusion.

I'll admit that some of her injuries could be construed as suspicious. Argh! I don't know what to think these days! :cover

I simply don't watch the WTA closely enough to form my own conclusions

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
tossip said:

Because last I heard Roger hasn't won 3 slams at 33 going on 34 and in with a chance of a calendar slam which is incredibly difficult in one's prime, let alone at nearly 34. It is quite eyebrow raising in fairness and no there are not racial undertones. The issue is her dominance at her age and he's simply questioning it and nothing else. People who care to bring race into it have issues 'cos he said nothing, nada, zilch about this. He's questioning the downright against the odds performance of someone who could easily be retired now at her age, (many players have already long retired well before 33) and the fact that she's winning almost everything in sight. And btw there are doping rumours about ALL dominant players, not just Serena. For now that's all they are, but it's hardly only about Serena. Some of her fans here think everyone is against her and get way too defensive and say it's all racism. That's complete nonsense.
If Roger was not playing Joko he would have won,he beat Andy Murray a younger guy...reached the final of a slam at 33yrs.He looks just as good as when he was winning everytime.
There has always been controversy around Serena generated by the media and other players.Even when she was younger the media has always insinuated that she was doping.I remember just before Olympics 2004 she was 23yrs and she didnt go to the Olympics and the media alleged that she was scared of testing positive at the Olympics they didnt consider that she had lost her sister the previous year and was depressed...you know Roger was always protected by the media and we know why..yes there are racial overtones and we know in America they dont want to see this kind of success from a minority especially a woman and will try to bring her down anyway they can.
Serena has always played sparringly over the years...
just look at Stosur and compare her to Serena and tell me who is more cut....she gets a pass for obvious reasons...:popcorn

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
tossip said:

From reading your post you are insinuating that Serena is juicing...Your subtlety has not gone un-notice. I guess you do not think Serena can work her butt off to achieve her goals. It's ok for novak and Fed to win majors on their hardwork alone because they are white, but for Serena it's a no,no. Yes we get defensive because people like you are trying to damage her character without any proof at all and it's not right.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
^Actually perhaps Front has a point. From the admittedly little I've read, there was no specific mention of race. Perhaps I was hasty to accuse him of racism. In no way do I agree with what Frum said, but it's too simplistic to label his accusation as racist.

I am not convinced that her physique is anything more than genetics, nor am I convinced that her performances look PED enhanced. With modern sports fitness, the increasing success of older players and the fact that women's tennis is just best of 3, there simply isn't enough to jump to that conclusion.

I'll admit that some of her injuries could be construed as suspicious. Argh! I don't know what to think these days! :cover

Please explain what injuries are construed as suspicious.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
federberg said:

But yet here injuries are suspicious. Your ass should be sued.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
tossip said:

There are two big differences between Serena's and Roger's situation though.
1) The top of the womens game is (apart from Serena) comparitively weak at the moment. They can all play some great ball, but they can't do it on a consistent basis. Hardly a month goes by without this or that one getting injured or going through a slump. You can't count on them to be there at the business end of majors.
2) The difference between the best of five and the best of three sets formats. If the men played best of three I bet that Roger would have won more than one major in the last five years. And if the women would play best of five Serena would after almost twenty years of that have much less gass left in the tank than she has now.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Front242 said:
tossip said:

If Roger was not playing Joko he would have won,he beat Andy Murray a younger guy...reached the final of a slam at 33yrs.He looks just as good as when he was winning everytime.
There has always been controversy around Serena generated by the media and other players.Even when she was younger the media has always insinuated that she was doping.I remember just before Olympics 2004 she was 23yrs and she didnt go to the Olympics and the media alleged that she was scared of testing positive at the Olympics they didnt consider that she had lost her sister the previous year and was depressed...you know Roger was always protected by the media and we know why..yes there are racial overtones and we know in America they dont want to see this kind of success from a minority especially a woman and will try to bring her down anyway they can.
just look at Stosur and compare her to Serena and tell me who is more cut....she gets a pass for obvious reasons...:popcorn

I've never seen a person on peds with such large breast. Take a good look at Stosur and tell me the difference between her and Serena. Yea, here breast are much larger than Serena's

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Stosur has no breasts and her voice is very deep....allegedly

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
Front242 said:
tossip said:

From reading your post you are insinuating that Serena is juicing...Your subtlety has not gone un-notice. I guess you do not think Serena can work her butt off to achieve her goals. It's ok for novak and Fed to win majors on their hardwork alone because they are white, but for Serena it's a no,no. Yes we get defensive because people like you are trying to damage her character without any proof at all and it's not right.

