[Samer Kadi] You Know You Made It When...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hey guys,

I've written a blog discussing Andy Murray, his career evolution, and some of the defining matches that turned him into a slam champion.

You can read it here:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/blogs/broken-shoelace/you-know-you-made-it-when/

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
RE: You Know You Made It When...

Fantastic and insightful. I think Iona will like it.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

1972Murat said:
Great read and spot on on the forehand issue...although I think that is still a work in progress, which should be scary for the rest of the field.

Great blog, Broken. :)

I re-watched last year's final the other night on the Tennis Channel. Time and again his forehand let him down in some key moments. I'm anxious to see how he is this year, on the same court, after having now worked with Lendl for 18 or so months. I'll also be watching his second serve.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

Nice article though it has 1 small error, Murray won his first masters 1000 event in Cincinnati 2008 which took place before his amazing match with Nadal at the . Otherwise extremely wonderful article

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

tennisville said:
Nice article though it has 1 small error, Murray won his first masters 1000 event in Cincinnati 2008 which took place before his amazing match with Nadal at the . Otherwise extremely wonderful article

Thanks for the correction. I'll edit it.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

To be clear re: the Murray forehand, I still think it can have days where it becomes a liability (especially against those who can dominate him in the cross court exchanges), but he's definitely upped the aggression off of that particular wing.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Good job Broken
Congats I loved it

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Hey guys,

I've written a blog discussing Andy Murray, his career evolution, and some of the defining matches that turned him into a slam champion.

You can read it here:

I enjoyed reading it very, very much. Thanks Broken.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Hey guys,

You can read it here:

I have been saying for 5 years that Murray's forehand was the reason he took longer to break through.

On a technical level it is no where near as elite as the other top 4. He can hook it cross court at best, and he has to force it down the line.

He drops his wrist before making contact...that is the exact problem.

See here how the wrist is pointed down. Totally unlike Joker, The Bull, and G.O.A.T.

8232374629_ee654b8769_b.jpg

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

When do you know you've made it as a commentator?

When you start borrowing lines from Calitennis: "If the general consensus was to be believed, every Slam was Murray’s last chance to win a Major, and every Grand Slam final loss somehow meant his chances of finally snatching one were decreasing...."

Without the influence of yours truly, Broken never would have phrased the sentence that way.

Congrats Broken. It's been a long road but gradually I have elevated you.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
When do you know you've made it as a commentator?

When you start borrowing lines from Calitennis: "If the general consensus was to be believed, every Slam was Murray’s last chance to win a Major, and every Grand Slam final loss somehow meant his chances of finally snatching one were decreasing...."

Without the influence of yours truly, Broken never would have phrased the sentence that way.

Wow, once again, Cali, you make it all about you. How can you really believe that above statement can only have been gleaned from posts from you, when it was general tennis knowledge, from paid pundits to forum commentary? The follow up, however, was far beyond your capacity for nuance.

Great job, Broken, of explaining to us the evolutions of Murray's game, and why all these factors had to come into place before we felt he'd "made it."

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

calitennis127 said:

Jesus Christ...

Anyway, if only you can elevate your tennis knowledge.

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions

Excellent article. Really convincing argument about why Murray arrived. Never looked at it that way, great post.