September/October Tennis Magazine: UNCLE TONI, Greatest Coach Ever?

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
This is gonna be good muahahaha::angel::angel:

In the Sept/Oct issue of Tennis magazine, which I just received, Stephen Tignor has feature article on page 32:

Uncle Toni:

"With 14 Grand Slams singles titles and a seemingly unbreakable relationship with Rafa, it's hard to overlook Toni Nadal as the greatest coach ever."

Thoughts?

(Oh, and Moxie, a feature on up and comers on page 60, Francis Tiafoe)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Fair statement. Toni is a polarizing figure, so it'll be interesting how people comment. I'll come back here with a notion, but for now, thanks for noticing that I've got my eye on Tiafoe, LB. :)

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Great tennis coach, yes, but if that was my uncle I'd have mixed feelings - thumbs up for setting the foundation for me winning 14+ grand slams but thumbs down for basically grabbing me as a kid and pretty much breeding me to be the ultimate anti-Federer, tennis monster, I don't know if that's the kind of uncle-ly love I'd be looking for.

Rafa doesn't seem to mind about the thumbs down part though.

The question is, for Mr Toni to turn another promising youngster that he isn't related to into a world dominator, he'd have to do that before we started talking about him as the greatest coach ever.....

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Great tennis coach, yes, but if that was my uncle I'd have mixed feelings - thumbs up for setting the foundation for me winning 14+ grand slams but thumbs down for basically grabbing me as a kid and pretty much breeding me to be the ultimate anti-Federer, tennis monster, I don't know if that's the kind of uncle-ly love I'd be looking for.

The question is, for Mr Toni to turn another promising youngster that he isn't related to into a world dominator, he'd have to do that before we started talking about him as the greatest coach ever.....

Agree he would have to repeat this success with at least one other player to considered.

One could argue also, that there have been more tha a few one player coaches...Lennert Berglin, Tiriiac, Marion Vadja, etc.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ Fair statement. Toni is a polarizing figure, so it'll be interesting how people comment. I'll come back here with a notion, but for now, thanks for noticing that I've got my eye on Tiafoe, LB. :)

Polarizing because of his approach, or his occasional controversial comments?

Btw, I like Tiafoe's story more than his game...lost of work to do..Noah Rubin, who got a wild card in the the Open, has a far superior game technically, but he is a small guy. I watched him up when he was a practice partner for the Davis Cup tie against Murray, er, Great Btitain.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

Co-signed.

Thoughtful, well stated.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Luxilon Borg said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Davis Cup tie against Murray, er, Great Btitain.

Hey, you leave our woeful depth of tennis talent out of this ;)

Could be worse.....:cry:cool:

It's okay, Murray is apparently barely better than Isner these days anyway and after that you're spoiled for players that are better than bliddy Ward and Evans :snigger

N

NADAL2005RG

Toni coached many, many, many, many kids. Did any of them become pro other than Rafael Nadal?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

As to the bolded, I don't know what you mean by that. Surely there was no "Federer" to speak of until Rafa was well on his path, and I don't think Rafa's a 'monster,' except that he's a monstrous talent.

Wertheim, in his book about Fed and Nadal, said something like…'a comet crossed Toni Nadal's path, and it happened to be his nephew.' I think that's true, so I don't know if you can judge him to be a great tennis coach unless he could replicate his results, within reason. (And "within reason" is fair, because, it would likely not be such a high result, just statistically.) However, there is a symbiosis between uncle and nephew that has worked 'pretty well,' and I mean that ironically. Toni admits he was tough on Rafael, but who is one of the toughest, most-disciplined guys in tennis? I do think that because Toni has known Rafa all his life, and knows his strengths and weaknesses, he was the best to bring them out. Whether he could bring that out of another charge, I don't know, though I suspect he'd do better working with a young player than an established one.

Should we talk about other "greatest coaches?"

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

As to the bolded, I don't know what you mean by that. Surely there was no "Federer" to speak of until Rafa was well on his path, and I don't think Rafa's a 'monster,' except that he's a monstrous talent.

Indeed. I don't think there is anti-anything in Nadal's game. He merely has a very contrasting style to a lot of other players out there.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Moxie629 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Indeed. I don't think there is anti-anything in Nadal's game. He merely has a very contrasting style to a lot of other players out there.

That's a really smart point, which often gets missed. And/or gets denigrated. I think he plays a kind of "raised-by-wolves" tennis, which has to do with never having left Mallorca (vs. going to the Federation in Barcelona,) and only ever having been coached by Toni, bringing us back to the original point.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
TsarMatt said:
Moxie629 said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

That's a really smart point, which often gets missed. And/or gets denigrated. I think he plays a kind of "raised-by-wolves" tennis, which has to do with never having left Mallorca (vs. going to the Federation in Barcelona,) and only ever having been coached by Toni, bringing us back to the original point.
Yep. Any player who doesn't go through the conventional, bureaucratic process of becoming a professional tennis player is guaranteed to have a much more distinctive style than those that do. Unfortunately, this seemed to get overlooked.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
Tony Roche must be included among the top guys.

Yes, but interestingly it was a bust with Rogah. He claimed he was very disappointed in the pairing.

Specifically, he felt Roche was uncommunicative.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
britbox said:
Tony Roche must be included among the top guys.

Yes, but interestingly it was a bust with Rogah. He claimed he was very disappointed in the pairing.

Specifically, he felt Roche was uncommunicative.

What about Brad Gilbert, Darren Cahill, Paul Annacone, and Peter Lundgren? At least on the list. Let's face it, the conversation about Toni has to do with the fact that he is Rafa's one and only coach, and Rafa is an all-time great. Roger has had a few coaches, and so did Pete. So what are the criterion, then, for the best coach?