Songs that mean something...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
These don't have to be good songs... just songs that you remind you of something or mean something...

Here is one an example... became a signature tune for me before I emigrated from the UK to Australia. Plus I loved the tune when it was released years earlier when I was a young squirt,

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In college, we used to have roof top parties and this song had a lot of meaning.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Murat you had the Scorpions and I learned how to play drums off the whole Dirty Mind album, but this song in particular

Then I have to add a prop for the 80's. All songs from the 80's mean something to me, but this is one I remember staying up late for Fri Night Videos at 10:30pm. Every week they would debut a new video and and then show some older videos for the rest of the hour 1/2 show.
watch

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I always liked the poetic and tranquil flow of Janis Ian's "At Seventeen", which a young lad who feels left out because of how they are can take to as well as a young lady.

Another song that has great meaning for me (and likely for many men of my generation) is Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle".

Another that will always transport me back to my magical days in Madrid is Mecano's "Cruz de Navajas".

K

Kenneth

Murat, the vid's not available any more. Is there any way to reupload it?

I find a lot of rock songs having meaningful text
for example BVB's 'In the End'

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought I would resurrect this thread as it got surprisingly few comments. At any rate, I just returned from a golfing trip with my father and brother (no girlfriends or wives) up in northern Georgia, USA and, naturally, we went back to old music that had meaning in our lives. My father was playing his old Roy Orbison tunes (I personally dig "Only in Dreams"--just fabulous); Just for fun and a laugh I put on a little Glen Campbell from his old Goodtime Hour television show from the early Seventies ("Gentle on my Mind" and "Wichita Lineman") and followed it up with early Rick James ("You and I"--which my Dad liked too), then my younger brother was spinning early Tears for Fears from his high school days ("Shout" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"). In short, we had a blast with the music, old videos of golfing up there a decade ago and loads of laughs. All that music was great and reminded us of old times.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I really sung this song during hard times when I couldn't cry or I'd upset others & had to care for & be strong for others. It really helped me especially the part that goes, "When the night has been too lonely & the road has been too long & you think that life is only for the lucky or the strong, just remember in the winter far beneath the falling snow is the seed that with the sun's love in the spring becomes the rose". I've got a nice voice so they just thought I was singing to them to be nice to them though I did get asked to sing a different song once or twice.

Horsa

Reactions
I used to sing "let it be" at work to calm me down when I was a victim of bullying & harassment in the workplace. It calmed me down. They just thought I was singing to them so I got away with it. It really helped me.

Horsa

Reactions

After I went to Scotland for the 1st time when I felt at home for the 1st time ever. I felt more at home there than where I live but I'd never really felt like I fitted in. My hair was too thick & curly for normal, English hair. I was different & got picked on for it. Some Scots words penetrated into our language. I'd always loved the sound of bagpipes since I 1st heard them as a young girl & I loved tartan & shortbread & Highland toffee. In Scotland, I always get told they love my hair & I've been mistaken for a Scot at bus-stops & asked what time the bus was due & when I answered been told "I'm sorry, I thought you were a Scot with that hair." I did some genealogical research & found out 14/17 of my ancestors were Scots/Irish which explained everything. That song really gets me & I really feel that way. I cry when I'm not there. I don't make a conscious effort to cry but I do. I guess "These are my mountains" would be relevant too because most of my ancestors came from Dunoon in the Highlands of Scotland so if I shared a picture of Dunoon showing mountains & the Glen I could really "sing" 'These are my mountains & this is my Glen".