britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tai-x-wing.jpg

For fans of Science Fiction

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m liking the Star Wars (The Force Awakens) trailers… a bit dark and a bit edgy… kind of an Empire Strikes Back feel about it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Star Wars is obviously dominating the movie release headlines right now, but any other good SciFis coming out before or during the Christmas period?

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Is it because of your kids, or were you a fan before you had them? As I grow older I am less interested in SciFi for some reason.
wpml_scratch.gif

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is it because of your kids, or were you a fan before you had them? As I grow older I am less interested in SciFi for some reason.
wpml_scratch.gif
I'm not actually a huge SciFi fan, but there are certain movies/franchises that I'm a fan of, particularly Star Wars (the original ones, although I thought they jumped the shark a bit with Return of the Jedi), Blade Runner and the Alien films.

Never really got into Star Trek or much other stuff.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I understand. I think that this SciFi thing is for guys mostly.
wpml_wacko.gif

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Good grief, how could I have missed this thread!

Well, to begin with... Star Wars is technically scifi, right, and I even like the old movies, but... well, all real scifi fans know that this is not exactly it. By the way, episodes VII and VIII are among the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. I understand the blockbuster logic, but they suck even in this regard. The only reason people don't come out of the theatres in rage, setting the town on fire is for emotional attachment to the old characters. Good grief what a bunch of shit.

I grew up reading Scifi, and I would love to chat about it here (something tells me I know who will respond to this).

Good old Asimov, Bradbury, Harry Harrison, Lem, Kapec Capek (yes, I am missing some), those guys were brilliant, in broad, literary sense.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions

Well, to begin with... Star Wars is technically scifi, right, and I even like the old movies, but... well, all real scifi fans know that this is not exactly it. By the way, episodes VII and VIII are among the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. I understand the blockbuster logic, but they suck even in this regard. The only reason people don't come out of the theatres in rage, setting the town on fire is for emotional attachment to the old characters. Good grief what a bunch of shit.

I grew up reading Scifi, and I would love to chat about it here (something tells me I know who will respond to this).

Good old Asimov, Bradbury, Harry Harrison, Lem, Kapec Capek (yes, I am missing some), those guys were brilliant, in broad, literary sense.
I'm a huge sci fi book fan too. I loved the Asimov Foundation series, but there are even better ones in my view. Have you read Frank Herbert's Dune series? Absolutely amazing, although his son's follow-ons are appallingly bad. Another series I would recommend, and quite possibly some of the most un-putdownable books I've ever read are Stephen Donaldson's Gap series. I could go on, but interested to hear about your favourites

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm a huge sci fi book fan too. I loved the Asimov Foundation series, but there are even better ones in my view. Have you read Frank Herbert's Dune series? Absolutely amazing, although his son's follow-ons are appallingly bad. Another series I would recommend, and quite possibly some of the most un-putdownable books I've ever read are Stephen Donaldson's Gap series. I could go on, but interested to hear about your favorites.

Before I slowed down and was reading a lot more voraciously, Piers Anthony was my last favorite with his take on sci-fi and fantasy (sorcery/magic)! For fans, "THE Apprentice Adept" series of books went 7 before finishing up and it was great! Loved "Total Recall" which was later made into a movie! The most interesting book was the first I read called "MUTE" back in '81! :whistle: ;-): :yesyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Federberg

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions

I'm not a big sci-fi fan but enjoyed reading journey to the centre of the earth & 20,000 leagues under the sea by Jules Verne although I think his best book is around the world in 80 days. I haven't watched the films though. I also liked Arthur Conan Doyle's the lost world. I once wrote a sci-fi/horror story which people liked & thought was very good & scary but as it's not a genre I really like I haven't really written another 1 since though I'd probably have another go if someone challenged me to do it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Before I slowed down and was reading a lot more voraciously, Pierce Anthony was my last favorite with his take on sci-fi and fantasy (sorcery/magic)! For fans, THE Apprentice Adept series of books went 7 before finishing up and it was great! Loved Total Recall which was later made into a movie! The most interesting book was the first I read called "MUTE" back in '81! :whistle: ;-): :yesyes: :rolleyes:
You mean Piers Anthony? Yes I remember those apprentice adept books. Mother Earth, War, Death etc. Great books. Who wrote MUTE?

