Roger's Quest for #1 (and Rafa's QF exit implications)

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Frankly if anything I rather suspect that Roger thinks Rafa deserves to be above Rafa.

No, because that would mean that Rafa can be at two places at the same time, and that I guess no tennis player wants that. The two Rafas could change position at every MTO and then... oh wait... good gosh, that explains it all!!!!!

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
No, because that would mean that Rafa can be at two places at the same time, and that I guess no tennis player wants. The two Rafas could change position at every MTO and then... oh wait... good gosh, that explains it all!!!!!

Lol! typo.. insert "Mac"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure why he would care at all about stopping Rafa from passing Mac. Frankly if anything I rather suspect that Roger thinks Rafa deserves to be above McEnroe. I really don't think these guys are as petty as we fan-boys are :D
I do only think fan-boys would be interested in that. As I said to El Dude, above, this is fun for fans, but if Roger is at all considering actively pursuing #1 again, then, as you say, he deserves whatever he gets.

Reactions: Federberg

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It isn't either/or: either he ignores and doesn't care about it, or he actively pursues it. More likely it will be (is) on his radar, but not enough of a priority to do more than tweak his schedule in safe ways. For instance, I could see him adding Rotterdam, but not going all in on clay season.

That said, I don't think he'll add Rotterdam, but instead stay the course and play IW, Miami, and Dubai. This likely means that he won't be #1, at least not until Dubai or if Rafa withdraws from IW, then it would be then.

But again, the point is that #1 would be within his grasp --and on his racket -- if he wins the AO and makes the final at Rotterdam. That's a very different place to be than if, say, he had lost AO to Rafa in the final, in which case he'd be thousands of points behind.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh yeah, the Mac weeks thing is a non-issue for anyone except, probably, John McEnroe.

I can't wait to hear Mac talk about what an accomplishment it is for Rafa to have surpassed him.

"What a great player. I mean, when you look at everything, all of it, Rafa could be the GOAT....oh wait, Roger just won another tournament? He's definitely the GOAT..."

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It isn't either/or: either he ignores and doesn't care about it, or he actively pursues it. More likely it will be (is) on his radar, but not enough of a priority to do more than tweak his schedule in safe ways. For instance, I could see him adding Rotterdam, but not going all in on clay season.

That said, I don't think he'll add Rotterdam, but instead stay the course and play IW, Miami, and Dubai. This likely means that he won't be #1, at least not until Dubai or if Rafa withdraws from IW, then it would be then.

But again, the point is that #1 would be within his grasp --and on his racket -- if he wins the AO and makes the final at Rotterdam. That's a very different place to be than if, say, he had lost AO to Rafa in the final, in which case he'd be thousands of points behind.
I get it about it not being "either/or." Look, I'm sure Roger's has "people" who think about this for him. And why wouldn't it come up, as they work through the schedule? But wouldn't you say if he makes a decision to add a tournament in pursuit of the #1, that that could be detrimental? I won't presume (any further) to assess why and how his team will assess his schedule going forward. But this is all speculation "just between us."

I am curious as to how he'll approach the clay season. Someone like Cahill or Annacone (meaning someone credible on Roger) was predicting that he will play some of it this year. That skipping it last year was a particular choice about the knee.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh yeah, the Mac weeks thing is a non-issue for anyone except, probably, John McEnroe.

I can't wait to hear Mac talk about what an accomplishment it is for Rafa to have surpassed him.

"What a great player. I mean, when you look at everything, all of it, Rafa could be the GOAT....oh wait, Roger just won another tournament? He's definitely the GOAT..."
I will say that, personally, as a Rafa fan, would like him to get over that threshold. I don't know why everyone slags Johnny Mac so much. He's pretty self-effacing on his old records. But I get it, from you lot, in a way: he's talked up Rafa a lot, and also calls Roger the GOAT. But I still think he's funny and interesting as a commentator.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Dude was talking about Mac's propensity to hyperbole everything and change his mind from one minute to the next... which is pretty valid IMO.

Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Dude was talking about Mac's propensity to hyperbole everything and change his mind from one minute to the next... which is pretty valid IMO.
Yeah, I think that's what I acknowledged. Most sports commentators talk a bit out of their asses, and tennis ones have a particularly lot of air time to fill. With all but a few, you have to filter a certain amount of BS and hyperbole and flavor-of-the-month. I don't have a problem with that. But on pure tennis, J-Mac is smart.

Reactions: atttomole

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I think that's what I acknowledged. Most sports commentators talk a bit out of their asses, and tennis ones have a particularly lot of air time to fill. With all but a few, you have to filter a certain amount of BS and hyperbole and flavor-of-the-month. I don't have a problem with that. But on pure tennis, J-Mac is smart.

especially when Rafa is playing, as things are slow. JMac gets more time for his hyperbole about Rafa.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
especially when Rafa is playing, as things are slow. JMac gets more time for his hyperbole about Rafa.
It really does bother you guys that Mac plays up Rafa, I guess.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like Mac, but @britbox got my intention right. He's pretty funny in how he's always shifting his hyperbolic statements.

Reactions: shawnbm

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like John's commentary in a match, but my favorites are Jason and Robbie--they are the best.

Reactions: MartyB and Moxie

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t know Jason, but Robbie is the best of the best. I hope he continues in his role for many years.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jason Goodall watching Federer is always entertaining--he inevitably talks about Roger's "lovely variation" on a shot or series of strokes. He and Robbie together is my favorite tennis watching commentary.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Roger wins the Australian Open, he's up to 9605 - just 155 points behind Rafa.

1) Play Rotterdam. If he even just makes the final, he's #1.

You forgot that Rotterdam is an ATP 500 event. So, Roger does not even need to make the final. It is enough if he makes SF there.
For reaching SF one gets 180 points in 500 level events. In order to do that, Roger just needs to win only three matches in Rotterdam
as it is a 32 player event.

Reactions: El Dude