September/October Tennis Magazine: UNCLE TONI, Greatest Coach Ever?

N

NADAL2005RG

Moxie629 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
I read Agassi's "Open" book a couple of years ago, and it was by far the best reading experience ever.

I'm hoping you meant to imply "…for a sports autobiography," at the end of that statement. ;) I really enjoyed it, too.

I've only ever read sports biographies/autobiographies
Even in school I never read the prescribed books, just skimmed through the cliff notes summaries and still got regular A grades :spacecadet:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken posited this question again in the 2014 Davis Cup thread. Rather than derail that one, and since there is an open discussion on the topic, I thought I'd bring this thread back.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Broken posited this question again in the 2014 Davis Cup thread. Rather than derail that one, and since there is an open discussion on the topic, I thought I'd bring this thread back.

Well, Uncle Toni certainly was outspoken about the new Spanish Davis Cup captain.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

Well, Uncle Toni certainly was outspoken about the new Spanish Davis Cup captain.

:mad: Don't remind me. In fairness, I've never even heard of her, as much as I follow Spanish tennis, so I'm not sure why she was the only or best choice, but some notion that guys wear too little in the locker room is a lame reason. I'm sorry Moya didn't give it more time, but he does have 3 very small children now, which is one of the cited reasons. I'll be interested to see if she has more powers of persuasion to get top players to play, esp. as they've dropped out of the World Group. Verdasco has come out against her. Rafa says he doesn't know her, and so won't judge. And Toni...well, this is why he is up for debate, rolling back to topic. He is never short of an opinion. Which often makes him controversial.

But, he has shepherded his charge to an incredible career. I wonder who else would be put forth as the best coaches in the Open Era. (Sorry, I didn't look back to see who else people put up.)

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

:mad: Don't remind me. In fairness, I've never even heard of her, as much as I follow Spanish tennis, so I'm not sure why she was the only or best choice, but some notion that guys wear too little in the locker room is a lame reason. I'm sorry Moya didn't give it more time, but he does have 3 very small children now, which is one of the cited reasons. I'll be interested to see if she has more powers of persuasion to get top players to play, esp. as they've dropped out of the World Group. Verdasco has come out against her. Rafa says he doesn't know her, and so won't judge. And Toni...well, this is why he is up for debate, rolling back to topic. He is never short of an opinion. Which often makes him controversial.

But, he has shepherded his charge to an incredible career. I wonder who else would be put forth as the best coaches in the Open Era. (Sorry, I didn't look back to see who else people put up.)

Well, I think the only objection put forth that should have any validity is that the players are unfamiliar with her and won't respect her like they did Costa and others.

I actually think it is a clever move. It will force the players to take responsibility for themselves and be self motivated. And I think it would set a great precedent. Enough of the sausage fest that is DC captaincy. Men coach Fed Cup, so why not?

I would throw Larry Stefanki, Nick B., Tony Roche, and Bob Brett in there.....and my fave, Peter Lundgren..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with your reasoning, and I hope Gala Leon has a good run. At least she could get Spain back to World Group. And, yes, maybe they'll take responsibility, knowing that the Armada doesn't run itself, and isn't a given. (Clearly.)

I have a soft spot for Peter Lundgren, but I don't know that any of them can beat Toni's record. The difference is coaching different players, and Toni has only coached one. But I'm not sure if that matters, if you've been an extraordinary coach to an extraordinary player. In the end, you can't completely dissect which part was the coach, and which the player.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I agree with your reasoning, and I hope Gala Leon has a good run. At least she could get Spain back to World Group. And, yes, maybe they'll take responsibility, knowing that the Armada doesn't run itself, and isn't a given. (Clearly.)

I have a soft spot for Peter Lundgren, but I don't know that any of them can beat Toni's record. The difference is coaching different players, and Toni has only coached one. But I'm not sure if that matters, if you've been an extraordinary coach to an extraordinary player. In the end, you can't completely dissect which part was the coach, and which the player.

You nailed concerning the Armada. 'Nuff said.

