Nadal v FAA
Zverev v Fritz
Norrie v Alcaraz
Ruud v Hurkacz
Tsitsipas v Shapovalov
Sinner v Rublev
Medvedev v Carreno Busta
As you say, it's only a draw.

Well, the worst happened, and I'm sure the tournament is bummed out. (Remember in the old days when folks used to complain about rigged draws? This would surely put paid to that.) Even if they were all going to be in the same half, I'm guessing they'd rather the potential SF be Nadal v Djokovic, not the quarterfinal. Of their 8ths, I'd say Rafa's is slightly better. I actually think that Zed has a terrible first group, with Sebastian Baez in there, who is young and trending, and Foki. And Alcaraz has Gasquet in there. @Fiero is laughing at me for bringing him up, but you don't want a wiley vet early who is also going to have the crowd behind him.

The bottom half is, obviously, the land of opportunity. I don't really expect Medvedev or PCB to make that date above. I'm doubting on Rublev. Tsitsipas might make it out, but he's got young Rune first up. The bottom half could be a bloodbath. Or, maybe everyone holds their nerve, sensing the window. I'd bet on Medvedev to keep calm, if he weren't so rusty, and shaky on clay.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Well, the worst happened, and I'm sure the tournament is bummed out. (Remember in the old days when folks used to complain about rigged draws? This would surely put paid to that.) Even if they were all going to be in the same half, I'm guessing they'd rather the potential SF be Nadal v Djokovic, not the quarterfinal. Of their 8ths, I'd say Rafa's is slightly better. I actually think that Zed has a terrible first group, with Sebastian Baez in there, who is young and trending, and Foki. And Alcaraz has Gasquet in there. @Fiero is laughing at me for bringing him up, but you don't want a wiley vet early who is also going to have the crowd behind him.

The bottom half is, obviously, the land of opportunity. I don't really expect Medvedev or PCB to make that date above. I'm doubting on Rublev. Tsitsipas might make it out, but he's got young Rune first up. The bottom half could be a bloodbath. Or, maybe everyone holds their nerve, sensing the window. I'd bet on Medvedev to keep calm, if he weren't so rusty, and shaky on clay.
It will be Tsis to win the bottom half of the draw.

Reactions: 10isfan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Well, the worst happened, and I'm sure the tournament is bummed out. (Remember in the old days when folks used to complain about rigged draws? This would surely put paid to that.) Even if they were all going to be in the same half, I'm guessing they'd rather the potential SF be Nadal v Djokovic, not the quarterfinal.
It does kind of raise the question of why, when seeds are fixed, the draws don’t also follow the same pattern, that the 1st seed faces the 32nd seed, then the 16th seed, the 8th seed, the 4th seed, then finally in the final, the 2nd seed - in all tournaments.

Likewise, for the second seed, that the first seed they face is the 31st seed, etc, and so on: players have earned this privilege through their higher ranking. It’s always like this and it seems wrong.

This draw seems unfair to Djokovic, as the number 1 seed, to have to face the highest seed outside the top 4, in the quarter final, and then semi final.

I can’t think of a good reason for the randomness of the placement of the seeds in the draw…

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It does kind of raise the question of why, when seeds are fixed, the draws don’t also follow the same pattern, that the 1st seed faces the 32nd seed, then the 16th seed, the 8th seed, the 4th seed, then finally in the final, the 2nd seed - in all tournaments.

Likewise, for the second seed, that the first seed they face is the 31st seed, etc, and so on: players have earned this privilege through their higher ranking. It’s always like this and it seems wrong.

This draw seems unfair to Djokovic, as the number 1 seed, to have to face the highest seed outside the top 4, in the quarter final, and then semi final.

I can’t think of a good reason for the randomness of the placement of the seeds in the draw…
I do think there is something basically more interesting about certain amount of randomness in the draw, but you do make a good point that preference at the top doesn't have to be limited to the top 4/8. I'm guessing RG will be rethinking it after this terrible draw. But if you take away all randomness, the early rounds will just be higher placed players getting through the first week with far fewer upsets, I'd think.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Rune was lucky to get a win today, some type of injury...I would put a cloud on him

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We could take any of the Djokovic-Nadal-Alcaraz-Zverev from the top half of the draw and I bet every single one of them will say it's a tough path to the title.

I'd say Medvedev participation totally screwed up the draw. I don't remember when was a last time a 2nd seed in a slam was not expected to reach week two.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well my worst case assumptions almost all came through, Nadal facing Novak, Alcaraz and then a rested crown Prince in the final.

Having said that, what better way for Nadal to keep the Total Major lead then eliminating his rival in the QTR’s ?

Tsitsipas has a few possible land mines along the way, and “Mr. Potential” FAA gets Nadal. . If healthy , Nadal’s first 3 rounds are manageable IMO.

Keeping my eye on Sebastian Korda, could meet up with Alcaraz , that could be interesting.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think had Medvedev been allowed to play Wimbledon he would have skipped getting matches on clay and started prep back with grass and hard courts to try and defend his US Open. I think Rafa would have been seeded 4 and the draw balanced out a bit more.
I disagree Medvedev has q/finals points to defend from RG last year to begin with, even I know at times he says 'he hates the clay',at times he can play well on the clay,he has a good defense game to begin with.The draw is top heavy it happens.BTW Rafa being unable to defend his points at Rome did not help his cause.,regarding his ranking.
Medvedev took a WC into Geneva, though he was rusty and lost
Now that ATP and WTA, ITF have froze all ranking points at Wimbledon this year, just announced thankfully Russian and Belarusian players will be not be affected.A decision I back 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don’t know that Medvedev was going to fall terribly from not participating in the French (360 pts). Berrettini has QF points too that he isn’t defending, but he has the luxury of playing Wimbledon and playing some grass court tournaments. I think Medvedev could have easily made up some ground playing a couple grass tournaments and Wimbledon instead of the French if he had that luxury of being able to play and there wasn’t the points issue. I think losing the opportunity to play Wimbledon probably weighed on his mind as well as the notion if he didn’t play the French, he has one option to pick up a slam, not that I think he is in a position to win the French, but he has a relatively workable draw if he is up to the task of figuring out clay.

Status
Not open for further replies.