Rankings (WTA)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Independent of what happens in any of the remaining matches (even if Serena loses to Vesnina and Kerber lifts the trophy) Serena is assured of leaving Wimbledon with the #1 ranking intact. :clap

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not by much as I am sure Kerber will play a million tournaments where Serena only like 1 before the Open.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Not by much as I am sure Kerber will play a million tournaments where Serena only like 1 before the Open.

All I am saying is Serena is guaranteed to leave Wimbledon as #1 no matter what happens. Of course, it would be preferable for her to win it all so that she has cushion going into the USO while trying to retain #1 till mid September to break the record.

Also, if necessary Serena should start playing in itsy-bitsy tourneys from now on until Mid-September to protect her #1 ranking.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kerbie will need to play a million tournaments until the Open. Last summer she played more than a few. I believe she won 1 and got to the tail end of the others.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not quite I looked at live rankings and if Serena doesn't make the final and Kerber wins it she will eclipse her but not by much.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

All I am saying is Serena is guaranteed to leave Wimbledon as #1 no matter what happens. Of course, it would be preferable for her to win it all so that she has cushion going into the USO while trying to retain #1 till mid September to break the record.

Also, if necessary Serena should start playing in itsy-bitsy tourneys from now on until Mid-September to protect her #1 ranking.
GSM,

Where are you getting this info from? Sunday says the live rankings paint a different picture.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

GSM,

Where are you getting this info from? Sunday says the live rankings paint a different picture.

It was posted in the official Wimbledon page . See day 8 in numbers, last but one bullet point. But, as you point out live rankings saying different things. I will have to look into it in more detail to find out who is right.
Most probably live rankings is right.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena just needs to win Wimbledon to stop this nonsense.
Some more true words. Just think if Angie actually does take over #1 after this tournament. Serena would probably have it back before the USO and then what #1 becomes a revolving door again? :nono

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah she would get it back, but the goal is to beat Graf's consecutive weeks at number 1. She has to last until the end of September to do that.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Some more true words. Just think if Angie actually does take over #1 after this tournament. Serena would probably have it back before the USO and then what #1 becomes a revolving door again? :nono

No Serena would get it back again quickly as she played no fall tournaments. I would like her to keep number 1 for the entire year though as it would add to her having it for another calendar year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Oh no, you are missing the key point. She needs to maintain the #1 ranking continuously till end of September to break Steffi's record of consecutive #1 ranked weeks.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I did the calculations myself. Wimbledon website is wrong and live rankings is correct.

If you are interested in details here you go: Going into wimby Serena's points are 8330 and Kerbie's points were 5330. So, Serena had a lead of 3000. As Serena is defending the title, we can remove 2000 from it and so her lead would be 1000. As Kerbie is defending R32 points of 130, Serena's lead will actually be 1130, once we remove last year's Wimbledon points of both players. So, Kerbie has to outperform Serena by at least 1130 points.

If Kerbie wins, she will get 2000 points and if Serena loses in SF, Serena will get 780 points. So, Kerbie would have outperformed by 1220 points which is greater than the 1130 required.

However, Serena is virtually assured to beat Vesnina and if she does that, Serena will retain her #1 ranking even if Kerbie wins the title here. Serena's lead at the end of Wimby in that case will be 430 points.

If Serena wins the title by beating Kerbie in the finals, Serena's lead will be 1830 which will be very safe lead considering Serena is defending just SF points at USO.

If Serena wins the title by beating Venus, Serena's lead over #2 Kerbie will be 2700 points.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
kskate2 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Oh no, you are missing the key point. She needs to maintain the #1 ranking continuously till end of September to break Steffi's record of consecutive #1 ranked weeks.

Don't worry. I got the key point about the consecutive weeks. I just went beyond that to discuss what the reality would look like if Angie takes it over. I know one day it will happen (Serena not #1 anymore), but I just don't want to go back to days we had when it was a revolving door because no one was consistent enough week after week.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I did the calculations myself. Wimbledon website is wrong and live rankings is correct.

If you are interested in details here you go: Going into wimby Serena's points are 8330 and Kerbie's points were 5330. So, Serena had a lead of 3000. As Serena is defending the title, we can remove 2000 from it and so her lead would be 1000. As Kerbie is defending R32 points of 130, Serena's lead will actually be 1130, once we remove last year's Wimbledon points of both players. So, Kerbie has to outperform Serena by at least 1130 points.

If Kerbie wins, she will get 2000 points and if Serena loses in SF, Serena will get 780 points. So, Kerbie would have outperformed by 1220 points which is greater than the 130 required.

However, Serena is virtually assured to beat Vesnina and if she does that, Serena will retain her #1 ranking even if Kerbie wins the title here. Serena's lead at the end of Wimby in that case will be 430 points.

If Serena wins the title by beating Kerbie in the finals, Serena's lead will be 1830 which will be very safe lead considering Serena is defending just SF points at USO.
So do you want to inform the AELTC about their error or should we get Sunday to do it? :snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Now that Serena is into the final, she is now guaranteed of retaining #1 after Wimby.

1. If she wins Wimby, her lead will be 1830 points.
2. If she loses Wimby, her lead will be 430 points.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Now that Serena is into the final, she is now guaranteed of retaining #1 after Wimby.

Wow; Serena's really in jeopardy of losing her ranking! Seemed like just months ago, she doubled all contenders! I guess taking off all that time last season after USO loss finally caught up with her! :nono :angel: :rolleyes:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Wow; Serena's really in jeopardy of losing her ranking! Seemed like just months ago, she doubled all contenders! I guess taking off all that time last season after USO loss finally caught up with her! :nono :angel: :rolleyes:
That and she hasn't defended anything. She held 4 majors, Miami and WTF last year. She hasn't defended any of those tournaments to date.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
She really needs to win Wimbledon and win a tourney after and win the US Open to have some cushion. She has points she can earn after the Open to secure #1.