Lundgren is the coolest cat you will ever meet. His philosophy is: I will give you my insight, tell you what I think...it is up you to take it or leave it...i'm going to have a pitcher of beer after the match, win or lose, since the ultimate reposibility is yours...:D

The thing with Toni, is yes, my the numbers...he is amazing...but it so hard to rank a one player coach...

I think what Toni brought to the table after Rafa's accent is the fact that Rafa trusts him with his life, and he knows Toni is blood who only has his best interest at heart. He his not a hired gun. That feeling is impossible to replace.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

Lundgren is the coolest cat you will ever meet. His philosophy is: I will give you my insight, tell you what I think...it is up you to take it or leave it...i'm going to have a pitcher of beer after the match, win or lose, since the ultimate reposibility is yours...:D

The thing with Toni, is yes, my the numbers...he is amazing...but it so hard to rank a one player coach...

I think what Toni brought to the table after Rafa's accent is the fact that Rafa trusts him with his life, and he knows Toni is blood who only has his best interest at heart. He his not a hired gun. That feeling is impossible to replace.

You make a good point about Toni being a one-player coach. In addition, he wasn't just creating a tennis player, he was helping to raise his nephew. Their symbiotic relationship has much to do with blood. Toni learned to coach while Rafa learned to be a tennis player, so they've grown into this status together. I've never been sure if you could translate Toni's coaching to another player. But I am sure that Rafa has been best served by having Toni as his coach.

N

NADAL2005RG

Melanie Molitor has proven herself about twice as much as Uncle Toni.
Molitor coached Hingis to all the youngest ever records.

And she's been coaching Belinda Bencic for the last 10 years, and Bencic is the youngest player since Hingis to reach US Open QF.

I mean, depends how good Bencic becomes, but all the signs are there that Molitor is the best coach ever at taking someone from scratch and making them into a professional (or champion) tennis player.

We aren't even sure if Uncle Toni can take another kid to professional tennis.
He's apparently been coaching youngsters ever since Nadal was a baby.

Maybe Nadal would have been a champion tennis player regardless of who coached him.
Extremely hard to assess.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:

You make a good point about Toni being a one-player coach. In addition, he wasn't just creating a tennis player, he was helping to raise his nephew. Their symbiotic relationship has much to do with blood. Toni learned to coach while Rafa learned to be a tennis player, so they've grown into this status together. I've never been sure if you could translate Toni's coaching to another player. But I am sure that Rafa has been best served by having Toni as his coach.

You are exactly right....I think most people realize that Toni and Rafa make perfect sense together considering their history. That is why you never hear rumblings that Rafa should change coaches...like you did with Blake, Wozniaki, Chang, and others who were either coached by their childhood coaches or family members.

Nope, this is one relationship that I don't see ending until Rafa retires.

I think Toni also does not get enough credit for developing Rafa as a human being.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Melanie Molitor has proven herself about twice as much as Uncle Toni.
Molitor coached Hingis to all the youngest ever records.

And she's been coaching Belinda Bencic for the last 10 years, and Bencic is the youngest player since Hingis to reach US Open QF.

I mean, depends how good Bencic becomes, but all the signs are there that Molitor is the best coach ever at taking someone from scratch and making them into a professional (or champion) tennis player.

We aren't even sure if Uncle Toni can take another kid to professional tennis.
He's apparently been coaching youngsters ever since Nadal was a baby.

Maybe Nadal would have been a champion tennis player regardless of who coached him.
Extremely hard to assess.

That being said...I don't think Hingis was ever a happy or well adjusted person. And she burned out far sooner than she should have.

Rafa on the other hand is quite a happy bloke...and burn out? Ain't happening.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Fun bit of trivia, maybe our buddy El Dude can verify this as I'm totally going out on a limb here:

I think Toni Nadal is the most accomplished coach of all time. As in, he's "won" the most championships as a coach (though I think his nephew had a thing or two to do with that, but still).

Harry Hopman...

We'll limit this to the open era to avoid clusterf*cks.