No, I'm not. I'm actually a fan of Serena. I'm merely countering the nonsense that Frum's comments were racist when they weren't.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
Front242 said:
tossip said:

Roger looks good for a few matches at a time but nothing like Serena and hence why he lost. He may be good enough to beat tier 2 guys and Murray but he did not play well against Novak. And no, Roger does not just as good as his prime. He's slower, gives away leads in sets and hits way more errors. His forehand is absolutely nothing like in his prime, totally lacking power and he's slow to run down balls on his forehand side. Serena gives away leads and makes a lot of errors at times too but the end result is still usually her winning the slam in the end. Big difference to Roger losing yet another one. Tennis is a worldwide sport and while there have clearly been racist issues in the past like at Indian Wells, there were none from David Frum's comments. He was talking about performance only.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
federberg said:

Calm yourself! :snicker I was sleeping, not avoiding your question. Sheeesh!

I refer to odd incidents like her blood clot crisis. Please read what I say carefully... it could be construed as suspicious. I never said that I imagined that ever had anything to do with PED's. I repeat I think she is clean, but in a world where suspicions are directed at over achievers I'm not surprised to have seen questioning of incidents like that.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
special700 said:
federberg said:

I refer to odd incidents like her blood clot crisis. Please read what I say carefully... it could be construed as suspicious. I never said that I imagined that ever had anything to do with PED's. I repeat I think she is clean, but in a world where suspicions are directed at over achievers I'm not surprised to have seen questioning of incidents like that.

You know what you really need to educate yourself about embolisms and how they occur. When you do that then we can talk. There was not a damn thing odd about that blood clot and that is why you need to educate yourself. Google is our friend.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
federberg said:
special700 said:

You know what you really need to educate yourself about embolisms and how they occur. When you do that then we can talk. There was not a damn thing odd about that blood clot and that is why you need to educate yourself. Google is our friend.

Oh get over yourself. There is nothing worse than a poster getting excited about a post when it's being so clearly misunderstood. Let me spell it out for you. I DO NOT BELIEVE SERENA HAS TAKEN ANYTHING EVER. Clear enough?? Now.. I did concede that I can understand how people who have a tendency towards suspicion might focus on things like Serena's blod clot. Not because I believe it's true... get it? Purely because people are going to say "ah blod clot... EPO!" But I repeat.. and I'm guessing this is difficult for you... I DON'T BELIEVE SHE HAS TAKEN ANYTHING. The woman has been a top athlete since day one. She has had extensive periods out of the game, which makes it easy to understand her longevity. Comprendez? .... good! :nono

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Did you guys see what Maria's Sharapova’s agent Max Eisenbud tweeted, “125 mph #isthisnormal.”
Yet, Sabine served a 131mph serve and it was lauded as outstanding. No one questioned her. And people claimed it's not about race. Coulda fool me.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
Did you guys see what Maria's Sharapova’s agent Max Eisenbud tweeted, “125 mph #isthisnormal.”
Yet, Sabine served a 131mph serve and it was lauded as outstanding. No one questioned her. And people claimed it's not about race. Coulda fool me.

So does this mean that anytime someone doesn't praise Serena they're racist? Where do you see the racial connotation there? Surely that could have been said about any player that's dominating Maria?

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
special700 said:

So does this mean that anytime someone doesn't praise Serena they're racist? Where do you see the racial connotation there? Surely that could have been said about any player that's dominating Maria?

Apparently you can't read if that's the only thing you got out of Max Eisenbud tweeted. In that case I have nothing more to say. Where in my post did I say something was racial? Again, you lack comprehension skills and you should read my post again. Let me spell it out for you what he's insinuating - he's insinuating she's on something. If you did not see that in that tweet he sent out then you are obviously ignoring it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
federberg said:
special700 said:

Apparently you can't read if that's the only thing you got out of Max Eisenbud tweeted. In that case I have nothing more to say. Where in my post did I say something was racial? Again, you lack comprehension skills and you should read my post again. Let me spell it out for you what he's insinuating - he's insinuating she's on something. If you did not see that in that tweet he sent out then you are obviously ignoring it.

??:huh:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
does anyone has a feeling that there is someone who is feeding the media all this nonsense about Serena and knows that if Serena gets the Grand slam her endorsements will rise to very good heights....scared about something