Tennis Channel's "100 Greatest of All Time"

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Speak to Steve Flink and Joel Drucker (real historians) and ask them the following question:

"Would you say that guys who claim Roy Emerson is greater than Pancho Gonzales, to have a high level knowledge of tennis history?"

I'm pretty confident you'd get a negative answer.
:facepalm:
Mate... they are journalists not emeritus professors. Good grief you can't assign them intellectual prowess they don't have. These guys have made their careers seeking the opinions of a class of people who know more about the sport than they do. Players! I very much doubt they would hold their own opinions to be of higher value than a pro. Yes they are likely to believe in their record keeping more than a players recollection, but I guarantee you if a Rod Laver sat down with them and argued the case for Emerson over Gonzales (don't get your knickers in a twist I'm presenting a hypothetical) they would instantly defer. A true historian would not

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
:facepalm:
Mate... they are journalists not emeritus professors. Good grief you can't assign them intellectual prowess they don't have.

What's wrong with you? What intellectual prowess do I assign them?

These guys have made their careers seeking the opinions of a class of people who know more about the sport than they do. Players!

A pro is an expert on playing tennis and that's a different expertise area from tennis history.

I guarantee you if a Rod Laver sat down with them and argued the case for Emerson over Gonzales (don't get your knickers in a twist I'm presenting a hypothetical) they would instantly defer.

No, they wouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Maybe "intellectual" was the wrong word. Scholastic prowess would be more accurate. You called them "real historians", they're just journalists.

Anyway.. if that's your opinion, that's your opinion. I respectfully disagree. No harm no foul

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
^Maybe "intellectual" was the wrong word. Scholastic prowess would be more accurate. You called them "real historians", they're just journalists.

You don't have to possess academic credentials in order to be a real historian. If you are an expert on tennis history you are a real historian.

Steve Flink and Joel Drucker are historians and journalists.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You don't have to possess academic credentials in order to be a real historian. If you are an expert on tennis history you are a real historian.

Steve Flink and Joel Drucker are historians and journalists.

So you say mate. So you say!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If you want to take his word as gospel, then go for it. No skin off my nose. Enjoy!

FYI, In the UK Liberal Democratic politicians have been calling Vince Caborn an expert on economic affairs :facepalm:. People market themselves in specific ways. I'm starting to understand why people feel they can get away with things like that :D

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
If you want to take his word as gospel, then go for it. No skin off my nose. Enjoy!

FYI, In the UK Liberal Democratic politicians have been calling Vince Caborn an expert on economic affairs :facepalm:. People market themselves in specific ways. I'm starting to understand why people feel they can get away with things like that :D

Who disputes that Flink is a historian?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Bwahahaha! The enemy of my enemy is my friend right? Such a little boy..

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Bwahahaha! The enemy of my enemy is my friend right? Such a little boy..

what did i say wrong?

1. you are not bright
2. you always try to sound smart

Both are correct, simple facts stated

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can tell you one reason: because Federberg dared to betray his gender and find reasonable arguments on equal pay for the women. "Shemaleberg" sound familiar? So Ricardo put him on his hit-list, which means endless bile and insult for no reason.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^He did WHAT? Oh that freaking traitor! He should be defenestrated and then thrown out of the window.

But I actually doubt that he found a good reasonable argument on equal pay, because I doubt there is one....:p

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^He did WHAT? Oh that freaking traitor! He should be defenestrated and then thrown out of the window.

But I actually doubt that he found a good reasonable argument on equal pay, because I doubt there is one....:p
I know, right? Women are just a slender appendage taken out of Adam's Rib. When WILL we learn our place?!

Reactions: El Dude

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Lol! Please don't blame me. I'm not the aggressor in this. I'll admit I do find the banter enjoyable and every time the kid goes on the attack it reminds me how I got in his head. Obviously it still bothers him! :)

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know, right? Women are just a slender appendage taken out of Adam's Rib. When WILL we learn our place?!

Fact is they live off the sport that men invented and made a success of, and being lower level players who demonstrably generate less market value ask for equal pay, that is the crux of it. It has nothing to do with gender really, but just a spoilt bunch (that bunch can be any group) getting more than they deserve.....and now some ATP players are not happy, rightfully.

Only in tennis, the best players don't get the most after systematic PC manipulation.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Lol! Please don't blame me. I'm not the aggressor in this. I'll admit I do find the banter enjoyable and every time the kid goes on the attack it reminds me how I got in his head. Obviously it still bothers him! :)

put on brave face any way you like, you know i am right. your perspective has always been that getting PC is your priority of living, and you fit exactly what Eastwood called 'pussy' generation.

and i enjoy telling you each and every time.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can tell you one reason: because Federberg dared to betray his gender and find reasonable arguments on equal pay for the women. "Shemaleberg" sound familiar? So Ricardo put him on his hit-list, which means endless bile and insult for no reason.

what reasonable argument did he have? enlighten us.