I even enjoyed the E E Doc Smith Lensman series. It's fascinating to see how science fiction has evolved over the years. Of the current crop of sci fi books, I recommend Iain M Banks' Culture series. They are fantastic. You can pick up any one of them as they aren't contiguous. Use of Weapons and Player of Games are particularly good.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
You mean Piers Anthony? Yes I remember those apprentice adept books. Mother Earth, War, Death etc. Great books. Who wrote MUTE?

I even enjoyed the E E Doc Smith Lensman series. It's fascinating to see how science fiction has evolved over the years. Of the current crop of sci fi books, I recommend Iain M Banks' Culture series. They are fantastic. You can pick up any one of them as they aren't contiguous. Use of Weapons and Player of Games are particularly good.

:rolleyes: Anthony wrote "MUTE" which was why I mentioned it! I think it was the 1st of many I started buying almost 30 years ago! :whistle:

Reactions: Federberg

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is Disney killing the Star Wars cash cow?

The Last Jedi was such dross I couldn't even remember the title without googling it.

I haven't see the Solo Story yet, but it's had the lowest take at the Box Office of any Star Wars film. They've still made $392 million on a $275 million budget but it's small potatoes compared in Star Wars numbers.

The best recent one was Rogue One, the first spinoff.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This is the 1st draft of a sci-fi story I wrote. I haven't proof-read or edited it yet.

It was the year 2525. People's phones were sewn into their clothing. Cancer had almost been cured by a telomerase monitoring system where people monitored their telomerase with a blood testing kit & metre like the ones diabetics use to measure blood glucose levels. If there was too much telomerase in their system they used anti-telomerase injections but if there was too little telomerase in their system they gave themselves a telomerase injection to prevent cardio-vascular diseases. (Telomerase is an enzyme that lengthens telomeres which are the end finger-like structures shown on diagrams of D.N.A. which keep genetic information in cells so it doesn't leak out. Geneticists have found out that the longest living people have the right size telomeres. If telomeres are too short cardio-vascular disease is more likely though obviously life-style factors in. If there is too much telomerase this can cause cancerous cells to grow. Anti-telomerase injections are sometimes used to shrink cancerous cells.) Trains had machines near the door that took payments or scanned tickets but wouldn't let people on had been created. Steam & water-proof spectacles had been invented. It had been thought for a long time that time-travel was impossible because the space-time continuum meant that people could meet their past or future self. Non-carcinogenic x-rays were discovered. However, a quantum leap was made that proved this wrong & sent all relativity theories which had been believed for a long time into the wheeled bin.

Someone created a time-machine & went back to the beginning of time & stopped wars from ever occurring so everyone got on with each other & shared everything & money wasn't necessary because it's just a means of exchange at the end of the day.

Then they went to Jenner's time & brought him into prehistory so he discovered vaccination sooner. Then they went to Avicenna's time & brought him into Galen's time so the true theory of circulation was discovered sooner as was knowledge of how our eyes worked & many other medical theories that Avicenna came up with & found to be true. This also meant that blood groups were discovered sooner so that heart transplants could be done much sooner than they were especially as they ensured anaesthetics were discovered sooner & they brought Joseph Lister back in time so anti-septic surgery was discovered sooner. Louis Pasteur was brought to prehistoric times so pasteurisation was done since time began. They went back in time to when Rontgen discovered x-rays & ensured that he discovered non-carcinogenic x-rays rather than normal ones. They also went back in time & stopped coal & tin-mining from occurring & asbestos from ever being used as insulation.

Then they went back in time to prevent Takhis, Tarpans, passenger pigeons & dodos from ever going extinct & stopped hunting from ever happening.

Then they went back to the future. They had done so much that improved the world but they realised that they hadn't undone all the terrible things that man had done to the planet. The world had been getting increasingly hotter for ages. The North & South poles had been melting for ages & the world was under a huge deluge. All plants except water plants died & the same went for animals.