[Samer Kadi] The (King Of) Clay Season

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So this is my first official blog for the website titled "The (King Of) Clay Season," discussing Nadal's historical clay court dominance and the significance of Novak's threat this year.

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/blogs/broken-shoelace/the-king-of-clay-season/

Discuss...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: The (King Of) Clay Season

Very nicely written, Broken. A lot hangs on the draw at RG imo as we may get a Nadal v Djokovic quarter final, we may not. It may be Federer at the other side of the net and the usual outcome. How will the newly confident Wawrinka fare? He almost beat Djokovic at Melbourne. How will Haas fare? Will Berdych play well here again and take out Murray yet again? Is Ferrer's great run at the slams winding down or will he pick things back up. He may draw Murray again. How well will Federer play after a 2 month absence and a dodgy back (pretty sure it's fine now after 2 months). Will Tsonga surprise and improve on last year or will it be another disappointment for the French crowd? A fascinating month of tennis awaits us all.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Nice piece Broken. Any thoughts on Madrid? Curious about Wawrinka too, he has always been a good clay court player (made the final at Rome once), I bet the top 4 would not like to see him ending up at their side of the draw.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Really excellent write up Broken.. Monte Carlo was quite a statement by Novak. He not only proved that he is by far the number one player in the world but conquered the 8 time champ on his best surface. It seemed very reminiscent of Djoker 2011 dominated Rafa in seven straight finals. Rafa's only argument is clay court rust which may be the unusal thing someone can say about the legendary "King of Clay". I think Broken I will take the stand that you typically take on making predictions or assumptions prior to a GS, its a bit too premature. Madrid and Rome will truly answer this question. However, I think both players would rather be the King of RG(French Open) instead of the "King of Clay"

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

"It's clay, it's Rafa." ain't no more looking at MC, so I guess the season may be "The #1 Clay Season" instead. Well, I wish.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

1972Murat said:
britbox said:
Excellent write-up.

Ditto. Enjoyed it very much BS. Looking forward to more.

Yeah, nicely done. I am looking forward to one after the FO.:D

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Good write up, BS. I think you make a great point at the end...that what Djokovic does this year, or possibly next, could spell then end of an era. Nadal's clay-dominance can't last forever, but it has been, and continues to be, for now, a lovely ride. :)

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions

great read Broken

"dats some good chit" as they would say in the south ;)

The next month is indeed highly anticipated and will answer a lot of questions...either way

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

Nice artilce and fantastic write up . I think you can improve it by adding 1 picture at the top and 1 small picture in the middle . It adds colour to your article and make it more enjoyable

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
So this is my first official blog for the website titled "The (King Of) Clay Season," discussing Nadal's historical clay court dominance and the significance of Novak's threat this year.

Discuss...

I sense a little bit of fear in Broken's mind about what Djokovic can pull off this clay season - rightfully so.

But I also appreciate the fact that you, Broken, did not throw in anything about a supposed "decline" on clay as a reason that Djokovic is usurping Nadal. You give Djokovic all the credit for playing great and I commend you for that.

The "decline" excuse is a bogus one. The Djokovic I just saw in the Monte Carlo final would have beaten Nadal 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. He displayed a higher level than Nadal ever showed in those years - not that this is really an insult considering how well Djokovic was playing, but it is the truth.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Discuss...

I sense a little bit of fear in Broken's mind about what Djokovic can pull off this clay season - rightfully so.

But I also appreciate the fact that you, Broken, did not throw in anything about a supposed "decline" on clay as a reason that Djokovic is usurping Nadal. You give Djokovic all the credit for playing great and I commend you for that.

The "decline" excuse is a bogus one. The Djokovic I just saw in the Monte Carlo final would have beaten Nadal 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. He displayed a higher level than Nadal ever showed in those years - not that this is really an insult considering how well Djokovic was playing, but it is the truth.

Fear? Overstatement, but yeah sure. Why is that so shocking? It's simple really. If you're a fan of one player, and another player has his number and is a threat to his dominance, what would you feel? You'd at least be worried. Isn't that normal?

It's important to note though, that the article was not written from a fan's perspective, and has nothing to do with fear, but a portrayal of reality.

As far as Novak beating any version of Nadal on clay with his level in Monte Carlo. Maybe, maybe not. But a bit of objectivity please. Was that the best Nadal has played on clay? Even you can't be blind enough to say yes. Was that the best Nadal has played on clay against Djokovic? If yes, then I advise you to go watch Hamburg and Roland Garros in 2008.

So with that out of the way I ask you, if this Nadal twice served for the second set, isn't possible that the 2008 Nadal who was incontestably playing at a higher level, would have served out the set, taken it to a third, and then who knows what could happen? If you refuse to entertain that possibility, then you're too biased to have a serious discussion with.

Now your problem is, you'll take this as if I'm talking about a "decline." I'm not. I'm simply saying he was playing better on clay then compared to what he's done this year so far, which is undeniable.

Thankfully, the article has nothing to do with any of that. But thanks for the words.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Nice article, Broken, a very good overview. Did Federer make much change to his game after 2004, to try succeed on clay?

You're right about this being Nadal's season, regardless of how well he does there. The context of everyone elses success on clay is, 'so, what did Nadal do? Where was Rafa in that tournament?'

And yes, Novak is the first to get victories over Rafa that weren't just conditional wins, they weren't just a bunched Rafa turning up sleepily or lame and losing, but instead Novak tore into him at a high level and rattled him. Took an eccentric level of play, but it was majestic. Can Nole do that this year, if last year's Rafa returns? That's a different thread.

