Rio Olympics Official Thread - Men's Tennis

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, he said he was going home, I think.

probably better for him . it's been a very intense time - and better to rest , recover and rehab - then prepare for the USO where he just MIGHT do real damage and maybe, if he improves and stays within his game - even win it again.

supposing only that his wristS are good and nothing wrong with the rest of his fitness -

and the lay-off, rehab and ''try-outs" these past several days have actually gotten his hands into better shape -- the long absence may have added that SLICE as a new dependable part of his arsenal ..
BUT IF - IF -- he gets back the strength to his double-fisted backhand -- improves that serve or pair of serves some more - with all that height and power of his...
everyone better watch out.

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
probably better for him . it's been a very intense time - and better to rest , recover and rehab - then prepare for the USO where he just MIGHT do real damage and maybe, if he improves and stays within his game - even win it again.

supposing only that his wristS are good and nothing wrong with the rest of his fitness -

and the lay-off, rehab and ''try-outs" these past several days have actually gotten his hands into better shape -- the long absence may have added that SLICE as a new dependable part of his arsenal ..
BUT IF - IF -- he gets back the strength to his double-fisted backhand -- improves that serve or pair of serves some more - with all that height and power of his...
everyone better watch out.

So true, Teddy. His Rio run was impressive. I'm sure he's at home soaking it all in. He's had a few good matches since his return, but this was sustained excellence. Good for him.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Well, we all know that Brazil and Argentina are rivals for years because the soccer, if you talk to them the Brazilians say that the Argentines are very prepotents and these ones say that they are much better than the others. That 'war' is the story without the end so I'm not surprised that yesterday the crowd was cheering for Novak, if his opponent would have been someone else (not Argentine) then they would have cheer for anyone

What's your take on this @mrzz? True or false or somewhere in between?

Hi BB, I was out in vacations and just got back home.

I guess that it is very close to be completely true. Points 7,6,4 and 2 are about things I cannot be certain about and haven´t seen them with my own eyes, but they sound very much like true to me. #3 is a bit exaggerated, even if it is true. The rest is completely true.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Well, we all know that Brazil and Argentina are rivals for years because the soccer, if you talk to them the Brazilians say that the Argentines are very prepotents and these ones say that they are much better than the others. That 'war' is the story without the end so I'm not surprised that yesterday the crowd was cheering for Novak, if his opponent would have been someone else (not Argentine) then they would have cheer for anyone

Could not follow the whole thread as I was away, but this post was just bellow a post from BB about which I had an alert, and it caught my eye.

Yes, it is true that there is a huge rivalry between Brazil and Argentina (which sometimes goes beyond football), but strangely enough Argentinians tennis players are rooted for when playing here in Brazil (except, of course, against local players). I saw it more than once in tournaments here, the last example I was in is a match between Nalbandian and Almagro, Nalbandian got 100% support from the local crowd. Cuevas, which is from Uruguay (and we also have a good rivalry with them in football, even if a bit smaller than with Argentina) always had almost full crowd support here in São Paulo at the ATP 250 this year (I saw semis and finals). Don´t ask me why.

Djokovic got support because people who follow tennis like him a lot here, maybe because of more than a few friendly exchanges with Kuerten.

I couldn´t (in fact, wouldn´t) follow, as I was very far away from TV sets and computers, but I would suppose del Potro got a lot of support from the crown from then on.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice to see you back, @mrzz! The tennis portion of the Olympics was particularly excellent this year. I get why Brazil would support a South American over a European, if another Brazilian isn't involved. Delpo got great support and was very appreciative.

I also get why he went home, which wasn't far to go, for a much needed rest, while folks like Andy and Rafa went to Cincy. For them it makes more sense to stay in the (almost) same time zone, rather than go back to Europe (oops, or Britain) for a few days. If they don't play in Cincy, what are they going to do? Wander around NYC like ancient mariners? May as well play a couple of rounds of tennis. (Or in Rafa's case, one.) :(

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Nice to see you back, @mrzz! The tennis portion of the Olympics was particularly excellent this year. I get why Brazil would support a South American over a European, if another Brazilian isn't involved. Delpo got great support and was very appreciative.

I also get why he went home, which wasn't far to go, for a much needed rest, while folks like Andy and Rafa went to Cincy. For them it makes more sense to stay in the (almost) same time zone, rather than go back to Europe (oops, or Britain) for a few days. If they don't play in Cincy, what are they going to do? Wander around NYC like ancient mariners? May as well play a couple of rounds of tennis. (Or in Rafa's case, one.) :(

Exactly. I realized that too. Sometimes things that don't appear to make sense, do make sense when all of the factors are addressed.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
by the way -- Isabelle -- if you are argentinian -- whatever happened with Gabriela Sabatini all these years...? did she continue being active in the ''tennis world" n argentina? I knew an wonderful older lady from argentina many many years ago -- who was once one of the most famous Opera Sopranos of argentina - Delia Rigal ...from the Teatro Colon in those eras of toscanini, Eric Kleiber...Tullio Serafin -- and she knew the sabatini family.

so i always wondered.
I'm not Argentinian but Gaby played some exhos in her country and she trained with Delpo during his rehab (after his wrist surgery) that's all I know about her

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Conchita Martinez: Nishikori was in the toilet for 12 mins because he had a shower

conchita-rafa-bob-7779273353.jpg

http://www.vavel.com/en-us/tennis-u...ilet-for-12-mins-because-he-had-a-shower.html

So it would seem it was gamesmanship after all. Tut, tut Kei Nishikori.

what was she doing in men's change room? its unlikely she can just go in there and catch someone doing the 'wrong' thing.