Roland Garros / French Open [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Novak moving this match in the right direction. Will he be fully fit in the next round?

That's what I'm concerned about! Stefano's no pushover! They know the "dropper" is coming and are almost sprinting before it comes over the net! PCB was on them early, but over time I guess it'll take more of a toll on him! :face-with-head-bandage:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Shocking, but I guess that run of Rublev's had to come to a close! Winning that many matches takes a toll on the "also-rans" of the tour! Reminds me of Brad Gilbert in the day; got up to #4 in the World IIRC, but was inconsistent as any player! He could go into Cincy and wear out the top players, then inexplicably lose to some nobody early at the USO! I still remember him upsetting Becker a few times, but wouldn't follow it up with much except at '89 ATP Chp.! He got the most out of his ability with no real weapon to speak of! I think Reblev's doing the same! It remains to be seen if he'll take that next step! :face-with-head-bandage:

Brad was a lot of smart smoke and mirrors, I don't mean that in a bad way, but that he compensated for rather pedestrian tennis skills compared to the big boys of his era.

Fiero, overall I think Rublev has made some major improvements this year. Back to Back Quarterfinals with a Hamburg title squeezed in between. I remind myself he's still only 22. The next step I think is the genuine belief to win these "big" matches, Rublev had his chances both at the USO early with Medvedev and here with Tsitsipas. However, he's winning more the matches he's suppose to win, which is big as you need to build that consistency.

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak neck patch is driving me crazy, I just want to yank it off. Good play avoiding the break at 3-3, and taking the 3rd set.

He needs to wrap it up in 4, so things don't get complicated. Busta better be careful on this first service game.

Reactions: don_fabio

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak bullies Busta.
4-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4

It has to be soo annoying to play someone like Busta, who is a consistent backboard. He just hangs around and doesn’t want to go away. However there is also a comfort zone knowing that Busta doesn’t genuinely have any weapons to hurt Novak. Anything Busta does, Novak does better.

If Novak is feeling OK he should be fine with the SF with Stefanos. Both players haven’t been overly taxed so should be refreshed for their match.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak neck patch is driving me crazy, I just want to yank it off. Good play avoiding the break at 3-3, and taking the 3rd set.

He needs to wrap it up in 4, so things don't get complicated. Busta better be careful on this first service game.
Novak pushed, he knew he had to do it in 4. It was not easy at the end, a lot of effort and emotions. Busta is similar kind of player like Agut so it took a while before Novak broke him.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak bullies Busta.
4-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4

It has to be soo annoying to play someone like Busta, who is a consistent backboard. He just hangs around and doesn’t want to go away. However there is also a comfort zone knowing that Busta doesn’t genuinely have any weapons to hurt Novak. Anything Busta does, Novak does better.

If Novak is feeling OK he should be fine with the SF with Stefanos. Both players haven’t been overly taxed so should be refreshed for their match.
Agree, no real weapons but occasionally out of nowhere he slams the ball real hard and catches Novak by surprise. Novak doesn't like to play these kind of players, similar like Schwartzman and Agut as well, you need to grind and stay focused.

Hope Novak is feeling good and let's see what Tsitsipas has to offer.

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree, no real weapons but occasionally out of nowhere he slams the ball real hard and catches Novak by surprise. Novak doesn't like to play these kind of players, similar like Schwartzman and Agut as well, you need to grind and stay focused.

Hope Novak is feeling good and let's see what Tsitsipas has to offer.

Tsitsipas is a different animal. However having the weapons Tsitsipas also translates to a riskier game with more UFE's during a match than a Busta or a Diego.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic could have easily lost today but Carreno Busta did too many mistakes on easy shots... Overall today’s match showed that Djokovic is very beatable.

Reactions: Andy22

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas is a different animal. However having the weapons Tsitsipas also translates to a riskier game with more UFE's during a match than a Busta or a Diego.
I have a feeling that Novak will put him down, but might also lose a set along the way and it could be a close match. He prefers attacking error prone players, but he needs to start sharp in SF and no fooling around with neck and whatever it was. Today's match was closer than what result tells.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a feeling that Novak will put him down, but might also lose a set along the way and it could be a close match. He prefers attacking error prone players, but he needs to start sharp in SF and no fooling around with neck and whatever it was. Today's match was closer than what result tells.

I agree, however I just felt that Novak knew the match was entirely in his hands (I know all the great champs have that mentality) and if he played within his game he would prevail.

With Tsitsipas who is sucha wildcard type of player, it's a different dynamic.

The good news for Novak is that Tsitsipas is a streaky player.
The band news for Novak is that Tsitsipas is a streaky player.

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing that Sinner made the q/final of a GS I did some maths have him in the Top 50 with this result,can someone correct me if I am wrong please.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seeing that Sinner made the q/final of a GS I did some maths have him in the Top 50 with this result,can someone correct me if I am wrong please.

The commentators were saying now Sinner cracks the top 50. Depending how well he does from here to the end of the year, he could be seeded by the Australian Open.

Though now comes the hard part, after this breakthrough expectations increase.

So far this year he already has 3 top 10 scalps (Goffin, Tsitsipas and Zverev) :D
I would think alot of the other players would hope he doesn't land on their section of the draw in the upcoming tournaments.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tented

Administrator
Reactions
8D4FFB78-CAD2-4B39-B58A-19A0717CC5DD.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.