You gave a great outline of the King of Clay - well done, buddy! :D

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:
Nice article, Broken, a very good overview. Did Federer make much change to his game after 2004, to try succeed on clay?

I would say say yes, absolutely, particularly when it comes to movement, patience and most importantly, his backhand.

Denisovich said:
Nice piece Broken. Any thoughts on Madrid? Curious about Wawrinka too, he has always been a good clay court player (made the final at Rome once), I bet the top 4 would not like to see him ending up at their side of the draw.

Rafa's tough for Wawrinka on clay because Stan likes to stand a couple of feet behind the baseline to take huge cuts at the ball with his backhand. It generally works against most players because of his fire power and ability to generate pace, but you never want to allow Nadal's forehand to push you back on clay. Usually Stan holds his own for a while before his game starts breaking down against Nadal.

I think he'd be a nightmare for Murray on clay, and hell, if Federer is playing sloppy, he'd be in trouble (but Stan would likely still find a way to lose that one).

Novak vs. Stan would be interesting, but I feel Wawrinka would need a medium pace court (like AO) where he'd have enough time to take big swings at the ball but the courts are fast enough so he can hit through him. On clay, Novak would be getting a lot of balls back.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Always a pleasure to read Broken's posts. Nicely written as usual.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Fear? Overstatement, but yeah sure. Why is that so shocking? It's simple really. If you're a fan of one player, and another player has his number and is a threat to his dominance, what would you feel? You'd at least be worried. Isn't that normal?

Sure it is. But I am just pointing out that, based on your statements and your tone in the column, you are clearly concerned after what you saw in Monte Carlo.

Broken_Shoelace said:
As far as Novak beating any version of Nadal on clay with his level in Monte Carlo. Maybe, maybe not. But a bit of objectivity please. Was that the best Nadal has played on clay? Even you can't be blind enough to say yes.

No, but having watched each of those two play a million times, including against each other, I can definitively say that what Djokovic was doing was causing Nadal to not get up and running. I have seen what each of them can do over and over. Nadal would have had a vintage Nadal clay victory if Djokovic would have let him get going. He simply did not.

Broken_Shoelace said:
Was that the best Nadal has played on clay against Djokovic? If yes, then I advise you to go watch Hamburg and Roland Garros in 2008.

The 2011 and 2013 Djokovic would have given that 2008 Nadal a world of trouble.

Broken_Shoelace said:
So with that out of the way I ask you, if this Nadal twice served for the second set, isn't possible that the 2008 Nadal who was incontestably playing at a higher level, would have served out the set, taken it to a third, and then who knows what could happen?

It is possible. But from what I recall Djokovic didn't win that game at 4-5 in the second by watching double faults get dumped into the net or wild errors giving him cheap points. I believe he did a couple significant things to get that break.

Broken_Shoelace said:
Now your problem is, you'll take this as if I'm talking about a "decline." I'm not. I'm simply saying he was playing better on clay then compared to what he's done this year so far, which is undeniable.

Fair enough - even though I don't completely agree. Nadal had serious trouble against both Djokovic and Federer in Hamburg 2008. He narrowly escaped against both. Moreover, Nadal's form in Acapulco this year was very very good, and his run to the final in Monte Carlo was no different than his prior runs - only slight challenges here and there.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Sure it is. But I am just pointing out that, based on your statements and your tone in the column, you are clearly concerned after what you saw in Monte Carlo.

Broken_Shoelace said:
As far as Novak beating any version of Nadal on clay with his level in Monte Carlo. Maybe, maybe not. But a bit of objectivity please. Was that the best Nadal has played on clay? Even you can't be blind enough to say yes.

No, but having watched each of those two play a million times, including against each other, I can definitively say that what Djokovic was doing was causing Nadal to not get up and running. I have seen what each of them can do over and over. Nadal would have had a vintage Nadal clay victory if Djokovic would have let him get going. He simply did not.

Broken_Shoelace said:
Was that the best Nadal has played on clay against Djokovic? If yes, then I advise you to go watch Hamburg and Roland Garros in 2008.

The 2011 and 2013 Djokovic would have given that 2008 Nadal a world of trouble.

Broken_Shoelace said:
So with that out of the way I ask you, if this Nadal twice served for the second set, isn't possible that the 2008 Nadal who was incontestably playing at a higher level, would have served out the set, taken it to a third, and then who knows what could happen?

It is possible. But from what I recall Djokovic didn't win that game at 4-5 in the second by watching double faults get dumped into the net or wild errors giving him cheap points. I believe he did a couple significant things to get that break.

Broken_Shoelace said:

Fair enough - even though I don't completely agree. Nadal had serious trouble against both Djokovic and Federer in Hamburg 2008. He narrowly escaped against both. Moreover, Nadal's form in Acapulco this year was very very good, and his run to the final in Monte Carlo was no different than his prior runs - only slight challenges here and there.

Cali, there has been an human being that ever existed in the history of this Earth that could have played a clay court final as well as Rafa 08 at Roland Garros France

Clay

F

Nadal, Rafael
6-1, 6-3, 6-0 Stats

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Cali, there has been an human being that ever existed in the history of this Earth that could have played a clay court final as well as Rafa 08 at Roland Garros France

Clay

F

Nadal, Rafael
6-1, 6-3, 6-0 Stats

You don't think 2011 or 2013 Djokovic could have hung with him?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

calitennis127 said:
the AntiPusher said:

Clay

F

Nadal, Rafael
6-1, 6-3, 6-0 Stats

You don't think 2011 or 2013 Djokovic could have hung with him?

Why didn't 2012-Novak hang with him?

If 2012-Nadal played 2011-Novak, then 2011-Novak would be the same as 2012-Novak...