Serena comments on Steubenville rape case!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here is the link: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/serena-williams-the-great-one-20130618

I am kind of disappointed in her response to this. Sure the girl could have used better judgment as Serena suggests, but good judgment or not no one deserves to be raped because of poor judgement. I don't care if a girl is naked and has taken every kind of drug imaginable; you do not touch her unless given permission. Asking if rapists received a fair punishment? I can see why it has caused a stir with people as it does seem that Serena is favoring the rapists over the victim with her response to this.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This has become a very irritating topic lately, celebs musing in public over "rape-rape" and did she ask for it and so forth. I'm not surprised Serena said something appalling here, but she needs to be educated fast: rape is rape and the girl is never at fault.

Asking the questions she asked, about too much drink and so forth, these are irrelevances and insulting to women - and men. Men don't turn into rapists just because they're drunk!

For a woman who's a role model for young girls to smugly blame a 16 year old for being attacked this way is adding insult to injury. Having said that, why does anyone expect pop stars or tennis stars to have a clue about anything other than their own selves and the game they're in? :mad:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Obviously not her finest hour in front of a mic. For someone who speaks several languagues and appears well educated, sometimes I marvel at the things that come out of her mouth. :puzzled

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
Sometimes people should stick with what they know and not comment on topics outside of their profession. She should only ever talk about tennis and nothing else. In fact, I doubt many people even care what she thinks outside of tennis. Yet, celebrities and sports stars, not to mention countless others, are always drawn to topics they have no business discussing in public. Her lack of education, and common sense, is quite apparent here.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Here is the link: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/serena-williams-the-great-one-20130618

I am kind of disappointed in her response to this. Sure the girl could have used better judgment as Serena suggests, but good judgment or not no one deserves to be raped because of poor judgement. I don't care if a girl is naked and has taken every kind of drug imaginable; you do not touch her unless given permission. Asking if rapists received a fair punishment? I can see why it has caused a stir with people as it does seem that Serena is favoring the rapists over the victim with her response to this.

I read that and I was like, "really Serena?" It made me wince when reading it.

I want to attribute it to her not being the most eloquent speaker , and maybe she just didn't know how to express better, because there were some points I agree with, although I must admit, she didn't "blame" the victim, although she insinuated that she, the victim, should not have put herself in a position where she's drunk, and at a far less position to defend herself, and where are the parents. That much I agree with.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree that it was a bad choice, but the context of the comment seems that she was just speaking off the cuff while watching tv. It's not like she sent out a press release. I agree with everybody's opinion on rape and disagreeing with serena, but I would like to hear more about how the quote came about. It could have just been a dumb lapse in front of a reporter who seemed to be following serena around all day.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
She's obviously had her nose turned to face the wind, because she's apologised:

BBC News

But even then, in the lingo of American self-help thingies, she didn't 'own' her words, she says "what was written - what I supposedly said..."

This is mealy-mouthed. If you didn't say it, then why apologise? But anyway, it's tough for people like her to humble themselves, so I suppose even a politic admission of fault is something...

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I don't mind celebrities discussing topics outside of their profession. WE do it all the time and I don't see why a celebrity has any less of a right to express his or her opinions than the rest of us. Having said that, this is definitely not Serena's finest hour and she should have realized that this is deeply personal stuff for the victim and her family. It's not just giving her opinion on any random 'in general' topic. And that opinion (the original one) itself is surprising and disappointing.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
She's obviously had her nose turned to face the wind, because she's apologised:

BBC News

But even then, in the lingo of American self-help thingies, she didn't 'own' her words, she says "what was written - what I supposedly said..."

This is mealy-mouthed. If you didn't say it, then why apologise? But anyway, it's tough for people like her to humble themselves, so I suppose even a politic admission of fault is something...

I believe she said it, but I say things off hand all the time that are a immediate or thoughtless reaction, that I might not want to send off into the world. My main point isn't that Serena is blaimless, but there is a context to how her opinion was released that implied that she was talking in the presence of a reporter instead of releasing ya know like a press release on the politics of rape. I would find it more obnoxious if she was trying to frame herself as a kind of spokesman or intervening in the case. It just seems like an offhand comments. Don't get me wrong there is little need to pity serena and her millions, but I am just trying to be fairminded instead piling on.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena s mistake according to the media was questioning parental responsibility,she never blamed the girl but spoke about taking responsibility of yourself.The media as usual always looking at ways to stop Serena from winning,this time it will not work because she will be extra motivated to win....watch out pova 15-2 or Azarenka 13-2...

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
apparently, she had a good long talk with the victim, her mother and their lawyer, who were very positively impressed by that. i honestly think that she's been handling this whole thing very well, and is very quick to turn things around here.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
apparently, she had a good long talk with the victim, her mother and their lawyer, who were very positively impressed by that. i honestly think that she's been handling this whole thing very well, and is very quick to turn things around here.
that was a genius move by Serena and all this was to distract her..now back to business of defending her title...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
and all this was to distract her..now back to business of defending her title...

Are you kidding? That's preposterous. It gets really old when you read into every little thing that it's a conspiracy to bring down Serena. She got herself into this, so if there's any distraction it's of her own doing.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
johnsteinbeck said:
that was a genius move by Serena and all this was to distract her..now back to business of defending her title...

