Tennis Channel's "100 Greatest of All Time"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, leave my joke alone!

(it is not even mine, I translated it only). I believe it is a pleonasm, not a tautology (commenting on the above). In my mind a pleonasm is just repetition, while a tautology implies circular logic.
Now that you say it, I think it was a pleonasm. I think I will spend my life distinguishing between them.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
@Ricardo, "defenestrated" means exactly "thrown out of the window". That´s the joke... it is silly but I still laugh out of it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@mrzz I rather love a silly joke, and appreciated yours.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Not circular logic, but simply that you used too many words. Now that you say it, I think it was a pleonasm. I think I will spend my life distinguishing between them.

I checked and, grammatically, you are right, and I am wrong, as usual.

However, I have an excuse. Tautology, in philosophy, usually implies a circular argument. "A tautological argument". That is were I get it from...

In a day to day context, I would use pleonasm as a "simple" repetition of meaning, and leave "tautology" for a long, repetitive phrase or paragraph. But that´s just me.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I checked and, grammatically, you are right, and I am wrong, as usual.

However, I have an excuse. Tautology, in philosophy, usually implies a circular argument. "A tautological argument". That is were I get it from...

In a day to day context, than, I would use pleonasm as a "simple" repetition of meaning, and leave "tautology" for a long, repetitive phrase or paragraph. But that´s just me.
No, I think you are right, as I tried to correct above. It was a pleonasm...repetition of the same thing. Perhaps we can get a judgement on it.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
That it was a pleonasm, yes, that was clear... but I was sure tautology always implied circular logic, and found out that it is not the case.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes I guess I missed the nuance before. Always nice to learn :)
Some things are easier to spot than others.
7bdfec8d-dd12-43d1-8fd6-16b4d1199205

Reactions: Federberg