SPECTRE

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Coming soon, folks, I'm really looking forward to this one.

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/VCLd5seeEw8[/video]

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/l9hMaqdNzz8[/video]

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/4n_4JcdqQmo[/video]

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Me too Kieran. Word is this is Daniel's last Bond flick. They're looking for his replacement already.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Me too Kieran. Word is this is Daniel's last Bond flick. They're looking for his replacement already.

I read recently that he's doing the next one too, because there's a story arc from Skyfall, through Spectre, to the next one. But he's also been moaning a fair bit, and Sony have told him to button it...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I don't know that I believe he said that. It could have been taken out of context though.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's hard to say, with the press. If he jacks it in, who's the next Bond?

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Skyfall was the first Craig bond movie I really liked. I felt like the first two lacked the sense of humor I want in a bond movie. I am looking forward to spectre too! He was such a fun villain. If this movie is in the same vein as Skyfall, I will be hoping Daniel Craig sticks around even though, I wanted Clive Owen as bond back then (now he is too old I think).

I would love to see Idris Elba as the next Bond. Now that they aren't sticking to the archetype of dark brown haired white dude, they can go in any direction, and I think Elba could have a great suave, classic bond vibe, while bringing something new to the series.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Idris would be a popular choice but there'd have to be some kind of explanation given for the colour change. It's hard to see how they could ignore it, without turning it into something akin to the Marvel franchise, where shape-shifting and wild science are okay. But I'd definitely love to see Idris as Bond.

What about "Jane Bond?" :Nono

I think that would be a sop to faddish sexual politics, and would make an utter mockery of things. Plus, it would lose most of its audience, which is generally male.

I kinda wish they'd made more films with Sean Connery, but recent ones, Bond as old man, retired, but hunted down...

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think Idris would be a popular choice but there'd have to be some kind of explanation given for the colour change. It's hard to see how they could ignore it, without turning it into something akin to the Marvel franchise, where shape-shifting and wild science are okay. But I'd definitely love to see Idris as Bond.

What about "Jane Bond?" :Nono

I think that would be a sop to faddish sexual politics, and would make an utter mockery of things. Plus, it would lose most of its audience, which is generally male.

I kinda wish they'd made more films with Sean Connery, but recent ones, Bond as old man, retired, but hunted down...

Keiran, that would be EPIC! Old Bond using 50s-era spy gadgets to take down 21st century villains!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
How about Chiwetel Ejiofor?

I'd prefer just about anyone to Daniel Craig. He's never felt right to me as Bond -- but no one does, really, after Mr. Connery.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
How about Chiwetel Ejiofor?

I'd prefer just about anyone to Daniel Craig. He's never felt right to me as Bond -- but no one does, really, after Mr. Connery.

He could be good, although I am sticking with Elba!

I would have agreed with you about Craig, before Skyfall, although he has always struck as a little too muscle-bound. Bond should be judo-chopping and Vulcan Death-gripping his way to victory.

This may sound crazy, but I loved Pierce Brosnan as Bond. I thought most of the movies he was in were abysmal (exception being Golden Eye, which was great), but he was great. To me, Brosnan and Connery were Bond!

Also Kieran, even as a Lefty-male-feminist, leave Bond alone! James Bond is a man, haha.

In terms of great female spy-type movies, did anybody else see Haywire a couple years back? It was pretty great. Really strong cast.

Not sure this trailer really does it justice, but you get the idea: [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpffbDjWlog[/video]

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Haywire looks great, an incredible cast too. I recognised Dublin in the clip. But I'm completely against the idea of Jane Bond. Imagine it:

JB: The name's Bond. Jane Bond.

Other Person: No it isn't, it's Miss Moneypenny. Here's my hat, I'll have a coffee, no milk. Run along, dear. :popcorn

Just doesn't scan.

I agree about Craig, he's become an acquired taste. I read an interview with him where he said he wanted to make Bond feel suffering. He does bring a macho element to it that's been missing since Sean Connery...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Without going into them in too much depth, I skimmed them, but the reviews from the Telegraph, the Independent and the Guardian are out today - overwhelmingly positive!

I see it's coming out in IMAX, but is it in 3D? I can't imagine Bond in 3D, and part of me hopes it isn't, but IMAX giant feck-off screen, tons of popcorn and feet draped over the seat in front? That's the one for me... ;)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm going this weekend. Will report back on Saturday.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Great! Would love to read a review from somebody we know. I think I'm going next Wednesday...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I've seen the last 2 Bond movies in IMAX. The IMAX experience is great. There really isn't anything like it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
I've seen the last 2 Bond movies in IMAX. The IMAX experience is great. There really isn't anything like it.

That was my next question: will you see it in IMAX? That's the screen I'm going for. The last Bond flick was the best of the series, for me, or at least the best since Sean Connery...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
kskate2 said:

That was my next question: will you see it in IMAX? That's the screen I'm going for. The last Bond flick was the best of the series, for me, or at least the best since Sean Connery...

I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but the last 2 Bond movies were shown in IMAX at the theater I frequent. I can't imagine they would vary the script for this one.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Spectre is really really good. Great in IMAX if you can get it. IMO still not as good as Skyfall.

Opening track by Sam Smith is a perfect fit.