Well Serena shouldn't make blanket statements in front of interviewers that would bring about said distractions in the first place. Note: Serena was not asked to give her opinion about the rape case, but she rather offered it up in front of an interviewer. An interviewer that is always looking for something interesting to print. Serena has been in the game for how long to know better? The irony here is what happened to Serena is the very thing that happened to Sloane earlier this year. You run your mouth about something, then you might just have to face up to it. Serena got lucky that the family was far more understanding concerning the situation than most people would have been. Serena got flak and rightfully so for what she said. I hope from here on out she just plays tennis, and she doesn't allow things like this to creep up and potentially cause the focus to be shifted from her tennis.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
tossip said:
johnsteinbeck said:

Well Serena shouldn't make blanket statements in front of interviewers that would bring about said distractions in the first place. Note: Serena was not asked to give her opinion about the rape case, but she rather offered it up in front of an interviewer. An interviewer that is always looking for something interesting to print. Serena has been in the game for how long to know better? The irony here is what happened to Serena is the very thing that happened to Sloane earlier this year. You run your mouth about something, then you might just have to face up to it. Serena got lucky that the family was far more understanding concerning the situation than most people would have been. Serena got flak and rightfully so for what she said. I hope from here on out she just plays tennis, and she doesn't allow things like this to creep up and potentially cause the focus to be shifted from her tennis.
Serena never trashed the girl or fabricated stuff:nonowhat Scone did was defamation of character..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:

Yeah, she's got excellent business and PR people around her who have educated her in how her primitive views can hurt her wealth and popularity...

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sure the victim is not at fault, so why do we advise people not to show off their valuables when they go to various parts of the world, or nation or even suburbs?

Because they'd get bashed and robbed.

Now if we advise people to hide their money, does that mean we favor the robbers over the victim? same logic applies, you are rich and it's within your 'rights' to show off, but DON'T do it because it increases the chance of you getting hurt, beat up and robbed..... or worse.

Of course people have no right to hurt you just because you show off, (money, jewelry or 'body'), but they just do... it has nothing to do with right or wrong since we all know it. It's about protecting yourself, does anyone think the criminals care what 'rights' you are supposed to have?

Serena does have a point, those who criticize her should try doing the same .... then if they get hurt come back and tell us about whatever 'rights' they have. In the real world, she is right on this one (i don't agree with many of her views though).

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
ricardo said:
Sure the victim is not at fault, so why do we advise people not to show off their valuables when they go to various parts of the world, or nation or even suburbs?

Now if we advise people to hide their money, does that mean we favor the robbers over the victim? same logic applies, you are rich and it's within your 'rights' to show off, but DON'T do it because it increases the chance of you getting hurt, beat up and robbed..... or worse.

Of course people have no right to hurt you just because you show off, (money, jewelry or 'body'), but they just do... it has nothing to do with right or wrong since we all know it. It's about protecting yourself, does anyone think the criminals care what 'rights' you are supposed to have?

Serena does have a point, those who criticize her should try doing the same .... then if they get hurt come back and tell us about whatever 'rights' they have. In the real world, she is right on this one (i don't agree with many of her views though).

So, I guess from your view of the world all women should wear burquas, the rich should drive Yugos and live in small apartments, and the smart should act dumb.

This logic is absolutely counter to a true form of republican government where property rights (material, bodily, and intellectual) are and should be protected. No one should ever have to "hide" themselves from fear of attack.

The attackers in case are wrong but so is Williams for her comments.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
^^ Exactly.

The wrong logic here makes the rapist a victim of their own warped lust, and the girl is the aggressor because she wore a short skirt and had a drink.

It's both misogynistic AND insulting to men!

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Asmodeus said:
ricardo said:

So, I guess from your view of the world all women should wear burquas, the rich should drive Yugos and live in small apartments, and the smart should act dumb.

This logic is absolutely counter to a true form of republican government where property rights (material, bodily, and intellectual) are and should be protected. No one should ever have to "hide" themselves from fear of attack.

The attackers in case are wrong but so is Williams for her comments.

It's not my view of the world, it's reality and pretending to live in an ideal world is stupid. Guess what, i think you just talk the talk but never walk the walk .... like so many here :D

I bet you don't wear valuables and walk around certain parts of the world, actually not even certain parts of New York, and you don't wear bikinis in some place where people drink a lot, and i don't see you showing off your 'smart' in a corporate.

Because you know you'd likely get beat up and mobbed, insulted and attacked. There is no law that will stop this, its human nature and you live with it. Everyone can talk about what supposedly rights they have (i certainly know my rights) but it simply doesn't work that way. People who traffic drugs, commit robbery etc face death penalty in some countries, yet even that won't stop them.... the world is never ideal, just admit it.

When my friend went to south Italy last year, i advised him to keep his money well-hiden (then he got robbed anyway); i also advised my female friend to dress carefully when she went to Turkey, thankfully nothing happened. Your talk of 'rights' and 'what should and shouldn't' is actually useless, since when does that kind of PC talk make a difference? you adapt to the environment not vice-versa. I think those who commit the crimes should face the toughest penalty, yet even that will not stop.

You know what, you go and walk the walk before putting on that brave and righteous face.

Kieran said:
^^ Exactly.

The wrong logic here makes the rapist a victim of their own warped lust, and the girl is the aggressor because she wore a short skirt and had a drink.

It's both misogynistic AND insulting to men!

Exactly what a warped logic you have. Nobody here thinks the girl is anything but a victim, it's a useless way of trying an argument. Would you advise a girl to wear a short skirt and have a drink with people who you don't know are safe or not? if you do, i am sure smart girls would stay away from you :D. If you don't, what are you whinging about? :laydownlaughing

In any case, i don't see you walking across some place with a stash of cash in your hand; and i am sure it's not because you have any less 'rights' to do so :rolleyes:

Lastly, i see the word 'misogyny' getting used a lot.... almost like one is not up-to-date if he/she doesn't use it, even if it's irrelevant... quite ridiculous actually.