If you say "all time" then you're not gonna have clusterf*cks, you're gonna have answers. ;)

Tony Roche won 8 slams with Lendl and maybe 6 with Roger, not sure how many. Bergelin won 11 with Bjorn. But uncle Toni is unique because he took a three year old to the summit. I don't know of anybody - even all time - who has a pedigree like his, but again, when we use terms like "Greatest Coach Ever" and then "all time", we do disservice to the greats of the past when we limit the talk to just the open era.

They weren't less gifted in the old black and white days, you know...

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
Too small a sample size - he's only worked with one player of note.

Absolutely my dear. Toni = Bergelin with Borg...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Fun bit of trivia, maybe our buddy El Dude can verify this as I'm totally going out on a limb here:

I think Toni Nadal is the most accomplished coach of all time. As in, he's "won" the most championships as a coach (though I think his nephew had a thing or two to do with that, but still).

Harry Hopman...

We'll limit this to the open era to avoid clusterf*cks.

If you say "all time" then you're not gonna have clusterf*cks, you're gonna have answers. ;)

Tony Roche won 8 slams with Lendl and maybe 6 with Roger, not sure how many. Bergelin won 11 with Bjorn. But uncle Toni is unique because he took a three year old to the summit. I don't know of anybody - even all time - who has a pedigree like his, but again, when we use terms like "Greatest Coach Ever" and then "all time", we do disservice to the greats of the past when we limit the talk to just the open era.

They weren't less gifted in the old black and white days, you know...

"If you say "all time" then you're not gonna have clusterf*cks, you're gonna have answers."

And then I said "open era" because while you offered an answer, I don't trust everyone else not to turn this into a clustf*uck :)

Anyway, I think where Toni stands out (and by "stand out," I don't necessarily mean "better," I just mean "different") is that he took his player literally from scratch. There are coaches who are great at teaching you the basics and turning you into a good/promising player, but don't necessarily excel at taking an established player and benefit him tactically or mentally. That's where Toni is remarkable. He pretty much taught him since day one, came on tour with Rafael (meaning he was just as inexperienced as Rafa was when he originally arrived. That's actually even more remarkable, since we're not talking about a coach who was greatly familiar with the ATP tour), and played an important part in his success. He was a teacher (meaning he literally taught him how to play tennis), a coach and a mentor.

I see the point about Toni being a one player coach, but in this particular case, this actually might be MORE impressive, in many ways. Tony Roach is an incredible coach and had success with multiple players, but one of them was a prime Roger Federer who had already won majors, at the height of his powers. I mean, not to discredit Roach or anything but that's not exactly a difficult job. We're talking about maybe the most talented player to ever hold a racket playing the best tennis of his career.

And don't get me wrong, it's not like Toni was coaching a scrub either. He is coaching one of the most talented tennis players in history, but let's look at how green, unpolished and under-developed Nadal's game was when he first broke through.

To be clear, I think the impact of coaches is at times overstated. Ultimately, the player is out there on his own. A coach will not make your forehand land inside the line on break point. In tennis, it's at least 80% on the player IMO (if not more), but in that remaining 20%, Toni has been instrumental.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In fact, Toni's so good, he can yell out instructions while the match is taking place and get away with it (just getting that out of the way before Front brings it up :))

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
^^ Totally agree. I think without Toni, Rafa's career would have been a whole lot different, but a man who took a child all the way to greatness, as Toni has, the only comparable tale might be Richard Williams...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
^^ Totally agree. I think without Toni, Rafa's career would have been a whole lot different, but a man who took a child all the way to greatness, as Toni has, the only comparable tale might be Richard Williams...

Richard is clearly better since he took TWO ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:

Yeah, but it's only WTA, so they count much less... ;)

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Kieran said:

Yeah, but it's only WTA, so they count much less... ;)

No wonder you like Toni Nadal...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Haven't really been following this thread, but I must admit I forgot about Richard Williams. That's a debate ender right there. Has to be him surely. Particularly when you consider the resistance they would have had to face. From Compton to Centre Court... 2 siblings? One you might call a fluke or freakish.. but two? No question.. it has to be Richard Williams